Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Deland McCullough Leaving the Chiefs

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
It is being reported former Miami great, Deland McCullough, whose son plays for Miami currently, is leaving the Chiefs to go back to Indiana University to become the Hoosiers running back coach, a position he held previously. Damn shame we can't entice this Miami legend to come to our staff. What a great experience that would be for our RBs! 

ChrisW1980

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    He'll also serve as the associate head coach.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    That AHC tag must be a better path to a head coaching gig than being a NFL assistant. Not sure what else would motivate what’s clearly a step down otherwise. I hope it works out!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Indiana was the second or third best team in the Big 10 this season and they're bringing back virtually their entire roster for 2021. You could definitely envision that as a potential jumping off point for him to become a head coach somewhere.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Maybe he likes working with college athletes better? Hopefully its what Deland wants. Not sure if it helps him get a HC position or not. Mike Neu was a pro qb coach with the Saints before the BSU job
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    Wonder if his son will flip from Ohio State now?
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited February 8
    I'm guessing this is somewhere on here but speaking of Deland....could we get some this:

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

I'm guessing this is somewhere on here but speaking of Deland....could we get some this:

He was a dynamic back. Deland, Travis Prentice, George Swarn are all backs I got to see in person. All Miami legends. 
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited February 9
    skins said:

When Deland was a rookie free agent fir the Bengals, he led the NFL in preseason games with 200 yards rushing. Then he tore his knee in the last preseason game vs Detroit. Bruce Cosslett, the head coach of the Bengals, cried that night. He was so upset because he’d found the running back he’d been looking for.
    Mowchkillgas20
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    yup...at school during my years...he was something.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I always thought he broke more tackles than any other Miami back.
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    I have to think with the head coach at IU being a decently hot commodity that Deland must be thinking it sets him up to replace him when he leaves?
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    KAMUOHIO said:

I have to think with the head coach at IU being a decently hot commodity that Deland must be thinking it sets him up to replace him when he leaves?

It's hard though to imagine Tom Allen leaving IU.  He's an Indiana native and coached high school football there.  The desire to go there may be just how respected he is.  One of the highlights of the college football season was seeing how his players talked about him.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

KAMUOHIO said:

It's hard though to imagine Tom Allen leaving IU.  He's an Indiana native and coached high school football there.  The desire to go there may be just how respected he is.  One of the highlights of the college football season was seeing how his players talked about him.
    My girlfriend went to IU so I started watching Hoosier football last fall, you could tell that the Hoosier players would run through a wall for Tom Allen. That being said college sports history is littered with coaches who leave their alma mater or home state for a bigger job, though it's probably more common with non-power programs.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Being the Associate Head Coach is a good thing for your resume.  Shows that you have experience in game management and preparation for the whole team, not just a position group.