Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC Prospectus Picks

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
edited July 23 in Football
MAC Prospectus yesterday released their season projections. Not surprisingly, Ohio to win MAC East. NIU in the West. Miami is picked for 3rd in the East behind UB. Probably pretty accurate for Miami given we have no set QB. MAC Prospectus also isn't a big fan of Martin, given his losing record last year with a senior laden roster. But that got me thinking how this current team would do with Zac Dysert at QB. I actually like our roster on paper, and while we will lose to Iowa and OSU, and who knows against UC, I think in the MAC we will be competitive even with a new QB, be it Mayer, Williamson or someone else. 1-3 in nonconference games is likely (hopefully 2-2 if we can beat UC). With Dysert at QB I think we would be MAC East favorites. I know, impossibility as he is long graduated, but I do think the talent is there at the other positions. 

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I also think the roster is pretty solid. It will be interesting to see who the QB is this year and what they can bring to the table. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we will really know the talent of our QB until pretty far into the season.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Miami was picked 2nd in the East by the media. OU was picked as the overall champion, beating Toledo.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    MAC Media picks Miami 2nd. So consensus so far seems to be Miami 2nd or 3rd best team in MAC East. 

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    All 24 voters picked Ohio to win the MAC East.
    I think something crazy has to happen for OU to not win the East. I think they are way above everyone.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited July 23
    redhawk11 said:

I think something crazy has to happen for OU to not win the East. I think they are way above everyone.

This is probably true, but was also true according to last year's predictions, when  Phil Steele was discussing the possibility of them going undefeated.  So we will see what happens in November.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    I think it says more about the general weakness of the MAC East this year, than the strength of OU. Ohio loses a fair share of talent from last season. But with Rourke coming back for his 8th season, and no one else in the East really showing much, they're an easy pick for first.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    It's all about the QB's. They're all three highly rated 3 star guys.  In plenty of cases on solid teams rookie QB's without  much/any experience lead their teams on to good or great seasons. 

OU was higher rated last year and we beat them. It'll be a big 150h celebration game when we play them down there this year. Hopefully, whoever our QB is they'll be well seasoned by then. 

Rest of the team is solid. We've had pretty damn good recruiting classes coming up and guys should be able to step in and step it up.

JCook32JHVMUFBAlum
    I think we can beat OU. I can easily see a scenario where we beat them but they still win the East.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    When did Miami last beat OU in Athens? 
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

When did Miami last beat OU in Athens? 

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Rourke has been around forever and that is why they were picked first. I think if they do win the east, they will still lose, yet again, in the championship game
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

Rourke has been around forever and that is why they were picked first. I think if they do win the east, they will still lose, yet again, in the championship game

It's what they do.
    Bash_Riprock
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Dodds God
    I agree with most that is 1-3 start is probable (hopeful for a great game with UC).  When looking at the rest of the MAC - i don't see how we cannot win out.  I realize that is very difficult but UB lost a ton of talent, WMU lost a ton of talent + two important transfers, NIU is operating under a new system, and we've shown the ability to beat OU.  Should win out vs. Akron, BG, and BSU.  Let's go hawks

I agree with most that is 1-3 start is probable (hopeful for a great game with UC).  When looking at the rest of the MAC - i don't see how we cannot win out.  I realize that is very difficult but UB lost a ton of talent, WMU lost a ton of talent + two important transfers, NIU is operating under a new system, and we've shown the ability to beat OU.  Should win out vs. Akron, BG, and BSU.  Let's go hawks

How good would our QB have to be for that to happen? Top half of the MAC? Top 3?
    What are your expectations for our QB who hasn't even been named yet?

DSnyder15
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

Wow. Given our inability to win close games, I cannot see us winning out in the league. I would love it, but I don’t see it.
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Dodds God
    redhawk11 said:

How good would our QB have to be for that to happen? Top half of the MAC? Top 3?
    What are your expectations for our QB who hasn't even been named yet?

I think top half can get it done.  I think whoever is named the starter at the end of camp (still a completely wide open race from what i have heard) is surrounded by some good weapons.  I think the three headed monster of DJ, Mo, and Bester should be formidable in the backfield (wouldn't be surprised to see Ontario and Kahn get some run as well).  Wideouts should be in a good spot with veterans Sorenson and Mayock returning.  Really like the TE combo of Homer and Hardy. And then you have a very veteran and solid O-Line. 

To add on I think we are VERY solid on the defensive side of the ball. To wrap up this run on post - I don't think whoever is under center needs to be superman.  Just take care of the ball and get it to your playmakers. I think Koehler is thinking the same thing.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

Spanks004 said:

It's what they do.
    We haven't won the MAC since 2010. OU hasn't won it since man first walked on the moon.
    redhawk11The_SackmanAORedHawk33D_DayLove_and_HonoragcScalper
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

Spanks004 said:

It's what they do.
    We haven't won the MAC since 2010. OU hasn't won it since man first walked on the moon.
    Some are even saying that OU killed Neil Armstrong.
    Bash_RiprockNescacdad