Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

It's name, image, and likeness day

thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
Who do you think gets the first endorsement deals from Miami?

"As a fifth-year player on the Miami football team, I know a thing or two about being a senior. Let me tell you about the Knolls of Oxford..."
mooseDevilGradNYCRedHawkmuhawkLove_and_Honorkillgas20Re6H5wkNescacdadChrisW1980

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I think schools need to adapt to this quickly. Now it will not only be necessary to show off facilities, NFL players etc, but schools in recruiting need to be able to show these recruits how their school, in this case, Miami, can help them better than others in getting NIL deals and maximize their college income and exposure. 

In that regard, I saw yesterday, Chuck Martin was tweeting all the CEOs etc Miami has that connects you to the business world. Miami needs to keep doing that but we need someone on the staff who is hooking players up with representatives and potential companies for endorsement deals. 

A whole new world!!
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

"As a fifth-year player on the Miami football team, I know a thing or two about being a senior. Let me tell you about the Knolls of Oxford..."
    I understand the fairness aspect of this. The high level power 5 model made no sense with college coaches making huge money and players just getting free college. It was a lot different in the 70’s and 80’s when most coaches were making modest amounts.

But I find it hard to believe this will be good in the long run for Miami. Not a lot of businesses that would be looking for a Miami athlete endorsement and with the new transfer rules there are legitimate reasons to leave after each year
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Back in the day, I would gladly have endorsed "The Sangy Man" in exchange for free food.
    Scalper
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    The average worker in USA makes about $40k/year

Miami University cost to attend room/board/tuition/books at about $31k

So if mom and dad are paying with after tax income and they're paying about 35% in fed/state/local taxes, which they probably are, they have to make about $47,700 to have enough left over to send kiddie to Miami. For out of state it's $51k to attend and mom and dad have to scrape together $78,500 to have enough to pay for jr's Miami expenses. 

One might say that full ride athletic scholarship is the equivalent to at least $47,700/year job. Opps...forgot they also get about $240/month in cash stipend, full medical help, unlimited academic tutors if needed and who knows what else?

For private schools the numbers are amazingly higher. Those "poor" kids at Power Five private schools have equivalent jobs that are $100,000k and more. 

I know it's a lot of time and effort for athletes on a full ride (partial rides too!) that's spent pursuing their sport but for what they're getting from the university most would say it's a fair deal. As a college kid making more than the average wage earner for part time work ain't all that bad.

I know they've been screaming about NIL for a while but I think for most, the value of the scholarship and what they can do with it when they graduate is a good deal. 

Just one more way for P5 schools to distance themselves from the rest of us heel nipper Group of Five schools. 

I live in Columbus and I'm really not interested in seeing OSU's quarterback yakking it up for Ricart Ford or Donato's Pizza. Might even make me turn the game off and see what's new on Amazon Prime. 

On top of that Miami's sports are already gigantically subsidized by student activity fees. For some poor kid and his parents that are taking out student loans they'll be paying back for 10 years after he graduates and working a part time job while paying for the 3rd string right tackles pizza on Friday while he's complaining he's being taken advantage of is a bit much for me personally. 

Long winded way of saying i think NIL sucks. 
    agcaba222
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    I think scholarships are a good deal. I also think, if a company wants to pay them, college athletes should have the right to make money. I don’t see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. If you’re so upset that a college kid is making money, I think that’s a “you” problem, not the kids.
    Bash_RiprockJCook32Love_and_HonorRHawksAlumniQuinoaburgerredhawk11MacCracken
    edited July 2
    I actually think Davearama brings up one very good point that is hard for me. Certainly great if Brick Street wants to sponsor Jack Sorensen. But should Miami students be footing the bill for his scholarship then. It would seem that are athletes get the best of both worlds in that sense. Ugh I hate that answer
    JohnnyMac
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

One might say that full ride athletic scholarship is the equivalent to at least $47,700/year job. Opps...forgot they also get about $240/month in cash stipend, full medical help, unlimited academic tutors if needed and who knows what else?

Let us know if you're okay with your employer paying your salary in the form of Amazon gift cards.
    redhawk11aba222
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

I actually think Davearama brings up one very good point that is hard for me. Certainly great if Brick Street wants to sponsor Jack Sorensen. But should Miami students be footing the bill for his scholarship then. It would seem that are athletes get the best of both worlds in that sense. Ugh I hate that answer

Why? If a kid on a engineer scholarship makes $12 an hour working weekends at skippers, should the university deduct that from their scholarship? Good luck recruiting students, much less football players if that’s the case.
    Bash--first of all I'm the employer. Own a small business. 

That seems kind of a silly way to pay my employees. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be paid that way. 

All that said I'm not sure I get your point?

