Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC Players to the NBA

MU_JimMU_Jim Summer Orientee
I was going to look in to this, but haven't gotten around to it... It feels like the MAC used to send a player to the NBA every year or 2 in the 90's/early 2ks.  Is that true?  If so, is it still happening?  I haven't been paying very close attention since the crapiness of the Cooper era.  My perception is the entire MAC is down.  Is that true?

Comments

• agcagc Senior Barfly
    edited March 2020
    The last time it happened was last year. C. J. Massinburg (the best MAC player in a long, long time) went undrafted, but he signed with the Nets. I believe they released him, and he is now playing G League. Demajeo Wiggins and Jaelan Sanford from last year are also playing in the G league. There are several players playing in Europe though: Jeremy Harris, Logan McLane, Rod Mills. Nick Perkins is in Japan. 

I would say that in the last few years, all ALL-MAC first team became pro. The very best ones made to the G league. I believe the same will happen this year. I can see this happening with Tahjai Teague and Eugene German

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Is Richaun Holmes still in the league?
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    As for Miami players, being brutally honest, I can only see Nike playing in a reasonably good team in Europe in 2021 (some place in Hungary, Israel, etc., but no major Euroleague clubs). I fail to see any other junior or senior becoming pro ... but hey, if Rod Mills became pro (some team in Georgia)...
  • agcagc Senior Barfly

Is Richaun Holmes still in the league?

I forgot about him. He was very good! I searched online and, yes, he is still playing. He signed a 2-year contract with the Kings, but it seems he has been injured for a while
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

As for Miami players, being brutally honest, I can only see Nike playing in a reasonably good team in Europe in 2021 (some place in Hungary, Israel, etc., but no major Euroleague clubs). I fail to see any other junior or senior becoming pro ... but hey, if Rod Mills became pro (some team in Georgia)...

Kudos to Rod...I mean "RF"...

He was "spurtable"...maybe he's playing his best ball now.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    edited March 2020
    skins said:

agc said:

Kudos to Rod...I mean "RF"...

He was "spurtable"...maybe he's playing his best ball now.
    This actually happened with McLane. He looks quite good in some highlight videos I have seen, like the ones below:

• profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    This site lists them all from 1947 to now, and you can sort by draft year if you'd like.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Mid-American-Conference/25/nba-players
    Re6H5wkagcMU_Jim
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly

This site lists them all from 1947 to now, and you can sort by draft year if you'd like.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Mid-American-Conference/25/nba-players

This lists who played but not everyone drafted. For example, in 78 Miami had 3 drafted. Shoemaker, Ayers and Aldridge.

I feel the MAC is down compared to past years.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Mavunga is in Japan. Kenny Hayes playing in Turkey. Bramos is in Italy.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

This lists who played but not everyone drafted. For example, in 78 Miami had 3 drafted. Shoemaker, Ayers and Aldridge.

The draft also changed to only 2 rounds, which had a big impact.
    Bash_RiprockDICK
  • MU_JimMU_Jim Summer Orientee
    Looks like a pretty big drop off after '05.  Really, no one from '06-'10?  Looks like the draft switched to 2 rounds in '89.  Have there been scholarship limit changes?  Is it just changes in recruiting? Or money or what??  From that website, it looks like Horizon League has had better players lately.

JiveHawk said:

More teams now. MAC has been down since 2000. Only 1 player drafted in last 17 years, last 20 years, 2000-2020 3 players drafted versus 14 players drafted in rounds 1/2 from 1980-1999.
    I like how under current NBA status, that site lists all former (non-deceased) players as unrestricted free agents. As if 96 year-old Bob Brown is just waiting by the phone for that call. :D
    MU_JimRe6H5wk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2020

JiveHawk said:

More teams now. MAC has been down since 2000. Only 1 player drafted in last 17 years, last 20 years, 2000-2020 3 players drafted versus 14 players drafted in rounds 1/2 from 1980-1999.
    Yes, there are more teams now (currently 30 teams), but only 2 rounds (60 draft picks). From 1960 to 1968 there were as many as 14 teams, but 21 rounds (294 draft picks). From 1974 to 1984 (but not including 1977) there were as many as 22 teams and 10 draft rounds (220 draft picks), and from 1985 to 1988 there were as many as 25 teams and 7 draft rounds (175 draft picks). Needless to say the number of picks from the 60s to today has decreased 80 percent, and from the mid to late 80s to today there has been a decrease of 40 percent.

JiveHawk said:

Yes, there are more teams now (currently 30 teams), but only 2 rounds (60 draft picks). From 1960 to 1968 there were as many as 14 teams, but 21 rounds (294 draft picks). From 1974 to 1984 (but not including 1977) there were as many as 22 teams and 10 draft rounds (220 draft picks), and from 1985 to 1988 there were as many as 25 teams and 7 draft rounds (175 draft picks). Needless to say the number of picks from the 60s to today has decreased 80 percent, and from the mid to late 80s to today there has been a decrease of 40 percent.
    That is why I only counted the number of MAC players drafted for rounds 1&2.  No players counted beyond round 2.  

More teams but fewer players drafted in 2 rounds.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2020
    If you want to consider him a MAC player, it looks like Matt Stainbrook made a couple preseason camps but never made an NBA roster. He's been playing in Spain (probably the second best domestic league in the world) the past couple years.

Image result for matt stainbrook

If you want to consider him a MAC player, it looks like Matt Stainbrook made a couple preseason camps but never made an NBA roster. He's been playing in Spain (probably the second best domestic league in the world) the past couple years.

Image result for matt stainbrook
    Looks like an escapee from St Paddy's Day WWE B League match.
    redhawk11Re6H5wk
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>I think there are a number of reasons for less MAC players in the NBA than their used to be.

1.  There are more "major" conference teams.  Ex., the B1G used to have 10, ACC had 8, Big East had 8, etc.  That means players that used to be midmajor+ kids are now high major.  Some of those develop into NBA players.

2.  There are more D1 teams now.  In 1985, there were just about 200 D1 teams.  Now it is in the 350s.  Midmajor players have more choices for area players.  For example, NKU and IUPUI were not competing with MAC schools for talent 15 years ago.  This has spread out and watered the talent pool.

3.  Transfers:  If a midmajor player shows NBA quality, the player is likely to transfer "up."

4.  Players going pro early:  With high major players going pro early, HM schools need to keep gobbling up more of the best talent more often.  UK probably signs 2 times as many kids as Miami.  That shifts player talent "up" further weakening midmajor talent.

5.  MOST IMPORTANTLY:  Foreign players make up much of the NBA.  This year, there are 108 foreign rostered NBA players.  During the 1991-92 NBA season, there were only 23.  Foreign players are taking roster spots that American players used to have.  Those bottom role player NBA roster spots that MAC players used to fill are naturally taken by foreign players.  I am not sure a guy like Theron Smith would make the NBA nowadays.

QuinoaburgerFraggleHawkBash_RiprockLove_and_HonorDICKMU_JimAORedHawk33

mollautt said:

5.  MOST IMPORTANTLY:  Foreign players make up much of the NBA.  This year, there are 108 foreign rostered NBA players.  During the 1991-92 NBA season, there were only 23.  Foreign players are taking roster spots that American players used to have.  Those bottom role player NBA roster spots that MAC players used to fill are naturally taken by foreign players.  I am not sure a guy like Theron Smith would make the NBA nowadays.

Bash_RiprockQuinoaburgerFraggleHawkRe6H5wkDICK
  • GeneGene Off-Campus Slummer
    Kudos to Rod Mills, not only for playing basketball in Europe, but also for being a proud Miami man. Salute!