Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2020 Football Coaching Carousel

What, you thought no one would get fired in These Unprecedented Times?

Per Yahoo, Southern Miss has parted ways with Jay Hopson.
AORedHawk33Love_and_Honor

Comments

• Taking on a buyout worth at least a couple hundred thousand dollars (if not more) with these economic conditions? It's a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off for 'em.  
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2020

Taking on a buyout worth at least a couple hundred thousand dollars (if not more) with these economic conditions? It's a bold strategy Cotton let's see if it pays off for 'em.  

Hopson was already on the thinnest of ice. He tried to hire Art Briles as an assistant just after he got fired by Baylor.  He tried to give a scholarship to a juco who'd raped two women at knifepoint without clearing it with the admissions office first.  In both cases, the administration found out and shut it down. Supposedly, the money folks at USM tried to push him out last year but couldn't come up with the buyout. Now, one game into the season (giving them a decent argument for paying a lower buyout), they could. That loss to USA made it pretty clear that USM won't be living up to its fans' standards this season.
    edited November 2020
    Dan Wolken reporting that Utah State will part ways with Gary Andersen.
  • Dan Wolken reporting that Utah State will part ways with Gary Andersen.

Not a ton of coaches work out in their second stint with the same team.

How long until Harbaugh starts really feeling the pressure? Michigan isn't paying him the fourth highest salary in college football to finish third in their division, get smashed into glue by OSU, and lose their bowl game every season.
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    And Harbaugh is losing to Indiana today..
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    Michigan lose
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    greggie76 said:

Michigan lose

Can this day get any better?
    CMHskins
  • Dan Wolken reporting that Utah State will part ways with Gary Andersen.

One of the biggest frauds in college football coaching. He gets dragged to one good season by Dave Aranda and Chuckie Keeton and he somehow manages to parlay that into three subsequent jobs and millions of dollars despite below average to horrendous results on the field and assholish behavior off the field.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

Dan Wolken reporting that Utah State will part ways with Gary Andersen.

One of the biggest frauds in college football coaching. He gets dragged to one good season by Dave Aranda and Chuckie Keeton and he somehow manages to parlay that into three subsequent jobs and millions of dollars despite below average to horrendous results on the field and assholish behavior off the field.
    This
  • Will Muschamp out at South Carolina, per Bruce Feldman.
  • Will Muschamp out at South Carolina, per Bruce Feldman.

Wait, so you're telling me the guy who failed at Florida also failed at South Carolina? How could anyone have seen this coming?
    RedseaBash_RiprockLove_and_Honor
    Derek Mason out at Vandy. The day after he got to coach a female kicker.
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    edited November 2020
    Will be shocking if SC makes a decent hire and VU doesn’t deserve one with their lack of commitment to FB. MU has better facilities than VU and SC has a baseball coach making his second FB hire (after two failed baseball hires). SCs only hope is they have a new Pres that may take things over in the search. VUs only hope is if Nashville native and former VU player Clark Lea comes back (DC at ND) and demands major upgrades.
    edited November 2020
    19goSkins said:

Derek Mason out at Vandy. The day after he got to coach a female kicker.

Her comments about the team’s complete lack of passion were the end of his tenure, IMO. No reason to let him finish the season if other coaches on the staff feel like they’re discouraged from trying to motivate the players.

https://twitter.com/courtneyrcronin/status/1333103207573118977?s=21
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    "She kicked a ball 30 yards and now she's Rudy?"
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Well, technically, by kicking a ball 30 yards, she had contributed more to her team on the field than Rudy had for years! 
  • EDDIE said:

Bigger football achievement than Rudy ever had, to be fair
    grumpy1QuinoaburgerDevilGradredhawk11
    EDDIE said:

Rudy was offsides.
    skipatrollerEDDIEelpalitoLove_and_Honor
  • skipatrollerskipatroller Senior Barfly
    April Goss from Kent State was a kicker on their roster from 2012-15
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

EDDIE said:

Rudy was offsides.
    It’s true.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2020

And I saw in person Katie Hneida (spelling?) try an extra point for New Mexico in the Las Vegas Bowl.  It was an afternoon game, probably Christmas Day.  She scored two points in her career. The girl at Vandy was actually the third D-1 female placekicker, just the first at a P5 school.
    FraggleHawk
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    The Vandy lady was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week. One 30 yard kickoff. In some games it might have been mistaken for an offside kick. Participation trophies are being taken to a whole new level.
  • laxdaddy said:

The Vandy lady was named SEC Special Teams Player of the Week. One 30 yard kickoff. In some games it might have been mistaken for an offside kick. Participation trophies are being taken to a whole new level.

