Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

US News College Rankings

Miami checks in at #103, however top 50 in public universities. Disappointed to see Buffalo ranked ahead of Miami (I think around #88). Osu is around 50 overall.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities
EDDIE

Comments

• FormerTownieFormerTownie Summer Orientee
    Clearly, Miami is no longer a "Public Ivy."  More like a "Public Creeping Charlie!"  The steady decline of Miami's academic reputation/standing nationally is depressing.  I guess the Administration wants to emulate Boise State in more ways than just football!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    I thought it was the football rankings....oi vay!
  • I remember when applying for Miami how they kept hammering on the point about being first among public universities in undergraduate teaching, now it's the top ten and we're 25th overall. Farmer fell from being around the 20th business school in the nation to the 40s if I recall correctly. Now below Buffalo (albeit a fine school themselves, and a flagship). What's the driver behind all these declines?
  • UptownWhilrlUptownWhilrl Off-Campus Slummer
    Well the national rankings hurts us because I believe they use metrics about postgrad research, which an undergrad focused institution like Miami doesn't focus on. The only thing that really matters in my opinion is what is the average student ACT and SAT score. Everything else about quality of an institution stems from that.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

I remember when applying for Miami how they kept hammering on the point about being first among public universities in undergraduate teaching, now it's the top ten and we're 25th overall. Farmer fell from being around the 20th business school in the nation to the 40s if I recall correctly. Now below Buffalo (albeit a fine school themselves, and a flagship). What's the driver behind all these declines?

Undergraduate teaching (focus) dropped because Miami added PA and PT programs, so obviously that's a loss of focus from undergrad education. Adding focused grad programs was announced years ago. Why is anyone shocked by that impacting those rankings?
  • I remember when applying for Miami how they kept hammering on the point about being first among public universities in undergraduate teaching, now it's the top ten and we're 25th overall. Farmer fell from being around the 20th business school in the nation to the 40s if I recall correctly. Now below Buffalo (albeit a fine school themselves, and a flagship). What's the driver behind all these declines?

Jim Garland decided we needed to be the best public university in the nation by 2009, which meant a pronounced shift in institutional focus and less focus on the things we were actually outstanding in.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly

I remember when applying for Miami how they kept hammering on the point about being first among public universities in undergraduate teaching, now it's the top ten and we're 25th overall. Farmer fell from being around the 20th business school in the nation to the 40s if I recall correctly. Now below Buffalo (albeit a fine school themselves, and a flagship). What's the driver behind all these declines?

Jim Garland decided we needed to be the best public university in the nation by 2009, which meant a pronounced shift in institutional focus and less focus on the things we were actually outstanding in.
    Garland sucked at everything he did. And we named a frickin’ building after that idiot.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

Garland sucked at everything he did. And we named a frickin’ building after that idiot.
    And they'll name one after the current guy...YIKES !!!!!!!!!!
    MacCracken

I remember a student group, in the early 2000's, sold beer cozy's that read "DRUNK FIRST IN 2009" on the side.  I still have one of those.
    redhawk11thechuck_2112
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    edited September 16
    19goSkins said:

At least he hired Brad Bates! >:)
    skin66