Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

NHL 2021-2021 Season Thread, presented by Chuck's Uptown Food Truck

JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
NHL sold the naming rights to their divisions, and sold advertising on their helmets, so I figured I would sell the naming rights to my thread.  Mention this thread and get a free Monterey Chucks with your next purchase!

In ECHL news, the Toledo Walleye have decided to skip the '21-'21 season.
killgas2090skin

Comments

• elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Wonder if I'll get tired of the CBJ playing the same teams.  It'll be interesting -- rivalries strengthened or ennui sets in. 
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    edited January 5
    How could the official food truck sponsor not be The Poutine Machine? I gotta call Bettmann.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

Wonder if I'll get tired of the CBJ playing the same teams.  It'll be interesting -- rivalries strengthened or ennui sets in. 

Maybe Tampa...not Detroit and Chicago.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Sucks that we'll go a whole year of no Blues-Blackhawks matchups.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

Sucks that we'll go a whole year of no Blues-Blackhawks matchups.

Is Toews gonna be healthy to play?

elpalito said:

Maybe Tampa...not Detroit and Chicago.
    True, I won't get tired of DET and CHI games.  I might get tired of the CBJ, though.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    They have to get those 1000 Adidas logos off the glass in Tampa. That’s ridiculous that they allow an advertisement on the clear glass that blocks the view of the ice.
    Love_and_Honor
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    I noticed that, too. I understand the need to find revenue when there are no fans, but ... yuck.
    JohnnyMac said:

They have to get those 1000 Adidas logos off the glass in Tampa. That’s ridiculous that they allow an advertisement on the clear glass that blocks the view of the ice.

Detroit has them, but not on the side with the TV cameras.

One does not see 5 on 3 SHGs very often.  Heck of a play by DeSmith for the Pens.
    elpalito said:

One does not see 5 on 3 SHGs very often.  Heck of a play by DeSmith for the Pens.

My daughter’s 16U team gave up a 3x6 goal last weekend, I shit you not.

moose
    edited February 19
    A nice hat tip to Mitch Korn in the DGB in The Athletic today:

"Luckily, I have some ideas. So today, let’s brainstorm some of the ways the NHL could increase scoring without making the nets bigger.

Figure out what Mitch Korn has been telling all these goalies to do over the years and then ask them really nicely to do the opposite."
    I think the league should ban leaving your feet, or going down on one knee, to block shots. 
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Picked up Thornton on the 16th. Didn't expect scoring to continue but playing on the top line helps...Gudas may single-handedly win your hits category without hurting others...If you need a minimum of 3-4 starts (goalie), Greiss and Jones may help and also may be available. Not a long-term hold, but enough to get you through PPD and injuries.
    The Red Wings have not scored on 33 straight power plays. 0-33. That is more than a full game of 5x4 without scoring.
    moose
    AM34 picks up his 18th goal in his 18th game. Can he get 50 in 56?
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    Leave it to the NHL to not understand how the sun works. VGK-COL Lake Tahoe game to resume at midnight.
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    moose said:

AM34 picks up his 18th goal in his 18th game. Can he get 50 in 56?

Playing a third of his games against Ottawa and Vancouver? Maybe.
    Wings now 0-40 on the PP.
    moose
    JohnnyMac said:

Wings now 0-40 on the PP.

What?  How?!  lol
    O/U on Wilson’s suspension? 15?
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Rest of season hopefully
    edited March 7
    JohnnyMac said:

For a legal hit hopefully nothing.

7 for boarding it is.

Boy! We are off to a great start, here.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    What BS. That was a clean hit. They are writing rules (making them up as they go) that only apply to him, apparently. You could find 30 hits just like that in any NHL game. If the Bs were able to treat Carlo at the arena, this play doesn’t even get a sniff from DPOS.

Apparently, this is the first time in NHL history that a player has been suspended for a boarding call that was not a hit from behind. It’ll be interesting to see what the NHLPA does with this.
    Wilson plays with the intent to injure. He never, ever learns. The suspension is warranted and should have been longer due to his past history.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Wilson plays with the intent to injure. He never, ever learns. The suspension is warranted and should have been longer due to his past history.

In short: he's a piece of shit and should be behind bars.
    Maz said:

Apparently, this is the first time in NHL history that a player has been suspended for a boarding call that was not a hit from behind. It’ll be interesting to see what the NHLPA does with this.

Boarding doesn't have to be a hit from behind.  So it was still an infraction - the only new precedent is the suspension.  But Tom Wilson considers it a part of the game to injure other players and that's garbage.  Caps love to defend him with the usual 'it's not his fault he's 6'4''' which is an argument of sorts.   'Tom Wilson is a turd' is an equally valid counter-argument. 
    Maybe, for a change, the NHLPA will consider defending the victims of intent to injure hits rather than the perpetrator.  lol  no...they won't.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Rule 48 was ignored. The suspension should have been longer.

Fantasy: Tuch is probably available in 12-team and over Leagues. He's hot...for now. Konecny may also be available since he just returned five days ago.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

Boarding doesn't have to be a hit from behind.  So it was still an infraction - the only new precedent is the suspension.

Maybe, f.

True, it does not have to be from behind - it applies when the player is defenseless. Historically, that’s meant facing the boards or in a prone position, or something like that. What we’re seeing with this call is a completely new interpretation of what “defenseless” means. Carlo was standing straight up and he was able to see the check coming. If that’s “defenseless”, it is a new definition.

I get it that a lot of people don’t like Wilson. And, I’ll even agree that he has played the game a little too close to the edge in the past - and occasionally done some indefensible things (though less than many people think). But, I watch nearly every Caps game and have for years ... he has changed his game. He plays hard, but has gotten pretty good about knowing when to dial back some of his aggressive enthusiasm. This was a clean hit and the fact that it was Wilson who did it is the only reason he was suspended.
    moose