At some point if/when it gets to that point and some 1st round draft pick is making $250k hawking BMW's and pizza at Power 5 U what's the difference between them and the NFL? Guess I'll take back to some degree what I said earlier...if I'll watch the NFL on Sunday might as well watch OSU's Million Dollar in NIL revenue team on Saturday night. Yea go bucks.

agc

Redsea said:

Why? If a kid on a engineer scholarship makes $12 an hour working weekends at skippers, should the university deduct that from their scholarship? Good luck recruiting students, much less football players if that’s the case.
    Would you think the engineering scholarship is paid by the students- i guess you could argue in some ways money is fungible but I think it is different.

Look I hope Miami athletes get a million dollar Brunos contract.
  • JCook32JCook32 Dodds God
    But like, why do you care that a college football player can make some money posting on social media or signing some autographs or being paid to appear on a radio show?

I think this helps G5 vs P5. If Miami does a really good job setting up athletes to grow their brand and take advantage of marketing opps, they can make a compelling argument to be the big fish in the little pond rather than go sit the bench at a P5.

Also, I think that less than 10 athletes across all sports will make $250k off their NIL in a given year. I think you're overestimating the marketing budgets of Ricart Ford and Donatos Pizza...
    Davearama said:

Bash--first of all I'm the employer. Own a small business. 

That seems kind of a silly way to pay my employees. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be paid that way. 

All that said I'm not sure I get your point?

At some point if/when it gets to that point and some 1st round draft pick is making $250k hawking BMW's and pizza at Power 5 U what's the difference between them and the NFL? Guess I'll take back to some degree what I said earlier...if I'll watch the NFL on Sunday might as well watch OSU's Million Dollar in NIL revenue team on Saturday night. Yea go bucks.

Based on your second comment it's fairly clear that you do get my point. You just don't realize it yet.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you are insisting that there has to be a difference between college football and the NFL and that that difference HAS to be amateur-ism vs. professionalism.

I shudder to think that you're okay with an institution like the University of Texas making millions off the sale of Ricky Williams' jersey, while Ricky was putting his physical well-being on the line every Saturday and not reaping any of those jersey sales revenues.
    JCook32redhawk11
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    I love college football and basketball, but at the end of the day the core issue at hand is that universities shouldn't be in the business of acting as minor leagues for pro sports. There's certainly a place for college athletics even if the NFL and NBA magically could effective develop feeder leagues out of thin air to mostly replace them, but as it stands the current role of revenue sports ultimately undermines the purpose of higher education imo.
    aba222
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2
    I just don't see it helping Miami athletes much....would it have benefitted Wally, sure..
    Ben sure...did these guys really need that benefit...probably not.

They'd take it...but not seeing this as helpful to the little guys (MAC)...at the same time....what is the percentage of players from the bigger schools.

Higher for sure, but it's not like every OL/DL or backup safety is getting a deal?   Need some profit sharing like NFL.  The guys that are already going to "big time" schools will still be going to those schools, and just earning money "legally."

I suppose occasionally, we could land some big fish, because they would be getting paid and that might offset playing at a "smaller school"???  Who knows?

Otherwise, maybe we have some talented youtubers, tiktoks on our teams (student body), etc....and they can now get paid and not get in trouble?

There's always a chance that some recruits come from an area where they are a big deal...and they get some local endorsement at home..
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2

Sixth-year (COVID and all) right??

;)
    thechuck_2112
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    We have a great resource on campus that the athletic department needs to use. Bring over advisors from the Farmer School of Business and get them set up with NIL deals. 
    JCook32agcMacCrackenChrisW1980
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    edited July 2
    Bluesman said:

We have a great resource on campus that the athletic department needs to use. Bring over advisors from the Farmer School of Business and get them set up with NIL deals. 

There's no way they can do this.

It's one thing to offer tips and tools to help the athlete "build their brand" (I feel like I've seen on social media that we already do this) but it's a whole other thing to be out recruiting NIL deals for them.
    edited July 2
    Quite honestly a lot of student-athletes who will be getting sponsorships and endorsements will be doing so because of their social media presence that they probably started "building" before they were even in college. There's a set of twins on the Fresno State women's basketball team that just got some sort of sponsorship deal, not because they are athletes (though they are very good, MWC player of the year for one and all-conference accolades for the other), but because they have a big following on Tik-Tok. Prior to the NIL ruling they would not have been able to take financial advantage of their Tik-Tok presence simply because they are NCAA athletes. That in my humble opinion is (or was) wrong.
    2xHawk
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    I have a vision of well-heeled boosters offering five star recruits “jobs” hawking this or that in exchange for really big money. It’s probably not much different than it always has been except now it’s legal. Can’t wait for Nevada Wolfpack players to start promoting the Mustang Ranch on TV!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Oxford does not offer much in the way of media/advertising opportunities. With the many hundreds of athletes we have, 99% of them are not going to get money that way.  It is going to have to be through social media or deals involving businesses owned or operated by Miamians, or perhaps running camps back at their hometown.
    JCook32agcChrisW1980
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2

Quite honestly a lot of student-athletes who will be getting sponsorships and endorsements will be doing so because of their social media presence that they probably started "building" before they were even in college. There's a set of twins on the Fresno State women's basketball team that just got some sort of sponsorship deal, not because they are athletes (though they are very good, MWC player of the year for one and all-conference accolades for the other), but because they have a big following on Tik-Tok. Prior to the NIL ruling they would not have been able to take financial advantage of their Tik-Tok presence simply because they are NCAA athletes. That in my humble opinion is (or was) wrong.

