Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

‘All athletic scholarship offers are not valid offers’

This article provides some insight regarding athletic scholarship offers and the evolution towards many being simple, place holder offers which are far from genuine.

It doesn’t appear Miami athletics follow this dirty practice but they must deal with it. Very confusing for the student athletes and parents.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/2020/10/27/21536446/college-basketball-recruiting-scholarship-offers?__twitter_impression=true

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Take a look at the first post in THIS thread. 

I stopped updating the list over a year ago.  Its a list of players Miami offered per verbal commits, twitter, other recruiting websites
  • HawkOfTheWalkHawkOfTheWalk Summer Orientee
    I remember reading/hearing a few years ago that P5 programs would offer kids but those offers weren't "commitable" unless they visited the school. I don't know how widespread that thinking is in the G5, but it's not uncommon.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020

I remember reading/hearing a few years ago that P5 programs would offer kids but those offers weren't "commitable" unless they visited the school. I don't know how widespread that thinking is in the G5, but it's not uncommon.

That’s not quite what is being discussed. This is giving a kid an offer but saying you can only commit if these 15 other people at the same position say no to us. So you’re stuck waiting to see what will happen with everyone else, meanwhile all the spots at the other schools that offered were filled because they couldn’t keep waiting for you to make a decision. So signing day comes and at the end of musical chairs, you’re without one.