Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2021 Reds Thread

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
edited March 26 in Paid to Play
Sorry to start this with a death notice.  Mike Bell, brother of the Reds manager and a coach for the Twins, died today of kidney cancer.  His Dad Buddy Bell and his grandfather Gus Bell played for the Reds.  Buddy also took classes at Miami for the first couple of off seasons when he was in the minors and he was in one of my classes.  Very classy family, and Mike Bell has a wife and kids.

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I have both of my fantasy baseball drafts this weekend ( actually the one on Sunday is an auction).  Anyway, I have been studying all week for this.  Here is the Reds likely everyday lineup ( Shogo is injured) C Tucker Barnhart  1B  Joey Votto  2B  Jonathan India  3B  Mike Moustakos  SS  Eugenio Suarez  LF  Jesse Winker  CF  Nick Senzel  RF Nick Castellanos.  Unless there is a settlement with the union, no DH in the NL this season.

In looking at this lineup, a few things strike me.  Over half of the lineup are third basemen.  A few years ago we were all wondering why the Reds first draft pick a couple of years in a row was a 3B when they had just signed Suarez to a long term deal.  Then last year the Reds signed two Free Agents, both of whom have spent most of their major league career as 3B's.  So we have a 3B playing third, one in RF, one in CF, one at 2B, and one at SS.  Another thing is we are starting 8 white guys.  Hopefully we will hit, because this is about as slow a lineup as I can remember.  Senzel has speed. I have never seen India play, but he is young, so I hope he can run.  Everybody else is slow.

The pitching staff is unsettled because the following key guys have all had injury issues this Spring:  Sonny Gray, Michael Lorenzon, Amir Garrett, Lucas Sims, and Wade Miley.  Some or all are ready to start the season, but none of those guys have really had a good chance to throw the needed innings to be really prepared.
    ChrisW1980
  • twstws Off-Campus Slummer
    And one at 1B.  Actually Votto played 3B in rookie ball in 2002, so technically 6.
    MowchDICKChrisW1980
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    edited March 26
    India has good speed and runs the bases well...not Senzel speed, but above average.

Amir Garrett has thrown to Reds hitters and appeared in one or two B games, prior to this week. His 3 outings this week in the regular spring games yielded this pitching line:

3 0 0 0 0 9

Garrett is ready. The other pitchers you mention, I agree aren’t ready.

Reds are going to need to stay healthy, as besides their starting 8 (and Akiyama), I don’t like their depth. Pitching staff will need 2-3 guys to emerge, like Hoffman, De Leon, and Vladimir Gutierrez.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Mowch said:

India has good speed and runs the bases well...not Senzel speed, but above average.

Amir Garrett has thrown to Reds hitters and appeared in one or two B games, prior to this week. His 3 outings this week in the regular spring games yielded this pitching line:

3 0 0 0 0 9

Garrett is ready. The other pitchers you mention, I agree aren’t ready.

Reds are going to need to stay healthy, as besides their starting 8 (and Akiyama), I don’t like their depth. Pitching staff will need 2-3 guys to emerge, like Hoffman, De Leon, and Vladimir Gutierrez.

Other than strikeouts Deleon has been atrocious. Garrett outstanding. I hope to see Tyler Stephenson get in the lineup sharing time with Barnhart. Bottom line though is if the lineup doesn't perform better offensively than last year it doesn't matter what the pitching staff does. Minus Bauer it won't be as good but with Mahle, Gray (when healthy) and Castillo it can at least be solid. 
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited April 1
    Opening Day!  Substitute Reds for Mets and there you have it!

Re6H5wkChrisW1980
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer
    Heading down to the game tomorrow-hoping for a better performance than in yesterday's game.  It will just be good to be back at the ballpark.  The last game I attended was Marty Brennaman's final game in September, 2019.  
    MowchDICK2xHawk

Heading down to the game tomorrow-hoping for a better performance than in yesterday's game.  It will just be good to be back at the ballpark.  The last game I attended was Marty Brennaman's final game in September, 2019.  

I'm counting on you bringing in win #1, ChrisW!
    ChrisW1980
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer

I'm counting on you bringing in win #1, ChrisW!
    I came through, Professor Fate!   Actually, great offensive performance the entire series by the Reds-27 runs!
    Professor_FateDICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Of course Molina does not get punished.
    Mowch
    redhawk11 said:

Mowch said:

redhawk11 said:

To be fair, he's only choking the back of his neck.  But I would consider this a giant sized Vulcan nerve pinch and give him 10 days on Rura Penthe
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Unwritten rules of baseball strike again.  So childish.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Reds need to stop instigating fights....
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    No one made Molina push Castellanos.  Nonsense. 
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Reds are going to have a tough decision to make when Shogo is healthy. It would be hard to send Naquin down the way he is playing, and Aquino is out of options I believe. Some team will grab him.  Maybe Shogo can remain on rehab a little longer!! 
    ChrisW1980
    edited April 7
    Bluesman said:

Reds are going to have a tough decision to make when Shogo is healthy. It would be hard to send Naquin down the way he is playing, and Aquino is out of options I believe. Some team will grab him.  Maybe Shogo can remain on rehab a little longer!! 

Would help if Senzel could be a backup at 2b/3b, that way you could send Farmer or Blandino to the minors.

Pitching staff also gonna have interesting moves when Gray and Lorenzen return. They have a couple of guys with options remaining, but they're pitching well so far.
    ChrisW1980
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I don't think Shogo will be back for at least 5 or 6 more weeks.  These things have a way of working out.  By that time somebody will be slumping and somebody will be injured, I would guess.
    Wade Miley throws a no hitter as the Reds beat the Indians 3-0 in Cleveland!
    Mowch
    Last no hitter was by Homer Bailey on July 2, 2013
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    The Windians are on pace to get no hit 10.45 times this season. #FrontOfficeROOLZ