Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Nobody in the MAC should want Louisiana in a bowl

NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
edited November 2019 in Rogue Boosters
I watched the 7-2 Ragin’ Cajuns dismantle Coastal Carolina 48-7 at Brooks Stadium last night. Louisiana’s junior QB, Levi Lewis, put on a clinic. The Cajuns’ only losses this year were close ones - to Mississippi State and Appalachian State. Oddly, I ended up watching the third quarter with Lewis’s father who was sitting across the aisle from me and noticed my Miami fleece. UL has a great shot at going 11-2. We don’t want anything to do with them at bowl time.
killgas20

Comments

• killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    My wife and I went to the Georgia Southern (she's and alum) / Louisiana game in Statesboro.  I agree...UL put on a clinic offensively.  Completely shredded GA Southern's defense.  Final score was 37-24, but 10 of GA Southern's points came off of two Louisiana special team turnovers.  
    Nescacdad
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    They also beat OU by 20 in Athens.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

They also beat OU by 20 in Athens.

Yep. And I saw Coastal’s opener in person - a close loss to Eastern Michigan. They are 4-5 and beat Kansas on the road. Chants got completely destroyed by UL.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Mid level C-USA team would prolly be good match up for us.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Cajuns are good....for sure.  I recall people down playing OHIO early in the year...due to loss.  Not about OU, more about them.
    edited November 2019
    skins said:

Cajuns are good....for sure.  I recall people down playing OHIO early in the year...due to loss.  Not about OU, more about them.

That was I’ll-conceived. Ohio was competitive without a healthy O’Rourke against Pitt and lost by 2 at Marshall. Louisiana may well finish 11-2. They are not particularly huge but are fast, athletic and extremely well coached. I’d much rather play a 7-5 P5 team in a bowl than the Sun Belt champion.
    We shouldn’t forget that the Belt - especially App State - has owned the MAC recently in bowls.
    Gulp! This morning, after Week 11, CBS has us in the Mobile Bowl against - wait for it - Louisiana.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I don't care who we play. I want to go bowling again and again and again. We want Coach O!
    Nescacdadgrumpy1redhawk11MHT_Meme_Teammuhawk

I don't care who we play. I want to go bowling again and again and again. We want Coach O!

Better than having to play App State, I guess.
    Nescacdad said:

And even better than sitting home and watching other teams go bowling for the 13th time in 15 seasons.
    NescacdadAORedHawk33Love_and_HonorDICKMHT_Meme_Team
    Re6H5wk said:

Nescacdad said:

And even better than sitting home and watching other teams go bowling for the 13th time in 15 seasons.
    Absolutely. I’d take a rematch with Ohio State over that. With our young team, the extra 15 bowl practices would be priceless. It would be nice to get an opponent we could beat. We desperately need an OOC FBS win.
    No doubt OOC...I'd rather win the bowl than MACC...if there had to be a choice.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Not me.  The MAC championship is what we play for.  If the bowl games were actually a postseason tournament like the NCAA or NIT tourneys, that would be different,  I think bowl games are a reward for the team and fans and are for fun.  Depending on who you match up against, winning can be big.  That Mississippi State game or the Iowa State games would have been huge had we won them.  The win over Louisville was huge.  The Middle Tennessee game, not so much.  It was more for fun.
    grumpy1Bash_Riprock
    DICK said:

skins said:

Not me.  The MAC championship is what we play for.  If the bowl games were actually a postseason tournament like the NCAA or NIT tourneys, that would be different,  I think bowl games are a reward for the team and fans and are for fun.  Depending on who you match up against, winning can be big.  That Mississippi State game or the Iowa State games would have been huge had we won them.  The win over Louisville was huge.  The Middle Tennessee game, not so much.  It was more for fun.
    Agreed. We play for championships (at least, we should).
    edited November 2019
    Normally I'd say that Dick...not with this program right now.

Winning the East is good enough...they have not won a FBS OOC game since what...a bad Colorado State team in DONTs first year?

Need some exposure, recruits, donors like Bowls game wins.
    edited November 2019
    skins said:

Winning the east good enough...they have not won a FBS OOC game since what...a bad Colorado State team in DONTs first year?

He was saying winning the MACC, not just getting there. I want to win an OOC game(s), but they don't really do much for a team other than help bowl eligibility. Who cares if you beat a couple of mid-level OOC opponents and then go 3-5 in the MAC? EMU beat Illinois this season but has completely laid an egg in conference play. They're almost certainly not going bowling. Yes, beating a B10 team could help recruiting some, but so does playing in/winning a bowl game.

Edit: This excludes UC, though. We NEED to start beating them again.
    MHT_Meme_Team
    edited November 2019
    Re6H5wk said:

skins said:

Winning the east good enough...they have not won a FBS OOC game since what...a bad Colorado State team in DONTs first year?

He was saying winning the MACC, not just getting there. I want to win an OOC game(s), but they don't really do much for a team other than help bowl eligibility. Who cares if you beat a couple of mid-level OOC opponents and then go 3-5 in the MAC? EMU beat Illinois this season but has completely laid an egg in conference play. They're almost certainly not going bowling. Yes, beating a B10 team could help recruiting some, but so does playing in/winning a bowl game.

