Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2022 PGA Championship to change sites

No politics or cancel culture on the replies. The PGA announced late Sunday night they’re moving the 2022 PGA Championship from Bedminster. Which clubs could handle switching to a mid-May event in a little more than a year?

First place that comes to mind is Oakmont CC outside of Pittsburgh. They have historically told the USGA they can have their course ready to go with a few days warning if the US Open needs to be moved. Also, the PGA is building a new facility in Frisco, TX. I’m not sure if it’ll be ready yet.

Pinehurst No. 2. Oakland CC in Michigan is another that’s gone through a major rebuild and restoration of their courses. Then there’s Medinah No. 3 that hasn’t hosted anything major wise since the Ryder Cup in 2012.

Thoughts on other courses?

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Inverness club in Toledo has been trying very hard to lure a U.S. Open. They have the Solheim cup coming up next year. I’m thinking Inverness would make a push
    Professor_Fateskin66ChrisW1980
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    On a sidenote, I was asked to leave the Dallas Cowboys practice facility on Friday in Frisco, Texas for taking pictures of the practice field. A lot of gall for an organization that hasn’t won a playoff game in about two generations.

But, they are building a complete city around that practice facility in Frisco. All about the money down there. Also, Hutchins BBQ was sublime.
    Professor_FateLove_and_HonoryanksalexChrisW1980
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Inverness club in Toledo has been trying very hard to lure a U.S. Open. They have the Solheim cup coming up next year. I’m thinking Inverness would make a push

Great call! I know they’ve been restoring and extending the course. It’s been too long that Ohio has hosted a major.

That reminds me, Firestone CC in Akron is not on the World Golf Championship anymore. They might make a run at it too.
    ChrisW1980
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

No politics or cancel culture on the replies. The PGA announced late Sunday night they’re moving the 2022 PGA Championship from Bedminster. Which clubs could handle switching to a mid-May event in a little more than a year?

First place that comes to mind is Oakmont CC outside of Pittsburgh. They have historically told the USGA they can have their course ready to go with a few days warning if the US Open needs to be moved. Also, the PGA is building a new facility in Frisco, TX. I’m not sure if it’ll be ready yet.

Pinehurst No. 2. Oakland CC in Michigan is another that’s gone through a major rebuild and restoration of their courses. Then there’s Medinah No. 3 that hasn’t hosted anything major wise since the Ryder Cup in 2012.

Thoughts on other courses?

Medinah has the 2026 Presidents Cup. Pinehurst is married to the USGA and will NEVER host a PGA. Valhalla (owned by PGA) is having it a couple years later. And I think Oakmont is a US Open kind of place.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Being mostly ignorant into course selection -- what would a major look for in a course? 
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    edited January 11
    Oakmont would never hold a PGA (again, it may have in like the 50s). It’s in the US Open unofficial rotation and that’s where it will stay, like Pinehurst.

Given the opportunity to now find an agronomically advantageous location for that time of year, I think all the northeast potential sites are out. I’m thinking southern Midwest (maybe Southern Hills in Tulsa, or somewhere in Texas), or West Coast. Shoal Creek in Alabama is another option and would have a social component to it.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    We
    JohnnyMac said:

On a sidenote, I was asked to leave the Dallas Cowboys practice facility on Friday in Frisco, Texas for taking pictures of the practice field. A lot of gall for an organization that hasn’t won a playoff game in about two generations.

But, they are building a complete city around that practice facility in Frisco. All about the money down there. Also, Hutchins BBQ was sublime.

If you only knew a good attorney.
    JohnnyMac
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

Being mostly ignorant into course selection -- what would a major look for in a course? 

To start off with, does the membership want it, if the course is private.  As some have pointed out, who is the course more affiliated with, the USGA or PGA?  Can the property accommodate 40.000+ spectators on a daily basis plus the additional infrastructure that needs to be constructed.  The reputation of the course is important as well as its location in a major market.  
    edited January 11
    Here’s the history of courses that have hosted. After watching the pros play at Olympia Fields this past summer/fall, I’d be favor of that

https://www.pga.com/archive/events/pgachampionship/past-pga-championship-sites
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    mz343 said:

elpalito said:

To start off with, does the membership want it, if the course is private.  As some have pointed out, who is the course more affiliated with, the USGA or PGA?  Can the property accommodate 40.000+ spectators on a daily basis plus the additional infrastructure that needs to be constructed.  The reputation of the course is important as well as its location in a major market.  
    Also, if an older course, it must have had additional length added over the past 20-30 years, otherwise it's considered obsolete by the pros.
    Mowch said:

mz343 said:

elpalito said:

Also, if an older course, it must have had additional length added over the past 20-30 years, otherwise it's considered obsolete by the pros.
    I think this favors Firestone CC. I think they’re making changes to it, too.
    I could be wrong but I’m not sure Firestone could handle the infrastructure. Even when Tiger was winning the WGC there like every other year, it didn’t seem like the venue was big enough for a major.

