Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Crowd Participation

FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite
Even with a decent crowd (yesterday)... It almost seems as if fans are at a tennis match. This is football!

Comments

• UptownWhilrlUptownWhilrl Off-Campus Slummer
    Not a lot to cheer for in the first hour of the game
    MHT_Meme_TeamBoarsHeadHero
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    What was the announced crowd! Around 15-18K as per usual??
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    You're kind of new to all of this, aren't you?
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite

You're kind of new to all of this, aren't you?

New???
  • Towards the end it sounded like they got into it at least.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Even with a decent crowd (yesterday)... It almost seems as if fans are at a tennis match. This is football!

F*ck off, we were fine.
    AORedHawk33agcgentbaseball12Footbalheadgrumpy1DICKDSnyder15
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Footbalhead = football guy
    The_Sackman

Footbalhead = football guy

I am as well but talking shit to the few, the still trying to be proud is weak.
    missmiamigrumpy1AORedHawk33
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    The 4th quarter was as good as I have heard in a long time. The fans around us including Dick and the people around him were constantly imploring the defense on with loud enthusiasm. My wife and I were leading “let’s go D” cheers. When there is reason to cheer, people will cheer.
    UptownWhilrlredhawk11AORedHawk33Iam4hawksBash_RiprockBoarsHeadHeroChrisW1980

F*ck off, we were fine.

Scratches head.... LOL
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Digital hawk: “New around here?”

Don’t think so....
  • FredFred Dodds God
    I think the comment FootballHead made is fair. I didn’t make it past the tailgate parties yesterday so I can’t speak to this game. However, there tends to be less crowd interaction at Yager than what you see (at least on TV) at other places. The west side stands alumni folks like Dick know how to stir up some well-timed noise. The band/cheerleaders (what exactly do they do?)/scoreboard/students - not so much.
    JiveHawkFraggleHawkFootbalhead
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I have been to all three home games. There about 200 people in section 5 (maybe parents of the players) that seem to make noise - the rest is fairly quiet. I think the band plays a lot songs in the stands.

It was interesting to me that the announced crowd was 11,710. There was by far the most people on the home side of the three games. I wonder if there was no game sponsor and that was the actual amount of tickets sold/student let in.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    The attendance in the West stands was noticeably larger than previous games. That appeared to be due to Family Weekend. Many students obviously with their families. After going down to the concourse at halftime I was met by a deluge of people exiting the vomitorium as I returned to my seat. Many of those families left at halftime.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Box Score says only 11,700. Awful for Parents Weekend and  nice weather.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    rexjack53 said:

Box Score says only 11,700. Awful for Parents Weekend and  nice weather.

Wow - that is low attendance. It did not look that bad on TV.
    Sad to see such low attendance with nice weather against good opponent (NIU).

MU marketing needs to do something like have a band/concert right after the game to get people to the game and keep them there similar to what you see with AA/AAA baseball teams. 
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Revisit the concept of game-day buses from Dayton, Hamilton and north Cincinnati. Market our program there.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • I've said this for years: raffle off free tuition for a semester to one student who checks into every game at the beginning and end. Would be an interesting experiment at the very least.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • MHT_Meme_TeamMHT_Meme_Team Havighurstite
    The biggest student sections I have witnessed at Miami home games (2014-2017) were against CMU 2016, BSU 2016, and UC 2017.  The student section for the UC game was easily 2-3 times larger than any student section I ever saw as a student.  The common denominator between all of these games was the team was actually playing for something.  Don't be surprised if the students show up for the BGSU and Akron games if the team finds a way to beat KSU and OU on the road the next two weeks. 
    Love_and_Honor
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    There was a substantial number of people who left after the band show. Those of us who stayed were champions.
    Bash_Riprock
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    The fans are almost silent. I actually yelled "this isn't tennis" during the fourth quarter when we needed a stop on third down and nobody would even stand or make a sound.
    FootbalheadLove_and_Honor
  • BoarsHeadHeroBoarsHeadHero Havighurstite
    I was at the 50 about 20 rows up (I cheated and moved down).  Our section was on its collective feet a number of times during the second half.  No "band parents" here...
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

I was at the 50 about 20 rows up (I cheated and moved down).  Our section was on its collective feet a number of times during the second half.  No "band parents" here...

You might've been in my seats, glad you filled in. Couldn't make the game and hockey and not cared for our old dog since we live an hour away.
    BoarsHeadHero
    JiveHawk said:

The fans are almost silent. I actually yelled "this isn't tennis" during the fourth quarter when we needed a stop on third down and nobody would even stand or make a sound.

Fred said:

I think the comment FootballHead made is fair. I didn’t make it past the tailgate parties yesterday so I can’t speak to this game. However, there tends to be less crowd interaction at Yager than what you see (at least on TV) at other places. The west side stands alumni folks like Dick know how to stir up some well-timed noise. The band/cheerleaders (what exactly do they do?)/scoreboard/students - not so much.

At least someone seen and heard what I did
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    I've never seen a crowd start making more noise because someone told them they weren't making enough noise. 
    JCook32
  • Jrome99Jrome99 Summer Orientee
    I had field passes and was on the field the entire game and there were times when the crowd made a difference. Sure looked like more than 11.7K
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Bummer this isn't a home game for us. Given the scope of the game (rivalry game, national tv, mac east on the line) this could have been a cool night at Yager. I'll be interested to see the atmosphere in Athens.
  • I've been saying we should do that for years. That kind of marketing will put students in the stands, not a DJ or $8 beer.
    MHT_Meme_Team

I've been saying we should do that for years. That kind of marketing will put students in the stands, not a DJ or $8 beer.
    Or Renate Crawford doing YMCA!
    redhawk11AORedHawk33Love_and_Honorgrumpy1