Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC football -- the re-MACTIONing

grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
edited September 25 in Football
According to Stadium.

Comments

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Report says they'll try in the spring. Crushing
    UptownHawk
    What happens to our seniors? Will any of them try to jump to a conference that is trying to play this fall? What a mess
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    COVID sucks dog balls.
    Quinoaburger
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    My initial reaction was this blows and it does. So how does playing in the spring alleviate the financial hit? I don't see it. This will impact our recruiting class potentially as well. On transfers it depends I guess what other G5 schools do. I suppose we could lose players to the likes of UC, Marshall, WKU etc but I don't see many going P5. They Would be there already. I guess from Miami's perspective if you aren't having students on campus until Sept 21 or whatever it doesn't look good to be playing FB. Although on the other hand that lessens the chance of exposure.
    Mowch
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I hate it- i understand (maybe not agree) with the covid part.

I dont understand how the articles are saying its the money part. The contracts must not have been as clean on the pandemic as i thought. Seems like a terrible money decision. If any conference could deal with no fans it would be ours
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    The silver lining?

We’ll remain defending champs through 2020.
    JCook32Professor_FatenaptownHawk
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

The silver lining?

We’ll remain defending champs through 2020.

We might be the last MAC champs ever
    JohnnyMacQuinoaburgerDICK
    Hate to say it, but I'm almost left having to hope that none of the other conferences will play either.
    The MAC reached its decision Saturday morning in a vote by the league’s presidents, sources said. The conference presidents initially met Thursday to finalize the league’s scheduling format. However, Northern Illinois president Lisa Freeman, a former research scientist at the University of Rochester School of Medicine, indicated her school would not play this fall because of the health and safety concerns, sources said.

“The league didn’t like the look of NIU going out on their own and not playing,” said a source, explaining the MAC’s non-vote on Thursday.
    MowchDICKnaptownHawk
    Latest report is B10 is meeting today, all options on the table including canceling the season.
    B10 canceling season would make me feel better! In its place they can have a cage match between Ryan Day and Jim Harbaugh!!
    grumpy1DICK
    That same financial hit is still there in the spring if they play then UNLESS all the buy games come back. But it seems to me they would have to play a shortened season anyway in the spring otherwise these kids have no time to let their bodies recover. I suppose MAC could play fewer conference games to allow for playing of buy games-assuming P5 teams even want to do them. I'm not sure if I were P5 I would play buy games in the spring.
    The other discussion was closed, perhaps because it was viewed as redundant. However, this simply says football. Keep in mind, so many more student athletes are impacted as ALL fall sports are off. This sucks!!
    MowchFraggleHawk
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    I fear that we're just ahead of the curve and that no football will happen this season.
    19goSkinsmuhawkskin66
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Meanwhile, Taiwan and New Zealand have holding sporting events with fans in attendance for months.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    If we can't play a spring schedule with buy games, it's hard to see how the conference survives this.
    redhawk11
    I know he has a lot on his plate right now, but it would be nice to hear from DS sometime next week.
    MacCrackenAORedHawk33
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Actually, I am good with this.  The optimistic view has been that we will have some covid cures available by the end of the year.  Assuming that is true, we could possibly have Spring football this year with cheerleaders and band and fans. ESPN family of networks will cover all our games.  Think games in March, April, and May.  I would also predict that we will not be the only ones playing in the Spring, but If we are I guess we could schedule a non league game or two with the Ivy League teams.  If not, we could play every MAC team once for an 11 game schedule, or scale it back to 8 MAC games and then the championship games.  If a couple of other leagues would also move to Spring, that sets up the possibility of non league or postseason Bowl games.

As far as Fall entertainment, it will still be busy for sports fans.  We are looking at NBA, MLB, and NHL playoffs plus a possible full season of NFL games.  College football, with players living on campus and attending classes, is almost impossible to pull off safely.  Maybe a school which is doing online education with no students on campus could have a bubble like atmosphere and make it work.

I really do not expect any football players to transfer over this.  I do expect that we will have a season in the Spring and that it will be better than what would happen this Fall.
    Redhawks16naptownHawk
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Actually, I am good with this.  The optimistic view has been that we will have some covid cures available by the end of the year.  Assuming that is true, we could possibly have Spring football this year with cheerleaders and band and fans. ESPN family of networks will cover all our games.  Think games in March, April, and May.  I would also predict that we will not be the only ones playing in the Spring, but If we are I guess we could schedule a non league game or two with the Ivy League teams.  If not, we could play every MAC team once for an 11 game schedule, or scale it back to 8 MAC games and then the championship games.  If a couple of other leagues would also move to Spring, that sets up the possibility of non league or postseason Bowl games.

