Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MIchigan State HC search

Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
edited February 2020 in Rogue Boosters
Rumors are that MSU offered Luke Fickell a 5 year, $25 mil contract. If true and he takes it, look for him to try to take his 4 star QB recruit and others from his UC offers.

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Unrelated to Fickell’s situation with MSU, but also announced today on ESPN that UC assistant Doug Phillips is taking over as HC at Youngstown State.

I say the more instability at UC the better.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    If Fickell does leave, UC would be smart to promote Marcus Freeman to Head Coach. He'd keep most, if not all of the recruits and he's a very good defensive coordinator. Interesting to see how this all plays out. The fun part is watching UC fans meltdown about a coach potentially leaving. Like they still can't comprehend that they're a stepping stone job.
    Yahoo sports reports Fickell is staying
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Yahoo sports reports Fickell is staying

He wants more than $25 MM. Negotiating 101.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited February 2020
    UC probably will up his salary to 2 mil...quality of life, no major scandal.

Hes happy, gotta have some respect for him.
    edited February 2020
    skins said:

He's already making over 2.

This is a pretty big win for UC. 9 out 10 coaches would have left for MSU in his situation. Fickell's list must be extremely short.
    edited February 2020
    Thought his salary at UC was already $2.3 mil a year.
    Also, along with traitor Pat Narduzzi, Freeman has been mentioned as a possibility for MSU HC job if Fickell turns it down.
    edited February 2020
    Well there you go...could not remember
    ...they may eek that towards 3 mil.

I've heard he loves Cincy the City and you know has a family, and feels that UC is his program.

He's putting them in top 25...so I think hes not going anywhere less continuing the UC to ND pipeline...just a guess.
    UC’s recruiting class has a 4 star qb and so Fickell leaving and stealing his top recruits would probably be a best case scenario for us in the short term....maybe Combs would then get the UC job and his recruiting roots in Ohio are very strong as well.
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    If he does leave they should bring Coombs back.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Can we raise some money to help send him to East Lansing?
    New reports say he turned them down.
    UC will need some more deep pocketed donors......
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

skins said:

This is a pretty big win for UC. 9 out 10 coaches would have left for MSU. Fickell's list must be extremely short.
    I thought I've read four coaches have turned the job down, or at least said no to even interviewing
    There are obviously problems at MSU but it’s a P5 position offering $4 mil a year plus...they will find a taker...too bad it wasn’t Fickell as this will give UC a real boost in prestige (if only short term until Fickell gets the offer he wants and bolts...he’ll likely still be gone in a year or two unless he’s holding out for ND or Ohio State.).
    Spanks004 said:

skins said:

This is a pretty big win for UC. 9 out 10 coaches would have left for MSU. Fickell's list must be extremely short.
    I thought I've read four coaches have turned the job down, or at least said no to even interviewing
    Yeah but how many from non P5 conferences? I'm sure MSU took a swing at some P5 head coaches like Narduzzi and Tucker from CU, but they had to feel pretty confident about getting Fickell.
  • muredhawks22muredhawks22 Havighurstite
    Unless you are an unproven coach looking for a chance at the big stage, I wouldn't accept the job until NCAA hands down a ruling from its investigation.
    Fickell and wife are Ohioans and for a college gig Cincy is a nice town...maybe they get a well heeled donor to kick his salary over $3mm a year and he does stay until a top 5-10 program comes a calling someday. That would not be good for us obviously.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    On a side note, Fickell doesn’t have an agent, he negotiates his own contracts.
    also has like half a dozen kids....
    edited February 2020
    I would be curious, as the search continues on, where Chuck Martin is on MSU's list. Maybe he isn't at all, but they could do a lot worse than him at this point in the process. He recruits that part of the country and fits the mold of what MSU football typically is. Plus they wouldn't have to pay him a lot.
  • MSU would be wise to consider Chris Creighton.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Bielema interested now
    edited February 2020
    I don't think Chuck Martin is on MSU's list, the way he handled Miami-Ohio State is not gonna help (and I don't mean the final score)....

This would be the best shocker...Urban Meyer, the cheater, comes back and take the Sparty job.

;)
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

I don't think Chuck Martin is on MSU's list, the way he handled Miami-Ohio State is not gonna help (and I don't mean the final score)....

This would be the best shocker...Urban Meyer, the cheater, comes back and take the Sparty job.

;)
    Chuck is on the list....right behind Treadwell.
  • DavearamaDavearama Off-Campus Slummer
    Have a nephew on the team and he and a lot of his teammates thought he was Sparty bound back when I saw him at Thanksgiving. MSU winning their bowl game ended that talk. 

As others have said, he's devout family guy (six kiddies) and likes Cincy and is in a great situation at UC (aka USucks). He's winning big and they love him. The biggest pressure to win big right now is probably the pressure he puts on himself.  

Grew up and spent most of his life in C/Bus and had his shot at the OSU job and it didn't work. Gotta say he learned a hell of a lot from his mistakes.

He grew up middle class and the $$$2.5  million or so he's making now probably suites him nicely. Money isn't everything if it's not a great situation and MSU isn't by a long stretch. 

Sorry, but we could be facing him for a while. UGH!
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    He's a good guy and I'm happy for him. I hope he goes 13-1 every year.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited February 2020
    I think NCAA sanctions are coming and that is why he chose to stay at UC, the Michigan State job is not the opportunity it would normally be.  Fickell has it going at UC and can probably remain successful there until a better situation opens up in the next year or two.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Chuck has had one or two winning seasons...he is not on any team's list at this time
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

I think NCAA sanctions are coming and that is why he chose to stay at UC, the Michigan State job is not the opportunity it would normally be.  Fickell has it going at UC and can probably remain successful there until a better situation opens up in the next year or two.

I think that sanctions are coming to UC because I want them to.