Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Trip to Kent State

AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
edited October 2019 in Football
Last spring, when Miami held the Night for Red and White auction, I bid on the ‘VIP Miami Football Experience’ at Kent State. At the time, I was just trying to increase the bid, and given what the experience included, I never thought I’d win at my price. However, as the deadline for bids came and went, I suddenly found myself having to find a way from NJ to Oxford.

Well, a couple of hours ago, I returned from NE Ohio, exhausted and emotionally drained. The experience was everything advertised and more. I wish I could relive it.

The experience included the bus trip with the team to and from NE Ohio, but unfortunately, I had to skip that part. The flights and timing just didn’t work out for us, so we elected to drive 7 hours on Friday to meet the team at the hotel. Upon our arrival at 4:45, we were greeted by a member of the athletic department, who shared the itinerary for the weekend. The team arrived shortly after at 5:30 and we went to right to dinner.

I won’t bore you guys with all the minor details, but over the next 24 hours, we ate dinner, breakfast, and had the pregame meal with the coaches. We sat in on a team meeting, defensive walk through, and pregame hype video. We tailgated with the football parents (our choice, not on the itinerary), stood on the sideline within earshot of coaches and players during the game, and was in the locker room for pregame, halftime, and postgame speech/fight song. We also spent a lot of time with David Sayler and other members of the athletic department.

Some interesting tidbits I’d like to share:

1. It was so f-ing wet, the TV broadcast didn’t do it justice. I’m surprised there were only two fumbles. We were drenched. It was almost as bad as UC in 2018.
2. These players love Coach Martin. They really love him.
3. The handful of parents that I met, also love Chuck. They love how straight he is with them and doesn’t BS. They don’t always agree with Playcalling, strategy, etc. but they love him because they know “he cares about their kids, and he is making them better people.”
4. Iowa transfer Manny Rugamba had a great quote that DS shared with me, “We have it so good here at Miami. They care about us off the field. We didn’t have this at Iowa.” There is something special to be said about that.
5. If you ever get the chance to sit down and talk Miami athletics with Steve Baker and the radio crew... do it. Those guys have seen it all.
6. We sat with several of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball during the meals... told us Shelton was going to have a big game based on what they saw on film. They were spot on.
7. Coaches were concerned before the game that run game/OLine hadn’t really clicked yet despite all the injuries. We broke off a few big ones yesterday. Homer and Godlevske being out really hurt, but kids stepped up big in his absence.
8. You could hear a pin drop during the defensive walk through. Kids were laser focused.
9. Heard a crazy PJ Fleck recruiting story from a parent. The rumors are true... he forced the kid to commit on the spot during their visit or scholarship offer was pulled
10. Gabbert is really banged up. This kid is TOUGH and was born to be a QB. The 10 days off here could not come at a better time for him. I think you’ll see his accuracy continue to get better as he gets healthy.
11. Lot of things in the works for basketball.... Stay tuned.
12. Lot of freshmen stepping up on this team. Rusty Feth got the game ball for filling in for Godlevske. Freshman Lonnie Phelps has ended two games with sacks.
13. Defense has swagger. Lot of confidence on that side of the ball and rightfully so. It’s a fun group to watch. Sterling Weatherford is going to have a special career. Can’t believe he’s only a sophomore.
14. Pregame speech was awesome. Halftime was awesome. Postgame was special. Coach got choked up telling the kids how proud he was of them. This is his team built in his image. They are mentally and physically tough kids and they play hard for him.
15. I’ve been to a lot of Miami football games since I graduated, and watched 90% of the games that I couldn’t attend. That was my first road win, and the first win I’ve seen in person since I was a student in 2009. I got pretty choked up singing the fight song in the locker room with the team after the game. This last decade hasn’t been easy for us here. We are a passionate group, and passion cuts both ways. Sometimes you feel on top of the world, and sometimes it crushes you. For us, passion has crushed us more recently than lifted us up. But our passion is what makes wins like this fun, and when you suffer through the bad you feel how special the good is.

As postgame wrapped up and we had to hit the road, the coaching staff wished us a safe drive back, and thanked us for coming. They’re a great group of guys who care about this University.
———-
It sounds like the Red and White auction brought in so much money last year, they are looking to do it again next spring. I would highly recommend bidding on a football weekend (just not the same one that I’m going to bid on). As a big fan of Miami athletics, this was an experience that anyone on here would enjoy tremendously.
profholt82The_SackmanHawks24Quinoaburgergentbaseball12ChiefPanicDICKmuhoopsjunkieHawksGrad18Love_and_Honorand 30 others.

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    And always great to see DICK before the game. Miami’s best fan
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Joe, that was a great write up.  We ran into Joe and his buddy before the game and he was fired up with his experience and he said that the coaches expected Shelton to have some big plays and he sure did.

I was staying with a buddy in Cleveland and we drove straight back to his apartment after the game and I stripped off the cold, wet clothes and jumped in the shower for 25 minutes just to get my body back to normal temperature.  It was well worth it though, an exciting game.

