Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami great Bob Hitchens

ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum
edited July 14 in Football
RIP Hitch. Always good to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Hitchens

Comments

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    RIP. I interviewed him in the late 70s. Really, a fascinating story.

Before interviews (after a game), he took the time to shake every player's hand. Great guy.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

Before interviews (after a game), he took the time to shake every player's hand. Great guy.
    Great guy? I guess you’ve forgotten the reason he lost his coaching job at Miami.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/03/24/Bob-Hitchens-an-assistant-coach-for-the-Miami-Ohio/6322575182800/
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    He was a great guy, I was honored to know him.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

EDDIE said:

Great guy? I guess you’ve forgotten the reason he lost his coaching job at Miami.

Yes. He was a great guy.

• EatonHawk1809EatonHawk1809 Summer Orientee
    grumpy1 said:

EDDIE said:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/03/24/Bob-Hitchens-an-assistant-coach-for-the-Miami-Ohio/6322575182800/
    It was something that happened 32 years ago, he may have redeemed himself. Even if he didn't, the guy is dead, just let him rest in peace there's no point in speaking ill of him.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    edited July 10
    =>Voyerism of women at academic institutions has a long and dirty history.

At Angel Beach High School in South Florida, some boys opened a hole in the girls' shower and viewed their fellow female classmates in full glory. One of the boys even stuck his "tallywhacker" in the hole. Please, please can we call it a “tallywhacker”? Penis is so ppp… penis is so personal. The Angel Beach High female gym teacher, Ms. Ballbricker, tried to get ahold of the situation and catch the culprit, but the fiend slipped through grasp. However, Ms. Ballbricker noted that the tallywhacker had a very incriminating mole on it and demanded a police style lineup of the male students' privates. She swore she'd "recognize that penis anywhere." No lineup was ever done. Today the case remains unsolved, but rumor has it that a student named Tommy Thompson was the prick who committed the fiendish act.

At Adams College, the entire Tri-Lamba fraternity went on a panties raid of a sorority house on campus. It was all a distraction so surveillance cameras could be installed for the viewing pleasure of the Lamdas.

At Faber College, there is a rumor that Delta Tau Chi member and future U.S. Senator John "Bluto" Blutarsky would use a ladder to spy on sorority coeds through their windows.

At the Metropolitan Policy Academy, a cadet named Carey Mahoney was caught by Lt. Thaddeus Harris of drinking and watching his fellow female cadets shower through a window in the women's dorm. After Mahoney left the scene, Lt. Harris himself began to watch the women bath.

This culture of Peeping Tomism at our schools has got to come to an end.
    MowchScalper
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Mitch Cumstein also got caught night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean.
    MowchScalper
    =>A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no holes is a Danish.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    The actress that played Ms.Ballbricker was a graduate of my high school. They screened the film for us. Needless to say, I don't believe anyone from the school pre-screened it. Certainly some embarrassed administrators.
    killgas20
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

grumpy1 said:

EDDIE said:

Yes. He was a great guy.

I knew that side of Bob, but I also know about the other side.  The incident he got fired for was just part of a bunch of activities that caused the end of his coaching career.  I believe he was permanently blocked from getting back into coaching.  So at one time I would have been agreeing with what a great guy he was, but knowing some other things about him now I would also say that he had some character flaws.
    grumpy1EDDIEredhawk11elpalito
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

The actress that played Ms.Ballbricker was a graduate of my high school. They screened the film for us. Needless to say, I don't believe anyone from the school pre-screened it. Certainly some embarrassed administrators.

Your administrations sounds like the University of Oregon.

"Can we film a movie about a college fraternity on your campus?" - John Landis

"Sure!  Go right ahead." - UO Administration

"Do you want to read the script first?" - John Landis

"Nah.  What hasn't been filmed about college life already?" - UO Administration

DICK
  • HawksVoxHawksVox Summer Orientee
    edited July 12
    Really? One of the the most talented athletes to EVER wear a Miami uniform and this is the best we can do when the man passes? I understand his transgressions and believe me no one was more disappointed than me to hear of them. Hitch let me down, he let the university down, and most assuredly he let himself down. He was never again allowed to work in the field that he chose for a career, a career that he was eminently qualified to succeed in. So it does nothing at all to pile on him at this moment when he has died ahead of his time. But I would truly hope that a community of sports fans, MIAMI sports fans no less, would be able to say something about his athletic gifts and his leadership during his years as a student athlete. Only three football players in the long storied history of Miami University have had their jersey retired, but Miami HawkTalk members (a few exceptions) can only see fit to laugh it up when he dies.
    EDDIEScalperJiveHawk
    edited July 12
    Nm
    edited July 12
    N/M
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    Good men have done bad things and bad men have done good things - we most likely all fall into one of those categories. I met him a few times - always gracious and nice to me. Not sure which category he falls into but would like to believe the best in him - he played his tail off for MU. RIP
    ScalperJohnnyMac
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    A true Miami legend. I can add no more that hasn't already been said. RIP Bob. 
  • 75_Redskins75_Redskins Off-Campus Slummer
    Can we get his name spelled correctly?
    redhawk11
  • ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum

Can we get his name spelled correctly?

My bad. Thanks for calling it out. Fixed.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Met Hitch in the hotel bar at the California Bowl in ‘86. We went out to a nearby club in Fresno the night before the game. Nice guy. RIP