Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

JJ Watt A Leader Or Just An Ass?

=>Watt threw his teammates under the bus after losing to WHODEY yesterday.

“We’re in Week 16, we’re 4-11 and there are fans who watch this game, who show up the stadium, that put in time and energy and effort and care about this. So if you can’t go out there, you can’t work out, you can’t show up on time, you can’t practice, you can’t want to go out there and win, you shouldn’t be here. Because this is a privilege. This is the greatest job in the world. You get to go out and play a game.

“If you can’t care enough, even in Week 17, even when you’re trash when you’re 4-11, if you can’t care enough to go out there and give everything you’ve got and try your hardest, that’s bullsh--.”

Comments

• mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>Texan fans may love the quotes.  I am not sure his teammates will however.  A coach can look at it either way:  Leader or a lockerroom cancer.
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    People other than who he has called out are upset?
    JCook32JiveHawk
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Leader.  He's been that at his position and for his team throughout his career.  It's on a player to do that for other players.  No one likes it when a coach does it -- especially since coaches rarely say 'my bad' for their bad play calls. 

An ass was Burfict. 
    Love_and_HonorQuinoaburgerProfessor_FateRe6H5wkDSnyder15
    elpalito said:

Leader.  He's been that at his position and for his team throughout his career.  It's on a player to do that for other players.  No one likes it when a coach does it -- especially since coaches rarely say 'my bad' for their bad play calls. 

An ass was Burfict. 
    =>Does a leader do it publicly to the media or keep it internally for the team's ears only?
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

elpalito said:

An ass was Burfict. 
    =>Does a leader do it publicly to the media or keep it internally for the team's ears only?
    I'm guessing he tried the "for your ears only" approach earlier and now went public.  That is the usual progression.
    mooseDSnyder15
  • I need more choices.
  • mollautt said:

elpalito said:

An ass was Burfict. 
    At Watt’s level? As he said, he’s pissed and has probably had it with a few guys in the locker room. JJ can call out whoever he wants to on the team in public. I’d like to hear the guys who he’s calling out go to the media and say different. Who you gonna believe?

Watt’s earned the right to say what he wants based on his play on the field and contributions to the city of Houston in hurricane relief as well as other ventures, off the field. Hey, if the Texans don’t want him, there’s 31 other teams who want that leadership and willingness to win.
    JCook32moose
    JohnnyMac said:

mollautt said:

elpalito said:

An ass was Burfict. 
    I'm guessing he tried the "for your ears only" approach earlier and now went public.  That is the usual progression.
    =>Possibly.

It could just be complete frustration after losing at home to the woeful Bengals.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

I need more choices.

You can either take Watt's advice or be a lazy ass bum like Dwayne Haskins. Be a pro.
    Bash_RiprockmooseProfessor_Fate
  • I need more choices.

You can either take Watt's advice or be a lazy ass bum like Dwayne Haskins. Be a pro.
    Remember like three years ago when Haskins beat out Joe Burrow for a starting job and caused Burrow to transfer?
    Re6H5wkBash_RiprockLove_and_HonormooseProfessor_Fateelpalito
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

I need more choices.

Remember like three years ago when Haskins beat out Joe Burrow for a starting job and caused Burrow to transfer?
    Hahaha. That was a thing that happened.
  • I need more choices.

Buckeye fans are still clamoring "Burrow is a buckeye first!"  Yeah, you sat him on the bench and never gave him a shot.  He graduated in 3 years and still had 2 years eligibility for LSU.....THE 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPS!  #geauxtigers

Remember when Ohio State wanted Ben to be a tight end and not play QB?

Meanwhile, anyone check Twitter?  They're having a blast destroying Ohio State QB's who've gone to the NFL and crashed and burned.

I mentioned elsewhere...heck, maybe it was here... Joe Germaine has been the most successful Buckeye QB in the last 30 years, at least. 
  • elpalito said:

I mentioned elsewhere...heck, maybe it was here... Joe Germaine has been the most successful Buckeye QB in the last 30 years, at least. 

How dare you overlook Tom Tupa!
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    It must really suck to be a Buckeye fan ;)
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    moose said:

People other than who he has called out are upset?

Yeah, I would assume that anyone he offended should probably be looking at themselves because they're the issue and the ones who he didn't offend are happy he said something because they're stuck on a team with people just there to get a check. But that's just my assumption.
    muhawk
  • elpalito said:

Of people who were drafted in the past 30, it's probably Kent Graham. Of people who played in the past 30 years, it's probably Mike Tomczak.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

elpalito said:

Of people who were drafted in the past 30, it's probably Kent Graham. Of people who played in the past 30 years, it's probably Mike Tomczak.
    Yeah, the answer is always Tomczak.
    JCook32
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    Long story short... just avoid OSU quarterbacks. Every other position? Fine, draft away. And maybe Fields will be different but damn there is a lengthy trend telling you to avoid QBs from Columbus.

elpalito said:

Germaine has a SB ring and little else.  Figured that'd get him the nod. 

Also had no idea Kent Graham was a Buckeye. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Haskins was better than Burrow when he beat him out. Haskins went on to come in 3rd in the Heisman while Burrow was a little above average at LSU in 2018. You could argue OSU should’ve played the long game, but they got Fields after.

As for Ohio State quarterbacks in the NFL, Texas Tech quarterbacks didn’t have a very good track record either.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

As for Ohio State quarterbacks in the NFL, Texas Tech quarterbacks didn’t have a very good track record either.

I get your point, but comparing OSU to Texas Tech is kinda apples to oranges. We get why Texas tech QBs largely don’t pan out in the NFL. They were average QBs put in a system to inflate their numbers. Meanwhile, OSU has 5 star after 5 star and yet none of them are able to play at the next level.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    OSU QBs have not been successful, but other than Alabama, Bucks have most players in NFL.

CMU leads MAC teams (10).

2019 season.
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2020

redhawk11 said:

I get your point, but comparing OSU to Texas Tech is kinda apples to oranges. We get why Texas tech QBs largely don’t pan out in the NFL. They were average QBs put in a system to inflate their numbers. Meanwhile, OSU has 5 star after 5 star and yet none of them are able to play at the next level.
    Because they aren’t being developed, just using raw athleticism.

Don’t take Fields unless you don’t need him for a year or two, otherwise he’ll continue the recent trend with Rosen and Haskins.
  • elpalito said:

I always thought the answer was Art Schlichter.

elpalito said:

I always thought the answer was Art Schlichter.
    =>I bet your right.
    EDDIEBash_Riprockkillgas20Love_and_Honor19goSkins
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum

elpalito said:

I thought Troy Smith was the new standard.
  • moose said:

redhawk11 said:

Because they aren’t being developed, just using raw athleticism.

Don’t take Fields unless you don’t need him for a year or two, otherwise he’ll continue the recent trend with Rosen and Haskins.
    Right now many NFL teams try to win by getting a hot young QB in his rookie contract so they have cap room to spend on the rest of the team while still getting good play out of the position. The downside to that is that throwing a rookie out there and expecting greatness is a steep standard (decent play isn't a given either), your examples point to the ones who can't cut it.

Of course the likes of Rodgers and Mahomes show that it pays to be patient with your quarterbacks and give them time to develop. But not many rosters are deep and have a veteran QB who can tie you over until the new guy is ready.
  • elpalito said:

elpalito said:

Graham somehow lasted 10 years!
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2020

elpalito said:

elpalito said:

Graham somehow lasted 10 years!
    Graham started off at Notre Dame and was on the 1988 National Title team before transferring to Tosu. So he did have a ring.