Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

AP final football poll

Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
This has been posted elsewhere but thought it deserved a thread of it own. MAC finishes with two teams in AP final top 25 poll w BSU at #23 and Buffalo at #25. I know we’ve had two teams ranked in the polls at the same time in previous years (BG was ranked when we beat them in MAC title game in 2003), but has the conference ever had two teams in the season ending poll?

Comments

  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

    This has been posted elsewhere but thought it deserved a thread of it own. MAC finishes with two teams in AP final top 25 poll w BSU at #23 and Buffalo at #25. I know we’ve had two teams ranked in the polls at the same time in previous years (BG was ranked when we beat them in MAC title game in 2003), but has the conference ever had two teams in the season ending poll?

    I am pretty sure BG finished 25 in 2003 after beating Northwestern in the Motor City Bowl. I dont think it happened any other year
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Great accomplishment by the MAC in a difficult year!!
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Also was thinking that both Marshall and Toledo may have been ranked at same time in one year, but not sure it was in the final poll. I can check the final 2003 poll to see if BG slipped back in on the final poll. (Not that it really matters, eh?)
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    RedSea is correct!
    In 2003 season Miami of course finished #10 in final AP poll after beating Louisville in Mobile, and BG finished #23. Reminds me of how far BG football has fallen.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    That said, Alabama made Buckeyes look like a MAC team last night....crazy (i.e., the difference between #1 and #25).



  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I mean, not to downplay it, but if we have any OOC games, no MAC team is ranked (I don't know what BSU and UB's OOC schedule was), but assuming they'd lose at least 2, so would have three losses.

    Miami finished 1-1 against top 25 teams and undefeated against the rest!
  • BillTheCatBillTheCat Summer Orientee
    In the final USA Today poll, Miami ranked 88 higher than Navy, Michigan, Baylor, Purdue, Illinois Georgia Tech, Michigan State and Florida State
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    BSU and Buffalo also come in at #23 and #25 in final Coach’s poll.
  • And Northern Illinois was in the "Receiving Votes" category (which unofficially had them ranked in the Top 30).  So was 2003 perhaps the greatest year in MAC football history?  3 teams in the top 30 in the country?
    Cincykid3 said:

    RedSea is correct!
    In 2003 season Miami of course finished #10 in final AP poll after beating Louisville in Mobile, and BG finished #23. Reminds me of how far BG football has fallen.


  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    67% of our schedule was against top 25 teams. And they say the SEC is tough.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

    I mean, not to downplay it, but if we have any OOC games, no MAC team is ranked (I don't know what BSU and UB's OOC schedule was), but assuming they'd lose at least 2, so would have three losses.


    Miami finished 1-1 against top 25 teams and undefeated against the rest!
    BSU had Indiana, Michigan, Iowa St. and Maine. Would have beaten Maine and possibly UM, but 2-2 is probably the best they could have hoped for.

    UB had OSU, Army, Kansas St., and St. Francis. Again, probably 2-2 at best.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum

    And Northern Illinois was in the "Receiving Votes" category (which unofficially had them ranked in the Top 30).  So was 2003 perhaps the greatest year in MAC football history?  3 teams in the top 30 in the country?

    Cincykid3 said:

    RedSea is correct!
    In 2003 season Miami of course finished #10 in final AP poll after beating Louisville in Mobile, and BG finished #23. Reminds me of how far BG football has fallen.

    NIU beat Alabama and Maryland if I recall.  Marshall won at Kansas St. with Gochenaur playing QB.  Kent St. had Josh Cribbs running around.  Akron had Charlie Frye playing QB.  UCF could've been up there if 75% of their team or what seemed like it didn't get suspended.  The MAC was no picnic.
  • papagrandepapagrande Havighurstite
    Good year for the conference- tough set of circumstances this year for Miami. But very good showing for the conference
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    I was pleasantly surprised how BSU blew out SjS....yes, as the announcers told us over and over, SJS had a lot of players out due to Covid, etc., but BSU was missing what were arguably their two best players. So, props to them for beating a ranked team.

    As for Buffalo, they faced a demoralized Marshall team that I expected them to beat, (even without Patterson), and they did.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Good point. That was the year NIU beat Bama, I think.

    And Northern Illinois was in the "Receiving Votes" category (which unofficially had them ranked in the Top 30).  So was 2003 perhaps the greatest year in MAC football history?  3 teams in the top 30 in the country?

    Cincykid3 said:

    RedSea is correct!
    In 2003 season Miami of course finished #10 in final AP poll after beating Louisville in Mobile, and BG finished #23. Reminds me of how far BG football has fallen.


  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Yep. 2003 was the MAC’s high water mark

    https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=232630333
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited January 13
    Nescacdad said:

    Good point. That was the year NIU beat Bama, I think.

    And Northern Illinois was in the "Receiving Votes" category (which unofficially had them ranked in the Top 30).  So was 2003 perhaps the greatest year in MAC football history?  3 teams in the top 30 in the country?

    Cincykid3 said:

    RedSea is correct!
    In 2003 season Miami of course finished #10 in final AP poll after beating Louisville in Mobile, and BG finished #23. Reminds me of how far BG football has fallen.


    And Maryland. And Iowa State. And NIU didn’t even win its division or go to a bowl game despite being ranked.

    P.J. Fleck is still probably pissed about the bowl game snub.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 15
    Here is 2003 summary...
    MAC only had 2 bowl tie-ins that year.

    Next year MAC has some interesting OOC games. It would be awesome to see this happen again.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 15
    1998 Miami 10-1 with win over #12 UNC, Marshall Loss
    1998 Marshall 12-1, BGSU loss
    Hard to believe they both were not top 25...... (AP had them 27 and 30)
    Crazy!
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    I remembered NIU having 3 victories over P5 teams but forgot one was ALABAMA! Their 10-2 teams reminds me of our 1998 10-1 squad, two great MAC team that didn’t get a bowl berth. I also forget how BG gave OSU a run for their money at the Shoe that year.

    I was at that NW game in Evanston....one of the greatest showings ever for Miami fans at an away game...it was a sea of red on away side and I was sitting on NW side (went w a friend who had season tickets) so I had a great view of it. I really think we had upwards of 8,000 Miamians at that game.

    What a year it was!
Sign In or Register to comment.