Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Chuck

JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
Just signed a 5 year extension

Comments

• Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    with who?
  • with who?

David Sayler, obviously. 
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Hopefully this increases his buyout and puts Miami in a good position financially moving forward.

Congratulations to him and his family.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Congrats to Chuck! Glad for his family. And this can only help recruiting!!
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    This is a high signing coming off a MAC championship. If our upward trajectory continues, this stability only helps with recruiting the next few years for sure. Curious to see the details of the contract!
  • JiveHawk said:Just signed a 5 year extension

So wait. We are talking about thechuck_2112, right? RedSteve had to have come out of hiding!
  • 90skin90skin Wealthy Alum
    Congrats to coach.  Hope we repeat as MAC champs and coach gets a major payday.  

And Miami gets a big payout when he gets hired away.  Help us afford the next coach.  If we can consistently win and  make it a regular occurrence every 3 years or so that a bigger program hires away our coach, could be the equivalent of an extra buy game every couple years. Just a thought.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Mixed feelings. Obviously I hope we have a great season next year and for years to come. On the other hand, besides five fingers also, five years based on last year seems a stretch.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

Mixed feelings. Obviously I hope we have a great season next year and for years to come. On the other hand, besides five fingers also, five years based on last year seems a stretch.

Chuck has had the best overall MAC record over the last 3 or 4 years combined
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

Waiting for Alex to FOIA the contract before I comment.

Agreed. The length of coaching contracts is meaningless nowadays. If this actually locks us into Chuck for five years then it's a terrible contract. But obviously coming off of a MAC Championship and heading into his last year, a contract extension was needed.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2020
    DevilGrad said:

Waiting for Alex to FOIA the contract before I comment.

It isn't up yet. I already looked!!

Extension was needed for recruiting purposes as his current deal signed in 2018 expired in 2021. 
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Chuck was heading into a lame duck year, so the timing here actually makes a lot of sense. I'm most interested in what kind of pay increase Chuck is getting.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

skin66 said:

He also has made some very strange decisions, eh.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Good for Chuck. Dude has grinded to get this team back to the top of the MAC. He still has room to grow, but I think he'll get there as he continues to raise the talent level. Also love how invested he is into Miami. He goes to a lot of basketball and Hockey games (God bless him). Glad Sayler could get this done as spring ball gets started.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2020

with who?

Even from New Zealand, I believe it should be "with whom?" :D
    And remember the players and families love him, plus has he not grown a local recruiting base unlike some predisessors?
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

with who?

Even from New Zealand, I believe it should be "with whom?" :D
    And remember the players and families love him, plus has he not grown a local recruiting base unlike some predisessors?
    You and your fancy grammatical rules. ;)
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Anyone surprised that it was listed by Miamis Football recruiting page but not brought up on the practice recap and not mentioned on our official website.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

Anyone surprised that it was listed by Miamis Football recruiting page but not brought up on the practice recap and not mentioned on our official website.

My guess is this is just semantics. Contract might have to go through some approval process with the board and thus can't be officially announced by Miami until so. The recruiting twitter is just run by a coach I think.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

skin66 said:

This is correct and what we want.  However, he also has the worst non league record in the MAC over his 6 years, which is not as important as the MAC record, but it still counts quite a bit.
    edited March 2020
    Previous contract: https://miamioh.edu/_files/documents/athletics/public-records/ica-2018-2019/chuck-martin-new-multi-year-contract.pdf

Nominal pay increase from $522,300/year to $550,000/year. That part seems reasonable and allows us to keep a coach we like (or at least tolerate) at a price we can afford.

This looks like a REALLY bad deal for Miami in terms of buyout, though. 

Martin's buyout is currently $1,500,000, but that number isn't really relevant because he isn't getting fired (unless its for cause) next season. Still, it sits at $1,250,000 after that and never drops below $750,000 until his lame duck year. In short, Chuck is practically bulletproof for the next 4 seasons.

