Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The 2021 off-season thread...3 transfers already

BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
First Rourke Russell and Phil Knies, now Casey Gilling entering the transfer wormhole.

Comments

• 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Makes sense.  All three are seniors and with minor league hockey mostly shut down if they do have professional aspirations or just desire to play one winning season to close out their careers they should take advantage of the extra year of eligibility somewhere else.
    Nescacdad
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Makes sense. Perhaps Berg wants to bring in more of his own guys as well.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Do you think any of this has anything to do with the “drawing the line in the sand” kind of talk Berge has often stated about people being on board with his ambitions for the program?
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    2xHawk said:

Makes sense.  All three are seniors and with minor league hockey mostly shut down if they do have professional aspirations or just desire to play one winning season to close out their careers they should take advantage of the extra year of eligibility somewhere else.

Exactly.
    Spanks004 said:

Makes sense. Perhaps Berg wants to bring in more of his own guys as well.

Correct as well.

DRAIN THE SWAMP!!
    FraggleHawk

Do you think any of this has anything to do with the “drawing the line in the sand” kind of talk Berge has often stated about people being on board with his ambitions for the program?

Absolutely. 

And a lot of it isn't the players' faults. Playing for eight coaches in three seasons is incredibly difficult for these guys. They learn one style, then no, this coach wants this, then wait, we're changing again the next year.

icepics
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Speaking of recruiting, hopefully Jimmy Mullin getting the 15-year-olds gig for the AAA Blue Jackets helps us renew our ties to that program.
    icepics
    Mike Haviland stepped down from COVID College.

Brent Brekke's SLU team made the NCAAs but withdrew because he tested positive for Beer Virus.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Mike Haviland stepped down from COVID College.

Brent Brekke's SLU team made the NCAAs but withdrew because he tested positive for Beer Virus.
    Here's the article.  This completely sucks

greggie76
  • icepicsicepics Havighurstite
    I think it was the last regular season game Greg was talking during the broadcast about getting to the point of having more of the players recruited by Berge. That might be a good thing going forward.
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    A bunch of kids are transferring from BGSU, including all four of their SR 100+ point scoring forwards...
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

A bunch of kids are transferring from BGSU, including all four of their SR 100+ point scoring forwards...

Those guys would have been recruited by our staff.  Maybe they would like a shot at playing against the best programs in the country.  With great facilities and actual trees on the campus.
    DanRedhawk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Those guys would have been recruited by our staff.  Maybe they would like a shot at playing against the best programs in the country.  With great facilities and actual trees on the campus.
    DICK typically doesn't do comedy on MHT.com, but when he does it's damn funny.
    Covid transferrs could be a major opportunity for Berg to add a jolt to the rebuild by adding some proven offensive players from some of the lower division teams that may be looking for greater exposure that playing in the NCHC can provide.  If he can get talent that already know his culture and can help set the tone for underclassmen even better.
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    So, we are going to strip BG naked!
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    I really don't want to see that.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

I really don't want to see that.

As someone who lives in the area, nor do I.
    Gilling headed to Duluth.

Gilling headed to Duluth.

The rich get richer.
    Kraws was listing in the gopher thread.
    MUHawk84
    BUGS' Will Cullen coming to Oxford!

That's big.
    EDDIEMowchDICKD_Dayredhawk11thechuck_2112Love_and_HonorNYCRedHawk
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    WCHA First-Team. Nice.
    Co-WCHA defensive player of the year and second-highest scoring defenseman in the country? I’ll take it
    I know it's just one player but I feel a lot better about 2021-22 with that addition.

Lack of D is a key reason for this five- (seven-?) year slide. Daschke is a stud and I really liked how Drazner developed.

That bumps the bottom few starting D down a spot each which should be a serious help.

Now bring in some offense. And another goalie. And even more defensemen.

We have another goalie. Lowell transfer Logan Neaton, a Winnipeg draftee. Played six games in 2 seasons with the Minutemen.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    Bonk said:

We have another goalie. Lowell transfer Logan Neaton, a Winnipeg draftee. Played six games in 2 seasons with the Minutemen.

Did he play any for the River Hawks?
    moose
    Got my east coast mascots confused. If your intention was to be a smart-ass, well played.

If not, six games for Lowell in two seasons.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    Bonk said:

Got my east coast mascots confused. If your intention was to be a smart-ass, well played.

Just after midnight on a Friday night. An intoxicated smart ass it was!
    Bonk
    19goSkins said:

Bonk said:

Just after midnight on a Friday night. An intoxicated smart ass it was!

Doing Miami proud! :)
    Final NHL prospect rankings has Red Savage ranked 54th among NA skaters, which makes him a likely third-rounder.