Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Our softball team IS pretty good.

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
edited April 27 in Softball
The schedule we are playing is unique and challenging, but the ladies seem to be having a great season.  We started out playing our first 13 games on the road, all in the South.  We played 8 games at SEC or ACC teams and went 4-4 in those game, beating #23 Tennessee , Louisville, and Georgia Tech twice.  We are now 16-8 ( 8-0).  All 8 MAC games were at home and we dominated, none of the games were close.  Soon we are embarking on a 22 game MAC road trip, then later on have a 10 game home stand.  Instead of playing 2 or 3 games at home and on the road vs all the other MAC teams, all the games are being played in one trip on one teams home field.  So we have either 4 or 6 game series, which feature 2 DH's, all on one team's field.

In our 8-0 MAC start, we have outscored Central and Western Michigan 75-6.  Half of those 8 wins have been shutouts.

Comments

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    We're a softball school!!!
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Looks like the pitching is good.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

The schedule we are playing is unique and challenging, but the ladies seem to be having a great season.  We started out playing our first 13 games on the road, all in the South.  We played 8 games at SEC or ACC teams and went 4-4 in those game, beating #23 Tennessee , Louisville, and Georgia Tech twice.  We are now 16-8 ( 8-0).  All 8 MAC games were at home and we dominated, none of the games were close.  Soon we are embarking on a 22 game MAC road trip, then later on have a 10 game home stand.  Instead of playing 2 or 3 games at home and on the road vs all the other MAC teams, all the games are being played in one trip on one teams home field.  So we have either 4 or 6 game series, which feature 2 DH's, all on one team's field.

In our 8-0 MAC start, we have outscored Central and Western Michigan 75-6.  Half of those 8 wins have been shutouts.
    Only thing you failed to mention was Viestra pitched a perfect game against CMU in one of them!
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Is Courtney Vierstra our Cat Osterman?
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    We got a vote in the new top 25 poll that came out today (putting us in a tie for 35th). If they can keep winning, this team seems like it could be a contender for a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    We beat Eastern Kentucky today, 15-2. EKU came in at 18-8.
    We picked up a second vote in the top 25 this week. Holding steady in a tie for 35th.

They beat Butler 6-3 in a midweek game today and have a 4 game series against a very bad Akron team this weekend. Great chance for a 5-0 week.
    I'm excited to see where this team can go this season.

We picked up a second vote in the top 25 this week. Holding steady in a tie for 35th.

They beat Butler 6-3 in a midweek game today and have a 4 game series against a very bad Akron team this weekend. Great chance for a 5-0 week.
    Hoping Cummings hits ten dingers on Akron for making her sit a year when she transferred before even stepping on their campus
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    Spanks004 said:

Hoping Cummings hits ten dingers on Akron for making her sit a year when she transferred before even stepping on their campus
    Holy smoke, Cummins has a 1.635 OPS this season. She just may hit 10 homeruns against Akron.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

MAC eliminates intra-conference transfer policy:

Miami leads at Akron today, 11-0 after 4. Zips being held hitless so far. They've also committed 4 errors.
    edited April 9
    11-0 final in 5 innings. Vierstra no-hitter and was a HBP away from another perfect game! 13 in a row for Miami. RedHawks are 19-6 (9-0).
    They won game 1 of the doubleheader 12-4 and game 2 of the doubleheader 9-3. They're now 21-6 (11-0) on the season and have a 15 game winning streak.

They won game 1 of the doubleheader 12-4 and game 2 of the doubleheader 9-3. They're now 21-6 (11-0) on the season and have a 15 game winning streak.

They've won more during this win streak than football and men's basketball this past season combined.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

They've won more during this win streak than football and men's basketball this past season combined.
    That's more indicative of hoops than football. When you have three games it's not much of a chance to channel the 70s teams.
    Vierstra just finished off another perfect game, going the full 7 innings this time. Final score 8-0 to finish off the sweep and extend the winning streak to 16.

Next weekend is a four game series against Buffalo, followed by a huge doubleheader the following Tuesday against fellow undefeated MAC team Ball State.
    Spanks004 said:

Final tally: 7-13, 4 walks, 1 HR, 6 RBI.