It would have probably taken at least 3 pretty mediocre years for Chuck to be back on the chopping block again, anyway, so the above mostly makes sense to me. Here's the part that doesn't:

Under the old contract, Chuck's buyout in the event that HE terminates the agreement (i.e., he takes another job) was one year's salary, i.e., $522,300. That number increases to $750,000 next season and $625,000 the year after but then decreases to $375,000 for the following two seasons and sits at 0 in his lame duck year. Chuck Martin could be hired away in year 3 of this deal for $375,000 and in year 5 with absolutely no consideration to Miami. Granted, Y5 may not matter because Chuck will have theoretically been further extended or already moved on at that point, but the reduced buy out in Y3 and Y4 are troubling and seem short of industry standard. The low buyouts are going to make Chuck very attractive to P5 schools that, except at the very highest level, are becoming increasingly cost conscious about money guaranteed to coaches. And, its worth noting that the reduced buyout years align with Brett Gabbert's upperclassmen years, in which I think we all anticipate a good deal of success. 

Having no knowledge of the negotiations, I'm quite surprised we gave in to such a great degree that Chuck basically can't be fired without someone cutting a large check. Yet, he can be hired away after 2 seasons with Miami, as they say in Latin, holding its dick. 

Overall, this new deal was necessary to get done before Chuck entered his lame duck season. But, I really question the extent of the concessions made after a fairly small taste of success last season.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2020
    I'm not worried...he's either going to right the ship here and actually have continued or long-term success...or leave for something bigger due to success.

It would be hard for him to screw this up now with the momentum and the facilities in place.

skins said:

I'm not worried...he's either going to right the ship here and actually have success...or leave for something bigger due to success.

It would be hard for him to screw this up now with the momentum and the facilities in place.

And if he leaves for something bigger, there is a very good chance we will not be compensated properly (at least based on my understanding of industry standard).
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    It should work out....this helps recruiting.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    I’m not sure why we wouldn’t demand a higher buyout. It’s not like Chuck would be paying it!
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    19goSkins said:

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t demand a higher buyout. It’s not like Chuck would be paying it!

Wouldn’t the buyout be taken into consideration if another next school makes him an offer?
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

19goSkins said:

Wouldn’t the buyout be taken into consideration if another next school makes him an offer?
    Perhaps, but schools are paying HUGE buyouts to get their guy. An extra half million (likely over a 5 year initial contract at the new school) is immaterial.

19goSkins said:

It would and the rock bottom buyout after Y2 will probably make him an attractive candidate to some lower-level P5s. That said, and to the point of @19goSkins, I wish we had a bit more financial protection. If Chuck has established himself as a candidate for a big job by that time, I'd like for Miami to be paid a premium for the pleasure of letting him go. It feels weird that the buy out for being fired went way up, but we couldn't negotiate a similar increase in the event Chuck leaves. Leverage is a hell of a thing, though.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    30-45 (0.400) and zero OOC FBS wins in 6 years. Is that really worth a 5 year contract extension? Miami didn’t even hedge their bet here with the lack of compensation in the buyout.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I think Chuck turned the corner this year. We always say we wish we had an older guy who would stick around. I know Chuck wants to eventually move on, but what if this is it for him? I feel fairly confident that we will never "suck" with him. We may not make a bowl every year, but I don't think we will ever be terrible. I don't think he can be bad enough to be fired. He would have to win less than 5 games in back to back years (at the very least). He's better than that.
    I'm just not sure he will have a team good enough to get hired away. I hope I'm wrong. I wouldn't bet everything against him. The next 3 years should be fun. It's just that maybe Chuck is what he is. 5 to 8 or 9 wins each year. That's kind of no man's land, even with a MAC Championship. If he wants to move on, he needs to beat some non-conference opponents. Let's hope he can reach his goals.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

skin66 said:

In the East, without ever playing Toledo.