In a world where there’s a whole mythology around Rudy that includes a big-ticket Hollywood movie, “participation trophy” complaints about Sarah Fuller may say more about the person complaining than they do society as a whole.
    Bash_Riprockgrumpy1gentbaseball12redhawk11digitalhawkIam4hawks
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

Co-SEC special teams player of the week along with a Florida player who had a 50 yard punt return TD.

Were you similarly upset when Jake Olson (who is blind) was the PAC12 Special Teams player of the Week in 2017 after he was the long snapper for a single PAT?
    Quinoaburgerthechuck_2112grumpy1skin66muhawkredhawk11
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I agree with Laxdaddy giving out the award for a squib kick or a blind snap is the ultimate participation trophy. Perhaps there is another recognition more appropriate for these accomplishments. Since it was co SEC award I guess it doesnt matter.

It would have been much better if Vandy had scored and she was 3-3 on extra points (I am sure she could do it) but Vandy stinks compared to the rest of the SEC and there are no guarantees they will score again
    EDDIE
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Off-Campus Slummer
    edited December 2020

And I saw in person Katie Hneida (spelling?) try an extra point for New Mexico in the Las Vegas Bowl.  It was an afternoon game, probably Christmas Day.  She scored two points in her career. The girl at Vandy was actually the third D-1 female placekicker, just the first at a P5 school.

The VU female kicker story was a very nice story overall, but I did not like the fact that they overlooked the U of NM kicker who was the first FBS Female Kicker in a an FBS game. 
    I did not hear them mention her. 

It was a lot about “the Power 5” which annoyed me a bit. 
    3rd FBS female kicker still is a good story, but tell it as it is.

If the mighty Power 5 is so elite why are there 7 NON-Power 5 teams in top 25 in Coaches Poll and 9 more NON-Power 5 teams getting votes (16) in the rough top 40 or so plus 2 in the top 10 in the CBS poll?

To get back on target since this is a coaching carousel topic:
    Vandy will always have a tough time being far the best academic school in the SEC and also being not very big either. He was 6th winningest coach there (still with big losing record) and did take them to 2 bowls. How many bowls has Vandy been too? (We know not many.)

Akron wasn’t great, but Bowden in previous years had them in a decent place with some good OOC wins. They were a similar lower tier in the conference like Vandy except Bowden never was winless at Akron. Maybe Akron wished they had not fired Bowden?
  • April Goss from Kent State was a kicker on their roster from 2012-15

The VU female kicker story was a very nice story overall, but I did not like the fact that they overlooked the U of NM kicker who was the first FBS Female Kicker in a an FBS game. 

It's kind of tough to talk about Katie Hnida without bringing up what she was subjected to, and that's not something you want to casually bring up as an aside in what's supposed to be a light, uplifting fluff piece.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, because before she was a U of NM kicker, she was at Colorado and bad things happened.  

Also, just did a quick ook at her wiki and she's had some rough health issues in recent years too.  So maybe a good idea to not use her as a trivia question/answer.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly

It was a lot about “the Power 5” which annoyed me a bit. 
    3rd FBS female kicker still is a good story, but tell it as it is.

If the mighty Power 5 is so elite why are there 7 NON-Power 5 teams in top 25 in Coaches Poll and 9 more NON-Power 5 teams getting votes (16) in the rough top 40 or so plus 2 in the top 10 in the CBS poll?

To get back on target since this is a coaching carousel topic:
    Vandy will always have a tough time being far the best academic school in the SEC and also being not very big either. He was 6th winningest coach there (still with big losing record) and did take them to 2 bowls. How many bowls has Vandy been too? (We know not many.)

Akron wasn’t great, but Bowden in previous years had them in a decent place with some good OOC wins. They were a similar lower tier in the conference like Vandy except Bowden never was winless at Akron. Maybe Akron wished they had not fired Bowden?

Bobby Johnson did a good job of elevating Vanderbilt to competitiveness.  James Franklin did a good job there as well.  Derek Mason had his ups and downs.  Prior to these three coaches, Vanderbilt had only played in (3) bowl games.  
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    Well... South Carolina didn’t disappoint by hiring a position coach who’s never been a coordinator or HC. Great guy but cmon - he wasn’t considered a candidate for the Sun Belt or MAC. Funny - Gamecock fans may burn Columbia down after Chadwell and the fancy Gamecocks of Costal had a big day and are the only undefeated team in S.C. but he didn’t get a serious sniff.