Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC Football Players Video

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
edited September 21 in Football
Video from MAC football players stating quite clearly-"Let Us Play!" Miami represented by Brett Gabbert and Austin Ertl. Great video. 

Comments

• Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    Interesting Toledo not in the video
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Redskin89 said:

Interesting Toledo not in the video

We haven't played them since 2011. They're not in the conference any more.
    Mowchthechuck_2112
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    Let them play
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    This refusal to play is on the university presidents (and, to a lesser extent ADs) and the long-term repercussions will be severe.

The MAC is just "Slip Sliding Away" into the vast unknown
    JHVMUFBAlumSpanks004moose
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

This refusal to play is on the university presidents (and, to a lesser extent ADs) and the long-term repercussions will be severe.

The MAC is just "Slip Sliding Away" into the vast unknown
    We'll see what happens today when they meet again. Sir Yacht seems optimistic!
    redhawk11AORedHawk3375_Redskins
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    Let them play
  • hawklbackerhawklbacker Havighurstite
    ok....let me put on my aluminum foil hat and play the crazy old uncle role here...

not unlike other people in leadership roles, what if the presidents could be leveraging this crisis as a way to downgrade the MAC to a I-AA football conference (many pine this is long overdue - just rip the damn scab off)....their schools, not just athletics, are losing the arms race against the bigger research driven institutions....athletics is the first domino to fall....
  • ok....let me put on my aluminum foil hat and play the crazy old uncle role here...

not unlike other people in leadership roles, what if the presidents could be leveraging this crisis as a way to downgrade the MAC to a I-AA football conference (many pine this is long overdue - just rip the damn scab off)....their schools, not just athletics, are losing the arms race against the bigger research driven institutions....athletics is the first domino to fall....
    That theory falls apart when you consider the huge decline in revenue (from decreased buy game payouts, TV deal, and donations) that would cancel out any reduced costs the MAC or its schools would get from an FCS move. It's one thing if you're Idaho and there's no conference willing to take you and independent status is near-impossible, it's another when you're a geographically compact conference that's been around since before the Korean War.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

ok....let me put on my aluminum foil hat and play the crazy old uncle role here...

That theory falls apart when you consider the huge decline in revenue (from decreased buy game payouts, TV deal, and donations) that would cancel out any reduced costs the MAC or its schools would get from an FCS move. It's one thing if you're Idaho and there's no conference willing to take you and independent status is near-impossible, it's another when you're a geographically compact conference that's been around since before the Korean War.
    Agree the eventual savings of 22 scholarships and the eventual savings from paying the staff less (these wouldnt happen overnight) would likely be less than the lost revenue from the playoff, money games and espn tv deal
    Love_and_Honor said: hawklbacker said:ok....let me put on my aluminum foil hat and play the crazy old uncle role here...

i'm not entirely sure it falls apart.....according to the knight commission on intercollegiate athletics database, over the past 5 years (of data through 2018)
    across all athletics, miami has averaged:
    ~$1.5M from buy games
    ~$2.9M from NCAA championship share, MAC media share and bowl games

so i'd agree that some of this revenue is at risk.....how much is tricky to tell,but:
    - if miami were to go FCS, still able to get at least 1 buy game, if not 2 or 3....with payouts up to $750k per game....if done correctly, an innovative AD could recover this revenue
    - miami receives $300k for APR and an estimated $1.2M of the G5 split according to NCAA reporting...and FCS teams receive some championship share too, albeit paltry at $250k per conference
    - MAC media deal on football pays the schools about $670k per year
    - bowl games are sporadic and have been proven to be not profitable for an institution) 

so at risk....~$2M in revenue.....

as redsea addressed reduced cost vs less revenue....there's more than just 22 football scholarships, when you consider that title IX doubles the availability of funds.....and potentially whole programs go away (over time) as opposed to maintaining a full football staff budget....44 scholarships at $30k per year is $1.3M....eliminating 1 if not 2 more programs altogether could get that number close to $1.5 - $1.7M....

so as i said....i'm not sure it falls completely apart when you consider schools, maybe not miami, are trying to reduce their athletic footprint to survive....heck minnesota cut the entire men's track and field program, even with all that TV revenue.

i'm not saying its a sure thing....but it is feasible....and like you mentioned, the MAC has been at this for the longest in the G5....and has seen the marginal return an investment in athletics provides....more so than schools you'll find in the Sun Belt with the D1 twinkle still in their eyes
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    In terms of buy games I assume you are referring to this article with the list of FCS vs. FBS payouts:

The highest paid matchup is 750k for Eastern Washington vs Florida but there aren't that many games that high. Also, no G5 team is paying more than 400k, so recouping the 1.5 million would require having two of the highest paying buy games against P5 teams every year. Additionally FCS teams play 11 games so you'd be left with a single OOC game otherwise. Not a sustainable system. 
    Note I said up to $750k. And I will agree on the statement regarding not a sustainable system....and I agree none of this seems sustainable, especially for the teams in the MAC, attempting to stay the course or dropping down

Remember that I started with a conspiracy theorist’s view that presidents could use this crisis to do what many of us have been concerned about as our ride a one of the top 20 most winning programs began fading away about 30 years ago
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    edited September 24
    Donations would plummet if there was ever a move to I-AA/FCS. 
    TV would almost disappear.
    With TV time, universities gain advertising. I think it would be a massive mistake to even consider it. 

PAC-12 starts November.
    Let them (MAC) play partial schedule.