Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami’s Olympic Champion Bob Schul

RedHawks97RedHawks97 Dodds God
edited July 25 in Miami Memos
The link below is to a video of the final three laps of Bob Schul’s gold medal performance in the 1964 Olympics 5,000 meter race. He became the first and still only American to win Olympic gold at that distance.
Love and Honor
Bash_Riprockbpat90skinskin66Professor_FateMowchBlackbirdRedsea2xHawkLove_and_Honorand 3 others.

Comments

• RedHawks97RedHawks97 Dodds God
    edited July 25
    What an amazing season Bob Schul had in 1964 He was undefeated in all his collegiate, National and international races that year. Read about this amazing Miamian below.

http://es.pn/1Cs4UGl
    thechuck_2112
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Wow! That was fun to watch! What a final lap!
    RedHawks97
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Many Track & Field aficinados consider the 5,000 meters (or the 10,000) to be the premier distance event.  Up until that race no American had ever earned a medal, when the US  won two.  No US runner has won the 5,000 since!

I like to go on Youtube about once a year and watch that.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Schul's 5000 m Miami record of 13:38.24 stood for 21 years until Brian Carlton broke it in 1985 by running a 13:35.12 and finishing 3rd at the NCAA championship meet.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

No US runner has won the 5,000 since!

Had he lived, Pre probably would have won the 5000 m in 1976 (Montreal).
    D_Day
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum

D_Day said:

Some day I hope to make a pilgrimage to Coos Bay & also to Hayward Field!
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    Wow!  I had never heard of this.  Most incredible sprint finish I have ever seen.  Even halfway through the last lap I couldn’t see how he could win.
    Just watched it again..doesn’t get old.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Love the announcers. Reminds me of "Do you believe in miracles? YES!" 

What a finish to win going away!

Thanks Redhawks97. I'd never seen that before. And I was a track guy. Sweet. 
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Davearama = #MiamiDiscusGuru
    Also read that the American Bellinger who won the bronze in a photo finish (took half hour to declare him the 3rd place finisher) went on to a long and distinguished college track coaching record.
    Sorry..typo meant Dellinger.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    in the rain.  on a cinder track, too?  ugh.  lol  that had to suck just with those two conditions.  Nevermind that it was also 5k. 
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Been both places. Used to run laps on the track at Hayward Field whenever I overnighted on business in Eugene.
    D_Day said:

D_Day said:

Some day I hope to make a pilgrimage to Coos Bay & also to Hayward Field!
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Bob has a great Wiki page. Says he’s still around at 83 years old…lives in West Milton near Dayton.
    edited August 14
    nm
    edited August 14
    Nm
    edited August 14
    Play by play was Bud Palmer..his call of the last lap is awesome! His sidekick Dick Bank is famous for his excitement when Billy Mills won the 10,000 meters. He kept yelling “Look at Mills! Look at Mills!”. It is considered a classic and ironically Bank was fired for it by NBC brass.