Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Our softball team IS pretty good.

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

killgas20 said:

Won the second game 8-0 in 5 innings.

Looks like the MAC title should come down to next week's double header against Ball State again.
    Any idea what the tie-breaker after head-to-head is?
    I would imagine overall record? But not sure...Miami has a big lead there.
    killgas20 said:

Won first game against UT 9-0 in 6 innings.

Forgot to mention that Courtney Vierstra had yet another no hitter!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

killgas20 said:

Looks like the MAC title should come down to next week's double header against Ball State again.
    In basketball it's record against conference opponents in descending order of the standings. No idea if it's the same for softball.

Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

killgas20 said:

In basketball it's record against conference opponents in descending order of the standings. No idea if it's the same for softball.
    Well I think he's saying assuming both teams would win out and split next week...both teams 2 losses would be against each other
    Spanks004 said:

Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

killgas20 said:

Well I think he's saying assuming both teams would win out and split next week...both teams 2 losses would be against each other
    I think that's fairly unlikely given that both teams have almost 20 games remaining against other opponents. Plus, if we were to win out except for splitting at Ball State, we'd be 48-8 and we wouldn't even need the autobid.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum

Doubleheader sweep! 9-0 and 8-0. Both games were decided by mercy rule. Vierstra threw a 6 inning no-hitter in game 1. Pratt and Turner combined for a 5 inning one-hitter in game 2.

Pratt and Turner are both from the Toledo area, so good for them.

• BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly

Miami softball might be the best team that nobody gets to see this year. Families only at games.

Question, what if we can prove we’re fully vaccinated and past the 2 week window? Can we go to the stadium & see the team play then?

Exactly, and this question applies far beyond sporting events.  Crickets from the CDC.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

Miami softball might be the best team that nobody gets to see this year. Families only at games.

Question, what if we can prove we’re fully vaccinated and past the 2 week window? Can we go to the stadium & see the team play then?

Exactly, and this question applies far beyond sporting events.  Crickets from the CDC.
    I dont think the CDC decides this. There are guidelines from the state and county. Just check mlb and nba attendance it is different by state. Miami has chosen to be very cautious while applying those guidelines
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

I dont think the CDC decides this. There are guidelines from the state and county. Just check mlb and nba attendance it is different by state. Miami has chosen to be very cautious while applying those guidelines
    Exhibit A, Blue Jays playing in Florida while the Rangers were at full capacity.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

Exhibit A, Blue Jays playing in Florida while the Rangers were at full capacity.
    Country - Canada

State - Texas

I think the Blue Jays are only playing in Dunedin until things warm up in Buffalo and then they'll most likely head back to Western NY.  
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Won 14-0 in 5 innings over UT.

Ohio beat Ball State today 3-1.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    killgas20 said:

Won 14-0 in 5 innings over UT.

Ohio beat Ball State today 3-1.

Can we say “Way to go, Bobcats”??
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited April 24
    Another shutout W for Courtney. Being spotted 8 runs in the top of the first meant she didn’t need to be as fine today - gave up four hits. This decent Toledo team hasn’t scored against us in three games - on their home field. They’ve only managed to eke out five hits. Complete Miami dominance!
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    edited April 25

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

Country - Canada

State - Texas

I think the Blue Jays are only playing in Dunedin until things warm up in Buffalo and then they'll most likely head back to Western NY.  

Buffalo has a minor league team and their season is scheduled to start sometime in the next week or so, so the Blue Jays can’y play there this year.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

Country - Canada

State - Texas

Buffalo has a minor league team and their season is scheduled to start sometime in the next week or so, so the Blue Jays can’y play there this year.
    Spending a lot of summers in Western NY, I’m very aware of the AAA teams in Buffalo and Rochester. Buffalo is the Blue Jays affiliate. Rochester’s affiliate is Washington. The issue with Dunedin are the thunderstorms and humidity from May - September. Below is the article I found about Toronto’s plans.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/blue-jays-will-play-2021-home-games-in-florida-at-least-through-may-due-to-covid-restrictions/amp/
    Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

No argument there; I’m not faulting Miami’s guidelines, given the information available.  I’m faulting the CDC.  It has 10,000 employees and a $6.5 billion budget, yet after a year of the most damaging pandemic in U.S. history, it has no answer to this key question.  How do you “follow the science” if the scientists don’t tell you what it is?  And they should be able to:  it has been four months since the first shots, and over 200 million Americans have been vaccinated.  Where are the studies?
    12-3 win in 5 innings. Over the course of the weekend, we went 4-0, outscored Toledo 43-3, won all four games by mercy rule, and only allowed 9 hits. Huge bounceback after dropping a game against Ball State during the week.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited April 25
    Big doubleheader at Ball State this Wednesday 4/28!
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

No argument there; I’m not faulting Miami’s guidelines, given the information available.  I’m faulting the CDC.  It has 10,000 employees and a $6.5 billion budget, yet after a year of the most damaging pandemic in U.S. history, it has no answer to this key question.  How do you “follow the science” if the scientists don’t tell you what it is?  And they should be able to:  it has been four months since the first shots, and over 200 million Americans have been vaccinated.  Where are the studies?

So...you feel that in just 4 short months after the first shots went out, in very small numbers, the CDC should have multiple full-blown studies completed that determine the full efficacy of the vaccines, how long the protection lasts, how prone to infection vaccinated people might be, etc.? 
    Nevermind that those 10,000 employees (as if that's a lot) and a $6.5B budget (as if that's a lot) are also combating and researching numerous other existing diseases. 
    They probably SHOULD re-prioritize so that folks can attend sporting events live everywhere.  Even though the CDC has no power over any entity's COVID rules.   
  • VoxRedHawksVoxRedHawks Dodds God
    Softball doubleheader versus Ball State has been moved to Tuesday April 27th at 2 and 4 pm for potential poor weather on Wednesday.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

Softball doubleheader versus Ball State has been moved to Tuesday April 27th at 2 and 4 pm for potential poor weather on Wednesday.

Thank you for the information
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

Blackbird said:

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

So...you feel that in just 4 short months after the first shots went out, in very small numbers, the CDC should have multiple full-blown studies completed that determine the full efficacy of the vaccines, how long the protection lasts, how prone to infection vaccinated people might be, etc.? 
    Nevermind that those 10,000 employees (as if that's a lot) and a $6.5B budget (as if that's a lot) are also combating and researching numerous other existing diseases. 
    They probably SHOULD re-prioritize so that folks can attend sporting events live everywhere.  Even though the CDC has no power over any entity's COVID rules.   
    Not sure asking a gov’t agency with a 6.5 billion budget to focus on a “global pandemic” is a huge ask. It’s not about sporting events, but a consistently dependable stream of reliable information.

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Can we please focus on the softball team?
    elpalito said:

Blackbird said:

Redsea said:

Blackbird said:

I am reminded by the probably apocryphal quote of the late Senator Everett Dirksen:  "A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking about real money."
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 26
    Play hard, softball. Beat Ball State.   (I'm trying, Chuck)

The games today are available on ESPN+.
  • VoxRedHawksVoxRedHawks Dodds God
    edited April 27

• RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    We have already scored 5 in the top of the first!
    Only dropped to 32nd in the national poll this week, receiving 5 votes.