As far as Fall entertainment, it will still be busy for sports fans.  We are looking at NBA, MLB, and NHL playoffs plus a possible full season of NFL games.  College football, with players living on campus and attending classes, is almost impossible to pull off safely.  Maybe a school which is doing online education with no students on campus could have a bubble like atmosphere and make it work.

I really do not expect any football players to transfer over this.  I do expect that we will have a season in the Spring and that it will be better than what would happen this Fall.
    I'm with you, Dick.  It'd be fun going to an afternoon baseball or softball game and then to an evening football game.
    naptownHawk
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Latest report is B10 is meeting today, all options on the table including canceling the season.

Detroit Free Press is reporting the B10 commish wants a spring season.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

Detroit Free Press is reporting the B10 commish wants a spring season.
    If all conferences agree to this, would the fall 2020 schedules simply be shifted to the spring? Is that feasible?
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    The MACs best hope now is for some/all P5 conferences to cancel as well. Otherwise this may be the end of some of the MAC programs in D1. Personally, I’d love for the MAC to die a quick death and for MU to attempt to join another G5 conf. I could also see some reshuffling of conferences to better align geographically.
    Sunbelt East or Conf USA East Divs would be a lot of fun. Beats Buffalo, Akron, Kent, etc...
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Most of those schools are a long way from Oxford.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    96Skins said:

The MACs best hope now is for some/all P5 conferences to cancel as well. Otherwise this may be the end of some of the MAC programs in D1. Personally, I’d love for the MAC to die a quick death and for MU to attempt to join another G5 conf. I could also see some reshuffling of conferences to better align geographically.
    Sunbelt East or Conf USA East Divs would be a lot of fun. Beats Buffalo, Akron, Kent, etc...

"Traveling" is not spelled f-u-n.

DICK
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    There a few players that have a shot a being drafted, wonder how this affects them?
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Emotionally this is a significant disappointment, especially now with good reason to expect winning seasons.

On the other hand, Miami is an academic body first and foremost. The health and welfare of the students is a priority. Personally I will donate extra to try to help and hope others do the same. I also hope, if they cannot play in the spring, it doesn’t count against their class level plus allow schools to gray shirt the entering class of 2020 and give them an extra year with the same 4 years of ‘lettering’.

It will be also interesting to watch, since we worry about our players trying to ‘move up’ while ignoring or discounting some P5 players may want to move closer to home. Just as Malik Verdon from Hamilton who thoughtfully wanted to be close to his grandmother and committed to Miami. For the short term there will be a logjam of talent which will swing both ways when considering impact on mid majors.

Regarding pro sports, deciding to play most the major male sports, especially football and basketball is a greedy move and a bad example to amateur sports. You can’t expect sweating, spitting, huffing/puffing players to not catch and spread. There is never a shortage of examples of their immaturity in the press. The owners think with their wallets and could care less about their safety. Listening to someone on ESPN the other day, they made a great argument regarding pro’s playing at all when considering their health. He said if the NFL owners truly cared about their players, they should provide dates where the player could hit the pause button without penalty, including a couple weeks into the season. He cited offensive/defensive lineman as an example, Looking at the ‘intimacy’ they have at the line.

Hopefully this is a once in 100 years event, as some state, and won’t discuss it again in our lifetimes.
    naptownHawk
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Sad, but hardly surprising. I’m really glad my wife and I went to the bowl game. Bring on Saturday Pickleball.
    FraggleHawk
  • VoxRedHawksVoxRedHawks Dodds God
    David Sayler Press Conference

• laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    This is a extremely misguided decision. I doubt there will be any Spring season.

Games in March, April and May? How does that work competing with basketball, baseball, hockey etc.

TV contracts are already in place for those sports. ESPN is going to carry MAC football rather than MLB etc.?

The financial considerations are disastrous for Miami athletics.

Most of the football budget are fixed costs. Coaches and staff salaries. You still need to honor scholarships. No football means no TV revenue in the Fall. No tickets sold. In addition, with no sports how can you charge students the activity fee in the Fall? I would also expect a precipitous drop in alumni contributions to Red and White etc.

Therefore, you have almost all the costs and almost no revenues.

There was a reason that the NCAA only gave out one death penalty sanction. It was almost impossible for SMU to come back after that occurred. 

This is like a death penalty for MAC football.

If true that NIU did not want to play let them commit suicide. This is self-inflicted.

If Miami and some other MAC schools were smart they would go their own way. 

I still think it is ironic that Miami played most its games during Spanish flu pandemic when that age group was most at risk.

A lot has changed in 100 years. It does appear to have been for the better.

To date, there have been less than 800 hospitalizations of those under age 30 in the state of Ohio for Covid since March.
    This is out of over 4.5 million people. That is a rate of about 18 per 100,000. Last year, the hospitalization rate for seasonal flu for those ages 18-49 was 28.6 per 100,000

If this decision is not based on legitimate financial issues or health and safety issues what is it based on?

DICKBlackbirdMacCracken