Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Basketball @ Goggin?

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but has Miami ever considered making Goggin a basketball and hockey facility? Would this be more cost effective and give a viable option for a new home to Miami hoops?

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Yes..has been discussed on a number of occasions. I will defer to the more knowledgeable here that have offered up engineering and practical considerations that make that prospect problematic.
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    Could be done - not originally built for this config though, so sidelines would be too wide on all 4 sides - esp in ends. Also, suite locations not ideal for BB (corners). Could certainly be retrofitted cheaper than building a new arena though... location is much more appealing being in middle of Frosh dorms and easier in general for students to walk to for games.
    Cincykid3
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Be nice if it was workable..such a beautiful arena.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    96Skins said:

Could be done - not originally built for this config though, so sidelines would be too wide on all 4 sides - esp in ends. Also, suite locations not ideal for BB (corners). Could certainly be retrofitted cheaper than building a new arena though... location is much more appealing being in middle of Frosh dorms and easier in general for students to walk to for games.

Multiple black curtains might help shrink all 4 sides......
    moose
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    What’s the over/under on how long it would be until the students discovered basketball was moved?3 perhaps 4 games.
    digitalhawk
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Could the collective wins between the two count as a "20 win" season?

• 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but has Miami ever considered making Goggin a basketball and hockey facility? Would this be more cost effective and give a viable option for a new home to Miami hoops?

Not happening
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

If I recall the old discussions (from around the time of construction) correctly, in order to be a combo hoops/basketball facility, the building needs a bigger footprint than it has.  (Something to do with the cooling infrastructure needed to run a combination facility being bigger than the cooling needed for just ice.)  Making the footprint bigger would have meant sacrificing the parking garage, so they didn't do it. But I may be wrong on the details--I'm sure someone can correct me.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    theChuck... I think you are partially correct. My recollection is that because of the campus wide underground heating system the size/capacity of Goggin was reduced. However, making Goggin a multi-use (MBB, WBB and VB) was never in the tea leaves. This was always a 100% HKY facility. Original planned capacity was reduced because of the aforementioned. 
  • Late90sGloryLate90sGlory Summer Orientee
    I wonder if Millett is truly a major barrier in regards to recruiting? Or just an obstacle to overcome? Kids are willing to spend the winter in Buffalo. They've recruited around that issue. And that's a pretty big issue.

I graduated in '99, so I was spoiled with great basketball. Millett wasn't amazing (well, it was against Xavier and Tennessee) but with the student seating all around the court, we had a great time.
    skin66
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

I wonder if Millett is truly a major barrier in regards to recruiting? Or just an obstacle to overcome? Kids are willing to spend the winter in Buffalo. They've recruited around that issue. And that's a pretty big issue.

I graduated in '99, so I was spoiled with great basketball. Millett wasn't amazing (well, it was against Xavier and Tennessee) but with the student seating all around the court, we had a great time.

I am sure a new arena would help and I hope we get one but I tend to agree with take that it could be overcome. I know people are going to object to Millets sight lines (fair) and theatre seats (not fair) but Kents arena is a dump compared to Miamis. They have a better scoreboard but the lower level seats are like the Seagate center used to rent for the MAC tourney and the upper level which is the majority are wooden benches and you dont have to get too far up to see the practice hoops. They dont get great crowds either except for the Akron game.
    edited February 17

I think it's an obstacle...a pretty big one in that it is an extremely odd venue....not many or another like it.

You hear all kinds of talk from coaches to refs to fans that state it's only decent when near capacity (i.e., new capacity)...even then it is not great.

Yes if you have 9k in there you forget its so odd...and when they had the seating in endzones and no curtains.

That never happens though.....UB is a premier public University, has a great arena and "city"....that's a lot that can be sold...

IMO the arena is a small obstacle but not one that can’t be overcome. We are not in a metropolitan area. That can’t be overcome. We don’t have that mystic anymore. How to overcome that. No idea. Dynamic player and coach? Not certain how we can do that, but if we do we dammed well better not waste it by screwing up the next coach after that.
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    edited February 16
    Basketball is a little different than FB, Hockey, etc in that they have more games (FB) and it’s much more personal of an experience- no helmets, glass, etc., so their identity as a team is tied to Millett. I’d argue FB recruiting is more about the ops ctr and indoor than stadium because they spend so much more time there as opposed to the stadium (even tho they do practice in the stadium quite a bit). BB at MU practice and play in Millett - locker rms there, coaches offices, Aux gym, etc. - it’s all kind of a dump - can’t get around it by saying we have a nice BB ops facility. It’s really a shame nothing has been done and it’ll be at least 5 yrs before anything significant happens.
    Look at OU...solid coaching hires...but Convo is nice...Athens is in middle of nowhere, yet they recruit well.

skins said:

Look at OU...solid coaching hires...but Convo is nice...Athens is in middle of nowhere, yet they recruit well.

Hmm, solid coaching hires, recruit well, we need to try that. We are in the middle of nowhere, so we already have that going.

skinsmoose
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited February 17
    Millett is merely part of a much larger recruiting problem for men's basketball; the arena is emblematic of a total lack of institutional support, investment, and general fucks given from the administrative wing of the building.

If we had an athletic department that otherwise cared about the product on the floor, we could work around having Millett as our arena. 
    skinsredhawk11Love_and_HonorDICKNickskin
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Millett is merely part of a much larger recruiting problem for men's basketball; the arena is emblematic of a total lack of institution support, investment, and general fucks given from the administrative wing of the building.

If we had an athletic department that otherwise cared about the product on the floor, we could work around having Millett as our arena. 
    Millett is basically an office building with a basketball court attached. Not a great vibe.
    edited February 17
    Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

Millett is merely part of a much larger recruiting problem for men's basketball; the arena is emblematic of a total lack of institution support, investment, and general fucks given from the administrative wing of the building.

Millett is basically an office building with a basketball court attached. Not a great vibe.
    Small correction...a 60s office building with fallout bunker.   Cushy seats and 70s carpet are not your typical arena fair.

As noted it's a reflection of the poor choices and/or lack of any support for the program.   

RenmancoNickskin