Keep in mind also that the PGA of America has a lot of lost revenue to make up after no fans at Harding Park last year, and no Ryder Cup until later this year (and who knows what that will actually look like). They will also be losing a bit of money at this year’s PGA Championship location, Kiawah Island Ocean Course, since they have to limit the tickets due to lack of space, to say nothing of what COVID limits may persist. Long story short, I think they will want a big course that can handle more fans than usual to make up some lost revenue. I’m not even sure what those options are, but I think it will definitely be a part of the decision.
    Professor_FateMowch
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Hazeltine? They had the PGA in 2009, and they're now set to be the first US club to host two Ryder Cups (2016, 2028).

Hazeltine? They had the PGA in 2009, and they're now set to be the first US club to host two Ryder Cups (2016, 2028).

Early May in Minnesota, it might snow...
    Professor_Fate
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Lots of truth here. Hutchins is probably the best bbq I've ever had that didn't involve any kind of crazy line.
    JohnnyMac
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    On to Hueston Woods!
    skin66Professor_Fate90skinkillgas20

On to Hueston Woods!

We used to debate this. Those guys would shoot in the low 50’s out there. If you could take the drivers out of their bags and play Indian Ridge
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

On to Hueston Woods!

We used to debate this. Those guys would shoot in the low 50’s out there. If you could take the drivers out of their bags and play Indian Ridge
    They wouldn’t shoot in the low 50’s. Greens too bumpy to make everything they look at.

On to Hueston Woods!

On what other golf course do you play one hole that crosses a county line?
    edited January 12
    If you played it all the way back, grew rough and brought greens to tournament speed, the front 9 at Hueston might, and I emphasize might, hold up against the pros at least a little bit, only because it’s so narrow that any missed fairway results in tree trouble.

They would absolutely destroy the more wide open back 9.
    19goSkins said:

On to Hueston Woods!

They wouldn’t shoot in the low 50’s. Greens too bumpy to make everything they look at.
    You got that right about the greens.  I won't play Hueston Woods.  After playing both Indian Ridge and Hueston Woods this past summer, Indian Ridge is in much better shape.  And I learned to play on both the Woods and the Ridge.  I would always head over to the Woods and walk 9 when I had time.  But the greens were bad, they had mold and what can be best described as pits or potholes all over the place.  Course the amount of play the place gets, and the lack of people repairing their divots on the greens doesn't help either.

Indian Ridge has new ownership and people who are out there trying to fix the place and make it better.  It was very evident this past summer.
    Golf Magazine had a nice list of 5 munis for the 2022 PGA

• HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Havighurstite
    Caddied at Olympia Fields for 5 years.  Looked real good at the BMW this year. Would attract a sizeable crowd (should COVID be over by then)
    MowchProfessor_Fate
    And the winner is Southern Hills in Tulsa, OK. Last time they played there, it was over 100 degrees in August. Now you’re in the heart of tornado season.

https://www.pga.com/story/insiders-guide-to-the-restoration-of-southern-hills

• ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer
    I have heard that Oakland Hills has really upgraded the course.  It used to be a standard for major championships.  I think it should be reconsidered again.  I believe Donald Ross was the original designer.
    Professor_Fate
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer
    JohnnyMac said:

That's a great course.  I went to the 1986 PGA Championship there.  It rained the day I went and the next day was a Monday and it was beautiful and Tway made the great shot to win it.

I have heard that Oakland Hills has really upgraded the course.  It used to be a standard for major championships.  I think it should be reconsidered again.  I believe Donald Ross was the original designer.

The renovation is supposed to finish this year.  Ross was the original designer, he did a number of courses in Michigan.  Gil Hanse is doing the renovation.  It sounds like he's doing what he did with Winged Foot, modernizing the course to accommodate technology (fairway bunkers at 310-330 yards off the tee) exploited by the pros while making the course playable for the regular player.  Trees were removed and slopes were magnified.  The rest of the renovation revolves around infrastructure including temperature control of the greens.
    MowchChrisW1980Professor_Fate