Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The evolution of the college football strength coach

We were beyond fortunate to have Coach D as long as we did

JCook32

Comments

• rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    true
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Thanks Professor; so where do you think our new weight room fits in the spectrum of collegiate realm?
  • dave67 said:

Thanks Professor; so where do you think our new weight room fits in the spectrum of collegiate realm?

For a school Miami's size, it does well.  At the time, the Gross Center was outstanding, and it still does a great job.  But football and hockey have their own facilities for weight lifting and training.  But it's still the people involved who make the athletes better.  Remember, before all these fancy buildings, I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while) Coach D ran most of the weight lifting out of Withrow Hall.  Those teams were phenomenal!  

Places like Oregon (Nike $$$$$), SEC schools, Big 10, just the Power 5 schools, have some amazing places.  You still need the right leadership, strength coaches, who are continuously learning how to keep making the student athletes stronger and faster, and then applying that knowledge to the athletes and making them better.
    DICK
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Thanks again. :)
    Professor_Fate
  • Luke Kelly needs to grow a handlebar mustache.
    dave67
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    There are at least 25 NCAA division 1 football S&C coaches who make more than $300k per year. Man was I a dope for going to law school!
    D_DayDICK
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

dave67 said:

For a school Miami's size, it does well.  At the time, the Gross Center was outstanding, and it still does a great job.  But football and hockey have their own facilities for weight lifting and training.  But it's still the people involved who make the athletes better.  Remember, before all these fancy buildings, I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while) Coach D ran most of the weight lifting out of Withrow Hall.  Those teams were phenomenal!  

Places like Oregon (Nike $$$$$), SEC schools, Big 10, just the Power 5 schools, have some amazing places.  You still need the right leadership, strength coaches, who are continuously learning how to keep making the student athletes stronger and faster, and then applying that knowledge to the athletes and making them better.
    Withrow Court if you will.
    Professor_Fate