Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Investments And Stocks

EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
Why not? An ongoing thread for discussion....

My Amazon position (401k) has become a little larger than I want. No complaints since the reason is the quick appreciation over the last few years. So late Friday, I sold 50% of the position and bought BTBFX today  (effective at the end of the day). Expenses are a bit high for this MF, but they spend it wisely. Most of the equities are US-based, and I wanted to reduce risk a smidgen.

Amazon, of course, jumped  more than 50 points (about 2.5%), so I guess I'm half-happy.

And no...I'm not jumping on the NVAX bandwagon. It will be fun to watch though.

Comments

• grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    If I had bought IBM in 1952...
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Eddie, why didn't you just buy a very low cost index fund or EFT?
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    D_Day said:

Eddie, why didn't you just buy a very low cost index fund or EFT?

For the long term, this is the way to go as part of a diversified portfolio.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    D_Day - I actually own several. Large Cap and NASDAQ-type.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Took a flyer on GE when it bottomed out around $8. So far so good I guess
    EDDIE
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Took a flyer on GE when it bottomed out around $8. So far so good I guess

I have an open sell order on my GE stock if it gets to 14.
  • All my money is tied up in Polaroid and Xerox stock.  Anyone interested in a football stadium?
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockD_Dayskin66EDDIEDICKChiefPanic
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    It is crazy how some companies adjust to changing markets. Kodak used to employ over 30,000 in Rochester alone and had an auditorium which could seat thousands where they would show movies to employees children on weekends. Now the buildings are gone but their only competitor FujiFilm is still going strong in many new markets.

Sad considering Kodak invented the first digital camera in the 1970’s.
    I posted a picture of the proposed stadium but couldn't find the article. Anyhow, this is somewhat interesting:

• EDDIE said:

I posted a picture of the proposed stadium but couldn't find the article. Anyhow, this is somewhat interesting:

Some of the plans go back to 1965:

And 1963:
    Cool stuff. I still wish I could find the pic of the stadium. It would have seated about 35k and had a futuristic sci-fi look. It's pictured somewhere.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    CAredhawk13
  • DudemanDudeman Summer Orientee
    Here is a picture of the proposed football stadium:

https://twitter.com/adprice8/status/1224823284551778304?s=21
    EDDIE
    That's it!!!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

All my money is tied up in Polaroid and Xerox stock.  Anyone interested in a football stadium?

No Exxon stock?
    skin66
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

All my money is tied up in Polaroid and Xerox stock.  Anyone interested in a football stadium?

No Exxon stock?
    It sunk.
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    I like MRVL.

And upgraded facilities.
  • dave67 said:

No Exxon stock?
    Nah Enron.
    Blackbird
    NVIDIA still hot. Other than a buying dip in late 2018, it has been solid. My son told me to buy it in early 2017. I wish he would have told me in early 2016!

Side note: Ollies is..."a dog with fleas."
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    EDDIE said:

NVIDIA still hot. Other than a buying dip in late 2018, it has been solid. My son told me to buy it in early 2017. I wish he would have told me in early 2016!

Side note: Ollies is..."a dog with fleas."
    Also long NVIDIA. A fantastic growth story with ties to autonomous driving, crypto, AI, etc. upside from here!
    I hope you're right!  $30 stock 4 years ago!
    KAMUOHIO
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

dave67 said:

No Exxon stock?
    Nah Enron.

Duh, my bad, that's what I meant. Ugggg
    JCook32
    Mini rebound since 2:30 pm. 40-45% of my portfolio is in a guaranteed fixed account at 3%. No complaints. I may temporarily move a portion of that if numbers head south before the close.

Who would have guessed a virus would cause such havoc. Iran? Sure. China? Sure. Antonio Brown resigning with the Steelers? Yes.

But a virus?

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited February 25
    EDDIE said:

Mini rebound since 2:30 pm. 40-45% of my portfolio is in a guaranteed fixed account at 3%. No complaints. I may temporarily move a portion of that if numbers head south before the close.

Who would have guessed a virus would cause such havoc. Iran? Sure. China? Sure. Antonio Brown resigning with the Steelers? Yes.

But a virus?

There have been movies and books over the last decade.  So far those had far greater damages than this one has had.  I really do not consider it a surprise.  The world is very interconnected now.  The sooner summer weather gets here the better.
    FraggleHawk
  • EDDIE said:

But a virus?

EDDIE
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    It’s not just COVID 19:  The market was likely due for a correction historically, and in light of the recent runup.  There’s also nervousness about the rise of Bernie Sanders.
    Microsoft takes away....And gives back today. Glad to see techs come back a smidgen.
    What a day. Would love to see some stability tomorrow. No big profit-taking.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Pretty annoyed Robinhood went down this morning before placing all my market orders from the weekend, grrr
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I had a nice hit today on FTSV.