For those who always want to say just play the November games on Saturday afternoon and the crowds will be big, not so much.  There were maybe 2,000 hardy fans at the game, die hards I would say, as nobody left early. We had a group of 5 ( Red Sea included) and were cheering hard throughout.  I can't wait for the OU game.

Redseakillgas20AORedHawk33
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    " after the game and I stripped off the cold, wet clothes and jumped in the shower for 25 minutes just to get my body back to normal temperature. "

TMI
    dave67The_Sackmankillgas20
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Sounds like an awesome time, @AORedHawk33...glad you got to experience it!
    AORedHawk33
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    #10 - It looked to me like he has a knee/leg issue at the very least.
    Jtp
  • redhawk10redhawk10 Summer Orientee
    edited October 2019
    bpat said:

We all know this, but our backup QB situation must be really grim.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Scary if Gabbert gets hurt. 
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2019
    redhawk10 said:

bpat said:

We all know this, but our backup situation QB must be really grim.
    Merely speculation...but it seemed like  he maybe bruised knee and/or tweaked ankle on a scramble as he was tackled he sort of went airborne, linebacker yanked at his legs and hit the turf hard.

• GeneGene Havighurstite
    Thanks a lot for the great report. Parents of players I have met told me the same things about how much they love the coach and his wife and how good and compassionate they are. Your report surely raises my hope for the future. We are so close!
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Sounds like a blast. I wanted to bid on that, but tough to swing with a newborn. If they do it again I'll certainly be interested.

Just a couple random questions:

1. Did you get to meet coach Martin? Or was is it just the assistants you interacted with.

2. Was there a particular player who seemed like the proverbial "vocal leader"?

3. What were the meals? Genuinely curious about what the set up is for road games.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    edited October 2019
    We should have MHT annual awards. This post would definitely be a "best post of the year" candidate. Thanks for sharing!
    RenmancoIam4hawksdave67TruckCrewmuredhawks22DICK
    edited October 2019

Sounds like a blast. I wanted to bid on that, but tough to swing with a newborn. If they do it again I'll certainly be interested.

Just a couple random questions:

1. Did you get to meet coach Martin? Or was is it just the assistants you interacted with.

2. Was there a particular player who seemed like the proverbial "vocal leader"?

3. What were the meals? Genuinely curious about what the set up is for road games.

1.  Coach Martin did not arrive until late Friday night.  His father-in-law is in hospice and he stayed with his family a few extra hours.  I was able to talk with Coach Martin for a few minutes on Saturday before the walk through.  Talked a little bit about my experience with the basketball team at Miami and a little NJ HS football.  After the game he also thanked us for coming and for the continued support.

2.  It seemed like each position group had a vocal leader or two.  There was no one in particular who stood out vocally, but there were a number of seniors (Baratti, Costin) who led by example in the walk-through, helping younger guys along.  

3.  Meals were very clean.  Dinner was grilled chicken, steak, lasagna, salad, veggies.  Breakfast consisted of pancakes with sugar free syrup, eggs, omelette bar, bacon/sausage.  Pregame meal was pasta, chicken, few veggies.  Drinks were gatorade, lemonade, iced tea, water.  The meal after the  game for the ride home was a steak sandwich with mac and cheese on the side.  
    Redhawks16
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    Outstanding post. Love it when we get some real insight into the team and a behind the scenes look at things. 

Would like to mention that Gabbert was hurt coming into this week but played through it.  He is a tough kid.

He wasn't necessarily banged up anymore or less than he was before the game.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Curious to see what the basketball news will be...
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Thanks for the write up, sounds like an amazing experience! Curious to know, do you remember what your winning bid was? Glad to hear that parents and players seem to like Chuck, regardless what others may have heard!
    CMHskins
  • MUHawk84 said:

We have a plan for what to do with Millett Hall
  • MUHawk84 said:

We're replacing the crap brown upper bowl seats with new red ones!!!!
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

MUHawk84 said:

I look forward to it. Its a really good building, outside of the arena itself. It would be nice to see a creative way to add some suites and modernize the seating area. 
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    What I heard, from a source that I will not name, is that the plan as of now is to gut the inside of Millett and totally rebuild it into a better basketball facility.  Of course, money is the issue, but it sounds like some progress has been made in fund raising.
    DICK
    edited October 2019
    Spanks004 said:

Thanks for the write up, sounds like an amazing experience! Curious to know, do you remember what your winning bid was? Glad to hear that parents and players seem to like Chuck, regardless what others may have heard!

I mean... as you have said in the past, this season is just blah, so they gave it to me for free.
    MooreHawkMHT_Meme_Teamredhawk11
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Team plays hard. If they didn't like Martin, that likely wouldn't be the case.Team is doing better this season through 8 games than last year's senior dominant team.

Coaching staff deserves credit. 
    AORedHawk33DSnyder15DICK
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite

"Coaching staff deserves credit. "

rexjack53.....ooh...that'll get some of the regulars around here going! Duck! 

Footbalhead