Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

RIP John Chaney

EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
edited January 29 in Paid to Play
I loved that guy. Yea...I do remember the "I'll Kill You!" episode, but he was so loved.

Growing up in Pa, the Big 5 games were always on the tube, and we went to the Palestra every year to catch a game. Temple was one of my favorite college teams. They had some great squads.

RIP John!

Professor_FateMowch

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 29
    One of my favorite Miami games was when Ensminger and Grunk were Seniors we beat a Top 20 Temple team in Millett.  Good Times.
    EDDIEProfessor_FateD_Day90skin
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

One of my favorite Miami games was when Ensminger and Grunk were Seniors we beat a Top 20 Temple team in Millett.  Good Times.

Regardless of how you felt about him, I remember Chaney being very gracious after the game with the Miami players and staff.
    Mowch
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited January 29
    DICK said:

Ryan Pedon once told me that was loudest he remembers Millett being. I remember the headline (Enquirer or Hamilton Journal) before that game noted Miami's home court winning streak and that they were "running the risk of being routed." I believe "the chuck" had several cameos in that one.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I’m in the AP photo of Grunk being carried off the court.
    Re6H5wkDICKkillgas20
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    I will never forget how well we shot the ball.  And the building was on fire.  In my time at Miami, that was probably the least physically gifted team, but arguably the closest to the NCAA tournament.  I think we were tied with Kent with 4 minutes left in the MAC Championship and they won the last 4 minutes.  
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    The 2000 Temple game was during my last school year at Miami.  I was in the pep band and wore my red "Miami Band" t-shirt instead of a gray shirt that everyone else wore (no one said what shirt to wear).  I stood out and I had folks telling me they could easily see me on TV.  

Awesome game...I recall Coach Chaney never getting very animated even though his team was not playing well.  Seemed a bit odd.  
    DICK
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I grew up watching tons of college ball back in the 80s and early 90s, and he was one of the absolute staples. I remember watching those Philadelphia games at the Pallestra with Villanova and Rollie Massimino. What a couple of characters he and Chaney were. Heck, there were a lot of big personalities in the college coaching ranks in those days. I lived for weeknight b-ball on ESPN and ESPN2 in those days, and the A10 and Big East games in particular really stand out. Chaney was a living legend even back then.
    DICK
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    I remember watching a Temple-UMass game on TV after Chaney's rant.  This cracked me up:  One UMass fan in the stands had a sign which read "Please don't kill our coach."