Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Article - Sam Bachman could go in 1st round MLB draft

Comments

• 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Link wasn't working...

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/miami-pitcher-could-go-in-first-round-of-mlb-draft/I4B62ZPVIBDFRKC3OWF4NONPUA/

Crazy that the possibly best player in program history we only got to witness a small glimpse of his freshman season.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

Link wasn't working...

Crazy that the possibly best player in program history we only got to witness a small glimpse of his freshman season.
    Thanks for catching that with the link
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Strange team is not better...
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Strange team is not better...

Why?

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited May 12
    You'd think with that dominant a pitcher we might be above 500.

Looks like only 9 starts or so....not sure a college pitching rotation, maybe 3 to 5 starters.

That said 5-4 in his starts, he's only 2-2.  Looks like some close losses in those starts though....maybe we don't have the bats always (looks like the recipe I mention here, came together against OU).

Anyway, impressive player...nice to see some lesser mainstream college sports for Miami having some success, inlcuding softball, field hockey...volleyball etc...

• MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    Bachman on 700 WLW Sports Talk at 6:36 EDT tonight. Draft predictions I've seen have him going in the 10-17 range.
  • twstws Off-Campus Slummer
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited July 11
    #9 overall to the Angels.

Congrats to Sam!
    Re6H5wkLove_and_Honorredhawk11Bash_RiprockScalperJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

Congrats to Sam!

Highest Miamian to be drafted since Ron Harper?
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    He moved up a bit from most of the draft projections I saw which had him more like #15-17. Congrats to Sam!
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

muhawk said:

Congrats to Sam!

I think Wally went #6 to the timberwolves.
    DICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

muhawk said:

Congrats to Sam!

I think Wally went #6 to the timberwolves.
    You're right! Behind someone named Jonathan Bender.
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    Wally was drafted number 6
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Drafted ahead of much-hyped phenom Kumar Rocker. Wow. He must have dropped in the ratings recently … I haven’t been paying attention.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Really nice to see a Miami player go in the top 10 of a draft!! 
    Re6H5wkChrisW1980DICK
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Lengthy LA Times piece on Bachman, who has been at or near the top of the Angels' draft board for quite some time.

2xHawk
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    The Angels drafted only pitchers in the first 20 rounds.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    JohnnyMac said:

The Angels drafted only pitchers in the first 20 rounds.

That's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.
    Professor_Fate
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    There were only 20 rounds so they only took pitchers.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

There were only 20 rounds

The later rounds were always mostly patronage picks with no shot at the majors, so nothing really lost by cutting it to 20.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

There were only 20 rounds so they only took pitchers.

They have had a good offense and a pathetic pitching staff for years.
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly

2xHawk said:

There were only 20 rounds

The later rounds were always mostly patronage picks with no shot at the majors, so nothing really lost by cutting it to 20.
    And to fill out the lower level minor league teams…of which many were given the axe. Boo on cutting minor league teams.

Sam needs to hurry up and get on the Inland Empire 66ers so I can go see a game.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Sam needs to hurry up and get on the Inland Empire 66ers so I can go see a game.

I'd be shocked if he pitches for the 66ers. What I've read is that part of the reason the Angels picked him over other players is that they think they can fast track him to the majors to shore up their bullpen for the stretch run this season. Very little chance they send him to low-A ball.
    Mowchthechuck_2112
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

I'd be shocked if he pitches for the 66ers. What I've read is that part of the reason the Angels picked him over other players is that they think they can fast track him to the majors to shore up their bullpen for the stretch run this season. Very little chance they send him to low-A ball.
    Why do the Angels care about the stretch run this year?

greggie76

Yeah, but 66ers tickets are a hell of a lot cheaper than Angels tickets, even if Angel Stadium is like 60 miles closer to my house.
    edited July 24
    redhawk11 said:

Why do the Angels care about the stretch run this year?

This is another totally-on-pace season for the Angels.

Record at the All-Star break in 2021: 45-44
    2020: no break
    2019: 45-46
    2018: 49-48
    2017: 45-47

(The 2017 and 2018 Angels both finished a respectable 80-82 and were 21 and 23 games back, respectively.)
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Nothing says Angels baseball like mediocrity and wasting generational talent.