Some interesting stuff on Twitter today about this. Marshall OL Will Ulmer plays country shows at Huntington bars.  Thanks to the new NIL rules, he can now use his real name instead of a stage name. SMU safety Ra-Sun Kazadi, a graphic design major who's seen very little field time due to injuries, can now have gallery shows and sell his paintings under his own name.
    2xHawkQuinoaburger
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Some interesting stuff on Twitter today about this. Marshall OL Will Ulmer plays country shows at Huntington bars.  Thanks to the new NIL rules, he can now use his real name instead of a stage name. SMU safety Ra-Sun Kazadi, a graphic design major who's seen very little field time due to injuries, can now have gallery shows and sell his paintings under his own name.
    I never did understand why Will Ulmer chose the stage name Hick Planecrash.

But yeah, this isn't going to just be car dealerships and shady boosters. 
    muhawkelpalito
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

Oxford does not offer much in the way of media/advertising opportunities. With the many hundreds of athletes we have, 99% of them are not going to get money that way.  It is going to have to be through social media or deals involving businesses owned or operated by Miamians, or perhaps running camps back at their hometown.

Dick is exactly correct. I don't see much opportunity for Miami athletes to benefit in this.

Most have no idea how limited NIL deals are to the few superstars that get all the bucks. In my prior life I did several deals to use some high profile Cincinnati Reds in advertising. We paid almost nothing to do it. The money paled compared to what  our athletes are getting in an athletic scholarship. The economics don't favor athletes in small markets.

You also have the issue in using athletes NIL that you also have to get license from Miami if they are going to appear in uniform. The student athlete cannot just show up and advertise his/her association with Miami. They have to be able to do it with their own NIL. Even a Big Ben at Miami is not a real valuable NIL if he is not wearing Miami apparel. Miami could grant the license gratis to help the athlete but it is still a hoop that any advertiser would have to go through.
    agc

This is where the real benefit is for 99% of athletes.  Social media and side hustles.
    Bash_Riprock
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

This is where the real benefit is for 99% of athletes.  Social media and side hustles.
    If you look at the Instagram stories for Barstool Sports Miami it's packed with athletes who are each a "new Barstool athlete". Who knows what that entails.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

You also have the issue in using athletes NIL that you also have to get license from Miami if they are going to appear in uniform. The student athlete cannot just show up and advertise his/her association with Miami. They have to be able to do it with their own NIL. Even a Big Ben at Miami is not a real valuable NIL if he is not wearing Miami apparel. Miami could grant the license gratis to help the athlete but it is still a hoop that any advertiser would have to go through.

It would be unspeakably reckless if Miami doesn't already have a plan in place to ensure that this happens as a matter of course, with any athlete….so long as they aren’t going on a billboard for a strip club or something.
    JCook32
    Bash...I do get it now. (I think!) Guess what I'm saying is that things like free academic help, access to trainers and docs and cash stipends have real value in addition to the room, board and tuition. Kind of like handing out Amazon cards as an undeclared added employee benefit.  

As for Rickey Williams, I'd say his full ride scholarship and the extras mentioned above plus the opportunities he'll have after college, which 99.5% of the rest of his student body won't have are a very fair trade for what's he's doing as a scholarship athlete. Bet not many of his fellow grads mad million or two in first couple years after they graduated. What do you think?

Let me make this a bit personal. I've mentioned before I've got a nephew who's full ride f/b player at UC. He's torched both knees in non contact team drills. Team docs have told him his run as a linebacker is over. Trying to gain 50+ lbs to play defensive end for last season or two not in the cards. So he got medicaled and UC will honor his full five years. He's good student and great kid and will wind up getting his MBA in five thanks to football. This summer he's got a dream internship because of f/b and will probably have a fabulous job opportunity when he's done. All things said I think he's gotten a good deal for his scholarship and if you were to ask him I doubt he'd say he has been taken advantage of no matter what the coach makes. 

And yes....I do think of college athletes as amateurs and pros as well...pros. Just having been a scholarship athlete and a parent who's paid for three kids thru college I have a true understanding of what a scholarship is worth and think that's enough. Maybe it's generational, don't know. 

agcDICK
    Totally forgot about Cameo. That might be the most lucrative avenue (and a significant one) for many athletes.
    dudis41redhawk11muhawk
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    If you don’t know Donald De LaHaye’s story, check it out. An interesting example of an athlete who was forced to choose between his scholarship and making a lot of money.
  • The_RockThe_Rock Havighurstite
    Jeremy Bloom would have also been helped out a ton by this decision.  Had a lucrative skiing career, which are normally funded by sponsorships because at those levels it's crazy expensive.   Had to forego the sponsorships in order to maintain his eligibility for Colorado Buffs.  
    skin66grumpy1muhawkMacCracken