Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The all-encompassing Stanley Cup thread, COVID edition

BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
MLB has been an epic fail. NFL probably won't start on time. NBA can't stay out of strip clubs.

The NHL has done everything right and this tournament should be awesome.

Great qualifying series, including Blackhawks-Oil, Pens-Habs and Blue Jackets-Leafs.

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Bonk said:

NBA can't stay out of strip clubs.

Have you seen those wings though?

https://i.imgur.com/Bufe8D6.jpg
    JiveHawkMooreHawkthechuck_2112AORedHawk33Professor_Fate
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    NBC’s audio is about two seconds behind their video on the Chicago/Edmonton game. It’s either that or Doc Emrick went senile during the Covid shut-down.
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    Having to deal with Pierre has to kill a lot of brain cells.

4-1 Blackhawks!
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

NBC’s audio is about two seconds behind their video on the Chicago/Edmonton game. It’s either that or Doc Emrick went senile during the Covid shut-down.

Didn’t they say the feed would be behind a few seconds to edit out some chirping?

Edmonton came ready to play didn’t they?
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    moose said:

JohnnyMac said:

Didn’t they say the feed would be behind a few seconds to edit out some chirping?

If they were doing that, they would just make everything lag behind, not just the audio. Right? I did notice it a lot in the first game.

redhawk11 said:

moose said:

JohnnyMac said:

If they were doing that, they would just make everything lag behind, not just the audio. Right? I did notice it a lot in the first game.

Makes sense, unless they’re just not used to it. Isn’t Doc sitting at home broadcasting? Maybe that’s it.

And, how many cameras do they have in Toronto? How are there only two different views of the high hit on Boychuck? You would think they would have extra cameras for these games, not fewer.
    moose said:

redhawk11 said:

moose said:

JohnnyMac said:

Makes sense, unless they’re just not used to it. Isn’t Doc sitting at home broadcasting? Maybe that’s it.

The audio on the Islanders game is synced.

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited August 1
     Looks like Flyers will miss Rask tomorrow.
    I like the NHL arena set up better than the NBA with cardboard cut outs. They aren’t going as crazy with fake noise either like some of the MLS tourney games I watched.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    moose said:

I like the NHL arena set up better than the NBA with cardboard cut outs. They aren’t going as crazy with fake noise either like some of the MLS tourney games I watched.

I too noticed hockey sounded a lot more normal than the other sports, that said the sounds of the rink (skates stopping, pucks hitting sticks, etc...) are naturally quite loud so it’s not as big of a difference. Watching Rangers/Hurricanes reminded me of an Olympic hockey game.
    dudis41 said:

moose said:

I too noticed hockey sounded a lot more normal than the other sports, that said the sounds of the rink (skates stopping, pucks hitting sticks, etc...) are naturally quite loud so it’s not as big of a difference. Watching Rangers/Hurricanes reminded me of an Olympic hockey game.
    Agree with both of you on all counts. The blue coverings on the rakes of seats meshes with the ice.

I saw the NBA setup for about five seconds and LOLed. Looks like something a teenager would have rigged up in the 1980s.

I'm bragging because the NHL got this right and the NHL never gets anything right.

Bonk said:

dudis41 said:

moose said:

Agree with both of you on all counts. The blue coverings on the rakes of seats meshes with the ice.

I saw the NBA setup for about five seconds and LOLed. Looks like something a teenager would have rigged up in the 1980s.

I'm bragging because the NHL got this right and the NHL never gets anything right.

I’m surprised they added those huge video screens. I think most sports would have just went the route of rotating through digital ads, but I haven’t noticed those running if they are.
    Bonk
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited August 1
    You don't have to be a Devils fan to enjoy this, although if you enjoyed Seinfeld, it helps. Fans loved it. Old clip.

mooseLove_and_Honor
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    A real shame watching the Pens lose to a crappy Habs team. A real shame.
    Professor_Fate
    https://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/la-mise-en-echec-de-tkachuk-sur-scheifele-divise-les-opinions/

Quotes on the Matthew Tkachuk-Mark Scheifele collision.

Matthew Tkachuk:

“I’m backchecking on him and it’s such an accident. I felt terrible from the result of it. I remember he was turning away, I just went in and my left skate had a little bit of speed wobbles and I was probably moving too fast for myself and was going down and my leg just collided with it and it looked like it jammed him up. His body was going one way but the way I hit him his leg was going one way. I feel terrible.”

Paul Maurice:

“It was intentional. It was a filthy, dirty kick to the back of the leg, You can't see it on the program feed, but you take the blueline feed and you zoom in. He went after the back of his leg. Could have cut his Achilles. Could have ended the man's career. it’s an absolutely filthy, disgusting hit.”

Mike Rupp:

“Mark Scheifele is one of my favorite players to watch in the game... with that said, to suggest that Matthew Tkachuk had “intention” in that hit is absolutely ridiculous! Terrible result, but that’s a careless accusation to make.”

Chris Wideman:

“Lot of Matthew Tkachuk bullshit out there right now. He’s not even capable of intentionally hurting someone with his skates in that situation. No disrespect but there are a small % of players that can skate well enough to do that intentially and he ain’t one of them.”
    Roslovic with 2 assists to even up with the Flames.

Hard to see them winning without Scheifele and Laine though.

Coleman’s bolts tied late with the caps in the East round robin.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Sooooooo...McDavid eh? Imagine how incredible he would be if he were in a major market like Columbus?
    elpalito
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

Sooooooo...McDavid eh? Imagine how incredible he would be if he were in a major market like Columbus?

Rico's fault he didn't come to Miami  ;D
    mooseThe_Sackman
    Barzal goes in hard to the boards, looks horrible, doesn’t miss a shift.

Muzzin stretchered off after an awkward fall that didn’t look too bad. He will be in quarantine protocol again after being released from the hospital.

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

I take the blame for that 4-0 loss to Edmonton back in 2019. But to see McDavid just blow by everyone and them dump off the puck for the assist was a thing of beauty. Seeing him do it 3 times towards the net I was behind was worth the money for the seats.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    moose said:

Muzzin stretchered off after an awkward fall that didn’t look too bad. He will be in quarantine protocol again after being released from the hospital.

Should Barzal have been looked at?

elpalito said:

moose said:

Should Barzal have been looked at?

Probably should have been taken to the dark room, he flipped and went head first into the boards hard.
    The top seed in the East went 0-2, won’t be the top seed.
    The top seed in the West went 0-2, won’t be the top seed.

11 Arizona knocks out Nashville.

12 Montreal knocks out Pittsburgh.

12 Chicago over Edmonton

These series are crazy.
    So . . . 37.5% chance Edmonton, Pittsburgh, or Toronto gets Lafreniere. Nice system.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    JohnnyMac said:

So . . . 37.5% chance Edmonton, Pittsburgh, or Toronto gets Lafreniere. Nice system.

I agree!
    JohnnyMac said:

3 extra attacker goals.

Not so fast.
    JohnnyMac said:

Wow. What a jinx by JohnnyMac. Posted that when Toronto was down 0-3. I will respectfully remove Toronto from the above list (for now).
    moose
    JohnnyMac said:

To be fair, there was only a 2 percent chance that top pick went to the eighth-worst team.

I'm all for not automatically rewarding teams that tank.