Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hustle Belt Miami Preview

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
Written by Jordan Rinard who usually does a pretty good job assessing Miami. And did so again here. 

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Hard to leave out Furlow-Rucker
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

I'm not going to nit pick Jordan's effort. Yes, he should probably have been mentioned. But Jordan isn't Phil Steele. 
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Decent review.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Not a bad review...I liked the last line in the article!.

."It all comes down to quarterback play and if Miami is able to get steady play out of that position, a bowl game isn’t out of the realm of possibility."

Now for all the haters hanging around here what do you think about that? 

Four one score losses last year means we're closer than you think. Of course new quarterback, no matter how highly rated, could mean trouble. 

I've got season tickets so I'd prefer to be the glass is half full sort and hope for the best. 

AORedHawk33HawksGrad18
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I was glass half full for a long time. I still have never seen us beat UC.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    We certainly have depth at secondary which is nice for a change. While replacing Koenig won't be easy, I think McWood and Reid can be a solid LB group. It looks like the transfer LB from Navy is eligible to play immediately, so that helps with depth. I think they're one or two DL away from being a very good defense.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

Not a bad review...I liked the last line in the article!.

."It all comes down to quarterback play and if Miami is able to get steady play out of that position, a bowl game isn’t out of the realm of possibility."

Now for all the haters hanging around here what do you think about that? 

Four one score losses last year means we're closer than you think. Of course new quarterback, no matter how highly rated, could mean trouble. 

I've got season tickets so I'd prefer to be the glass is half full sort and hope for the best. 

The_SackmanRe6H5wkChiefPanicJCook32
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Two points, neither of which can be remedied:

1) It's too bad we have to play two money games to help with funding of our program, instead of one like OU does most years. After you add in UC, it really puts us in a bad position from the get-go.

2) It's impossible to change but I've often wondered if we were to play our schedule in reverse (the OOC games at the end of the season), might we not have an overall better result?

Iam4hawksJHVMUFBAlum
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    The UC game, for years, was the last game of the season played around Thanksgiving.

• skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

The UC game, for years, was the last game of the season played around Thanksgiving.

True dat
    That was then...and this is now. I remember Greg Cook of UC....very nice QB. I believe injuries cut short a very promising pro career.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    That would be a nice ending to the season. It could be an Army/Navy nonconference-like matchup.
    Re6H5wk
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    You guys would really rather end with UC rather than our historic Red Bird Rivalry? Sometimes I wonder about you all.
    skin66killgas20JCook32HawksGrad18
    Back in the day, our rivalries were UC, OU and BG and our ranked hatred for them was usually dependent upon how the series with them stood, how the last few years with them went and how the prior year's game went, not to mention how both our seasons were going. We had an enthusiastic student fan base and, at least for Miami, great alumni support.

Time passes, things change and we've come to embrace 6-6 seasons as a great performance. This makes it tough, especially for those of us used to a better definition of "excellence."
    redhawk11
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Back in the day, our rivalries were UC, OU and BG and our ranked hatred for them was usually dependent upon how the series with them stood, how the last few years with them went and how the prior year's game went, not to mention how both our seasons were going. We had an enthusiastic student fan base and, at least for Miami, great alumni support.

Time passes, things change and we've come to embrace 6-6 seasons as a great performance. This makes it tough, especially for those of us used to a better definition of "excellence."

Ah, Those were the days my friend.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Yanksalex--cute...you're just the sort I'm writing about. Bet you wish you went to USucks! Maybe even went there and you're trolling us.

Renmanco.--

"Time passes, things change and we've come to embrace 6-6 seasons as a great performance. This makes it tough,                especially for those of us used to a better definition of "excellence."

I don't think anybody here's going to say 6-6 is some form of excellence. And don't think most are expecting 12-0 or 11-1 every year either. 

Somewhere in between is a sweet spot we'd all love to see. Beating USucks would help. 

Last year out of six losses four were by one score or less. At the UC game it was 7-0 going to start the 4th quarter. They outgained us by all of 40 yards and ran two more plays than us. 

Fellow Redhawks we're close...really close. This year could be interesting. Looks like we have a few QB's that can throw it down the field (if they don't get killed in first four games!) so don't be a hater like Yankoff...we're not shitty....we're fuckin' REDHAWKS so fuckin' act like it and be proud!   Love + Honor!

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

Yanksalex--cute...you're just the sort I'm writing about. Bet you wish you went to USucks! Maybe even went there and you're trolling us.

You're right. Everything the last 15 years has been PERFECT. 
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited July 12
    Stop trolling, Alex. The last 15 years have been delightful.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Yea, Alex is far from trolling and you know he's one of the biggest Miami fans here
    Re6H5wkNickskinyanksalex
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    El13= John Cooper

Davearama= Chuck Martin????
    yanksalex
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Dodds God
    Spanks004 said:

It's "Rucker-Furlow"
  • UptownHawkUptownHawk Dodds God
    I was visiting at a local nursing home yesterday in the Oxford area and there were about 15 Miami football players playing “chair volleyball” with the residents. Not sure this translates into more wins but everyone was having a good time and was nice to see.
    agcelpalitoD_DayAORedHawk33
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum

I was visiting at a local nursing home yesterday in the Oxford area and there were about 15 Miami football players playing “chair volleyball” with the residents. Not sure this translates into more wins but everyone was having a good time and was nice to see.

Seems that Chuck's recruiting tactics are getting a little desperate.
    Bash_RiprockJCook32aba222
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Did we win?
    redhawk11JCook32QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33Love_and_Honorkillgas20grumpy1
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited July 14

Did we win?
    Yes, 25-13, 23-25, 25-18, and 25-21
    killgas20Footbalhead