Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Buddy Schultz

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
There was a great story in the Sunday Dayton Daily by Tom Archdeacon, if someone can link it.  Buddy was a contemporary of mine at Miami and I watched him pitch quite a few times.  As the article mentions, Miami finished #14 in 1972 and Bud Middaugh ( an outstanding baseball coach) brought in a great deal of talent and he pushed those guys and they worked really hard.  Buddy played for 4 or 5 years with the St. Louis Cardinals ( lifetime ERA was under 4) and a few years ago was inducted into the Miami Hall of Fame.  

The really interesting fact about Buddy is that he set a serious NCAA record that still stands today and is one of those which might be still standing 50 years from now.  In a game vs Wright State, he struck out 26 batters.  Buddy reconnected with Miami baseball in recent years and has donated and helped raise funds for our newest baseball facility.
ChrisW1980

Comments

• MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Yeah, that’s a record that might never be broken.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Curious what that WSU locker room was like after the game. The one guy who didn't get out by strikeout was probably strutting around like Reggie Jackson.
    FraggleHawkMowchDICKEDDIENescacdadJohnnyMac
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited April 15
    Remember Buddy pitching for Shaw High in East Cleveland. Pitching in both games of the state championship prompted changes in how many innings high school pitchers were allowed to pitch. He had some great duels with Ken Kravec in the Cleveland amateur leagues, playing for Middaugh. Kravec pitched for Ohio and the White Sox.
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly
    Another Middaugh recruit, Steve Fireovid pitched every game for Bryan his senior year in the playoffs. He left Miami for the minors his junior year after being one of the strike out leaders in the MAC with his 100mph fast ball.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    I knew “Fire” during my time working for the Mariners.. At one point the group sales ticket manager, community relations director, a ball girl, Fire and me - a clubhouse staffer - were all affiliated with the M’s. We had our picture taken together - with KC’s Charlie Liebrandt - at home plate before a game. Steve wrote a book called “The 26th Man” about being on the bubble of the MLB cut. The active roster was 25 then.

Another Middaugh recruit, Steve Fireovid pitched every game for Bryan his senior year in the playoffs. He left Miami for the minors his junior year after being one of the strike out leaders in the MAC with his 100mph fast ball.

FraggleHawk