I would say that she was playing with an axe to grind, but she's been playing like that all season. Her slash line now sits at .479/.610/1.000 for the season.
    edited April 13
    Miami received 6 votes in this week's poll and is #30 nationally!

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-today/nfca-coaches
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We should be putting some of these games on ESPN+.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

If I can watch my granddaughter play soccer on YouTube from Colorado, I should be able to watch Miami’s spring sports Somebody is missing the boat here.

• NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    My son played baseball and hockey at D3 Hamilton College. Almost all of there sports programs are broadcast online on Northeast Sports Network. I watched a few innings of Hamilton baseball playing Wesleyan on Sunday. Hard to believe how little content is available on the Miami site.
    skin66 said:

DICK said:

If I can watch my granddaughter play soccer on YouTube from Colorado, I should be able to watch Miami’s spring sports Somebody is missing the boat here.

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Miami softball might be the best team that nobody gets to see this year. Families only at games.

Question, what if we can prove we’re fully vaccinated and past the 2 week window? Can we go to the stadium & see the team play then?
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

Miami softball might be the best team that nobody gets to see this year. Families only at games.

Question, what if we can prove we’re fully vaccinated and past the 2 week window? Can we go to the stadium & see the team play then?

I thought Miami updated their policy to 30% capacity
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    SPRING SPORTS ATTENDANCE POLICIES

As Miami Athletics and health authorities continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, capacity at outdoor sporting events in Oxford will be increased up to the maximum of 30% based on the State of Ohio's orders. At this point in time, the primary focus will still be on hosting families and support systems of Miami student-athletes and coaches. Due to the increase in numbers, Miami Athletics will also allocate some seats to accommodate visiting team families and support systems. Specific quantities will be communicated to visiting institutions, who will have the discretion on how the allocation will be used. There is no general public attendance at any Miami Athletics event at this time. 
    COMPLETE RELEASE )

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

SPRING SPORTS ATTENDANCE POLICIES

As Miami Athletics and health authorities continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic, capacity at outdoor sporting events in Oxford will be increased up to the maximum of 30% based on the State of Ohio's orders. At this point in time, the primary focus will still be on hosting families and support systems of Miami student-athletes and coaches. Due to the increase in numbers, Miami Athletics will also allocate some seats to accommodate visiting team families and support systems. Specific quantities will be communicated to visiting institutions, who will have the discretion on how the allocation will be used. There is no general public attendance at any Miami Athletics event at this time. 
    COMPLETE RELEASE )

Thanks, D-Day. I saw your post over on baseball, too.

• 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    edited April 15
    30% of the listed capacity for both stadiums is 180 people.  However the states order says 30% of fixed seats.  If that doesn't include grassy areas that number would be lower.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

30% capacity is 180 people for both softball and baseball.

I was just at a track meet were they painted boxes on the grass around the track for groups to stand. It would seem like Miami could do the same if demand was there. Also agree it seems that we did more espn+ Before the pandemic then after which doesnt make sense

I feel like the MAC and Miami has spent this pandemic looking for reasons of why things cant happen instead of trying to make it work. Both in sports and in school

That is why we played 3 football games and UC played 10 and my sons 9th grade team played 7

That is why BG and Ohio and Toledo had band and cheerleaders and we didnt

• 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Redsea said:

2xHawk said:

30% capacity is 180 people for both softball and baseball.

I was just at a track meet were they painted boxes on the grass around the track for groups to stand. It would seem like Miami could do the same if demand was there. Also agree it seems that we did more espn+ Before the pandemic then after which doesnt make sense

I feel like the MAC and Miami has spent this pandemic looking for reasons of why things cant happen instead of trying to make it work. Both in sports and in school

That is why we played 3 football games and UC played 10 and my sons 9th grade team played 7

That is why BG and Ohio and Toledo had band and cheerleaders and we didnt

There's really no good excuse for not having games on ESPN+, especially with how good these teams are and the individual performances some athletes have had.

They could probably mark spots on the grass but that wouldn't change the capacity limit for the venue set by the state.
    Vierstra with another 17 strikeouts while giving up just 1 hit as Miami best Buffalo 3-0 yesterday! Doubleheader today!