Edit: This excludes UC, though. We NEED to start beating them again.
    I know he was...and I said right now I'd trade a good bowl win over winning the MACC game...the premise is we already won the/our division.

When you win your division you proved more than enough. Hang the East banner!

Winning one more game in Detroit ...is not as important right now as beating a good bowl team/win...this program needs exposure.

Would love to win both..but if I had to trade...I'd take bowl.

Who said anything about being 3-5 in the MAC and beating mid level OOC...not part of my discussion.

Let's put it this way...any bowl opponent this year comes from a higher ranked conference, so that win would look great.

Potential projected opponents as of now: Air Force, Wyoming, or Cajuns.
    ESPN two prognosticators have us in either the Camellia Bowl vs. Georgia State or the Idaho Potato Bowl vs. Wyoming.
    MHT_Meme_Team
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Wanting a bowl win over a conference championship is insane. The goal is to win the MAC. Every. Single. Year.
    Re6H5wkQuinoaburgerBash_RiprockMooreHawkJohnnyMacDICKSpanks004
    Depmds on who the bowl opponent is...in some cases I can see the bowl win being bigger depending on the match up.
    MHT_Meme_Team
    Cincykid3 said:

Depmds on who the bowl opponent is...in some cases I can see the bowl win being bigger depending on the match up.

I suppose. I'd say beating Miss St would've been as big as a championship.

MHT_Meme_Team
  • redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

We've gone this whole decade without a tomahawk win. I'd like to see that before the 2010's close out.
    edited November 2019
    Sure would be nice. Honestly, although I’d like to see a favorable (winnable) bowl match up, at this point I would be “tickled pink” just to be in a bowl game! Our fan base will not travel in any numbers no matter what the bowl destination is so not sure it matters much where it is (Mobile, Montgomery, Idaho, etc.). I have always liked Mobile due to local fan support and usually opponent from the region that brings fans.
    edited November 2019
    redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

Wanting a bowl win over a conference championship is insane. The goal is to win the MAC. Every. Single. Year.

Cincykid3 said:

WOW...you really talked yourself out of that one!

Comical  ;D

I did not say I wanted it...I said if I had to choose....I would take the bowl win, right now.

Winning your division, going 8-1 in the East is just as if not more important than winning, and possibly facing the same cross-over west opponent again in the MACC.  Sure it is of course part of the goal...but winning the EAST is the main goal.

As I said beating a quality OOC opponent in the Bowl would be bigger right now than the MACC....this should not be so polarizing. 

Like say beating Miss St....even a match-up and win versus Air Force at this point would be bigger, IMO.

The MAC is the lowest rated conference, falling behind the Sun Belt these days.

• mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    => MAC championships mean more than a Bowl win.

Only changing that would be as if Miami was in a new year 6 bowl. Any other bowl is just the NIT or CBI of college football.
    MHT_Meme_Teamredhawk11Re6H5wkDICK
    edited November 2019
    When winning the MACC was almost the only way you got a Bowl...or when the MAC was actually better than the Sun Belt or close to CUSA or WAC, maybe the MACC meant more or would be more important right now.

Winning the "internal conference Bowl Game" of the lowest ranked/rated conference in FBS football does not really inspire fan base or even recruits, I'd gather if  you polled any casual fan or likely even a potential recruit.  Winning a bowl, moves the dial a bit.  

Look at OU, they have not WON one damn MACC since 1968....yet they've been bowling and winning the EAST quite a bit.  Look at Western Michigan...one MACC in 25 years, several bowls (losses, but they've won big OOC in season). These programs have been better than Miami for 10+ years.

They have a nice fan base and get quality players year in and year out.  Yes Frank likely coaches Ohio up....but I respectfully disagree - playing in and winning against a quality bowl opponent is inherently more valuable than winning the MACC, right now.  

I'd certainly take both...and Miami could use both, but we are not better than WMU or likely a healthy Toledo, yet.  

You certainly could argue winning the MACC and playing well in a bowl is just as good or more important (but then you would be a Toledo or NIU fan).  

For this program, since we have not beaten a OOC in years....sticking with my opinion.  Hope we win out first.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019
    Is the other option "or no bowl game"? If so, I'll gladly take Louisiana or any other opponent.
    There is a difference between beating Miss St in a bowl and beating Troy.
    For the majority of the time, MAC schools are playing against schools from other small conferences. Those wins are nice, but a few teams do that each year. Only one team wins the MAC.
    MHT_Meme_TeamDICK
  • I bet most of the OU fanbase would trade half or more of their bowl wins in the Solich era for a single MAC chamionship. 
    edited November 2019

I bet most of the OU fanbase would trade half or more of their bowl wins in the Solich era for a single MAC chamionship. 

I'm sure they would, because that's what they need for their program, get it?  They've done the rest.

The fact is OU has been the far better program than Miami for 10+ plus years (which why these last two wins are nice), and they have not won a MACC in 50 years, so how important is it?

Toledo, also by a landslide a better program than Miami the last 15 years, only has only 3 MACC in 25 years.  Yet a slew of divisional and bowl championships and wins (and OOC in-season wins). Heck, Miami has TWO MACC in that time and yet the program has been generally poor for more than 10 of the last 15 years.

For the last time, if I had to choose...a good bowl win for exposure and to say/show we actually can beat someone outside of the MAC.

AORedHawk33