Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Interesting half of the MAC schools included; however, this report talks more about fan experience, i.e. how many really show up and add to the excitement.  With that, we are indeed a bad stadium.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    dave67 said:

Interesting half of the MAC schools included; however, this report talks more about fan experience, i.e. how many really show up and add to the excitement.  With that, we are indeed a bad stadium.

Exactly. It's a click bait story that doesn't actually talk about the stadiums so much as attendance and atmosphere, there's no way Akron is one of the worst out there. Even by that metric Yager isn't awful with the recent additions.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Yager is a very decent stadium....it’s the atmosphere and attendance that is sorely lacking. (Due to the years of losing).
  • To me, what makes Yager bad are the stairs to get to the seats in the stadium.
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    Our stadium is better than we deserve. Let’s start playing better and not lose at home like the old days!
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    #10  Worst stadium is total BS 
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    That story is complete BS. Whoever wrote it hasn’t been in many stadiums. Akron and Miami have very respectable FBS facilities.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Don't get bent outta shape...It's more a measure of FQI*  

*Fan Quality Index
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    But what we lack in quantity we make up for in quality so I don’t understand why we are not number one. Well, maybe I do, but just don’t want to admit it.

• Here's a question (especially for those who are old enough to remember)...  Which would you prefer?  A shabby, "old school" Miami Field that's right in the middle of campus, easy to walk to (for students), cozy, and full of tradition OR a newer, prettier Yager Stadium that is off campus, sterile (IMO), too big for the avg. attendance, and has flat soda (or is that just Millett)?  Personally, I'd take Miami Field any day, but I grew up with it so I'm probably biased.
    edited December 2018
    I have mixed feelings about this ...when I was at Miami we had old Miami Field and with our perennial top 25 teams th place (all 14,900 seats and SRO) was packed and rocking most every game. That was fun but the away (student) stands were only 20 rows so it wasn’t exactly great for viewing the game. The home side only had 30 rows, all gray metal bleachers with wooden bleachers in the end zones.

I was excited when they built Yager and for many years we had pretty good crowds there during our good seasons (of which we had quite a few). Usually we drew 18-20K at Parents weekend and HC, and usually had 12K-15K or so other games. During the magical 2003 season we even averaged 25K a game.

They’ve made some nice improvements to Yager in recent years with the Cradle of Coaches plaza, the new student stands and having the IPF in the north end zone. The problem we have is twofold...years and years of mediocre results plus the MACtion weeknight games which have turned Yager into a “ghost town” on game nights. Our attendance for these weeknight games are so bad it wouldn’t even help to be in a stadium as small as old Miami Field.

So, do I miss Miami Field..yeah I do but I think Yager could be just as fun if we could rebuild a winning tradition and get our fans back. As for MACtion, there are no answers for that in terms of killing attendance...if the games were only on thursday it wouldn’t be so bad but the Tuesday and Wednesday games are ridiculous. Anyway, the deal is done so there’s no turning back on that in the short term.
  • El13 said:

Our stadium is better than we deserve. Let’s start playing better and not lose at home like the old days!

What do we deserve? Some hundred-year old wooden bleachers surrounding a track?

I wasn't even alive when Miami Field was torn down, but in general the past tends to be glorified. People likely have positive memories of it because of the great teams that played there, but if we were a bad program back then it'd be known as a factory of sadness. Yager ain't Death Valley and it certainly has its flaws, but it's clean and pretty comfortable for a MAC facility. Bring back the fans and it'll be rocking.
    I still have a piece of the end zone bleachers from the last game in 1982. 

Think it was a win 23-0 against Central Michigan,

As I recall they packed over 18K in for that last game. Don’t recall the exact score, but yes, it was a win over CMU. I had already graduated and was living in Denver in those days but I did get back for the HC game vs BG earlier that season. It was a CBS regional game (Dave Diles on the call as I recall) as we were undefeated at the time but I think we limped to a 7-4 final record.
    P.S. one other memory of that season...I believe we played UC at Riverfront Stadium that year (and lost). The game was on TV nationally on TBS and I watched it in Denver. May have been one of the first games Miami played on national TV as MAC games previously were just seen regionally.
    1982 team started out 5-0.

Think injuries hit big that year.
    That also was the year the NCAA reclassified the MAC as IAA for one season. (Due to attendance and/or stadium capacity as I recall) The league refused to acknowledge the lower classification and did not participate in the IAA playoffs. When BG and Miami played we were both ranked in the top 5 or so in the IAA national rankings. A little trivia for you all.

The next season the MAC was re-certified as a IA conference.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I never knew this.
    nm
    I saw games at Miami Field from ‘64 through ‘81. It was the epitome of colorful, rah rah mid-major college football. We were the most recognizable brand in the MAC in that era and were known for pulling upsets nationwide. That said, we all pined for a new stadium and were ecstatic once the construction actually began. I’ll take Yager in 2003 as the poster child for the Miami football experience. I just wish we could replicate on an ongoing basis.
  • ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

P.S. one other memory of that season...I believe we played UC at Riverfront Stadium that year (and lost). The game was on TV nationally on TBS and I watched it in Denver. May have been one of the first games Miami played on national TV as MAC games previously were just seen regionally.

I watched that on TBS also. Year of the NFL strike. Great game. My first exposure to a Miami. My uncle went to UC for hoop so it was a big deal. We had jerseys that looked cool (cut off) but were hell on the o lineman. Great impression.
  • FormerTownieFormerTownie Dodds God
    edited December 2018
    That also was the year the NCAA reclassified the MAC as IAA for one season. (Due to attendance and/or stadium capacity as I recall) The league refused to acknowledge the lower classification and did not participate in the IAA playoffs. When BG and Miami played we were both ranked in the top 5 or so in the IAA national rankings. A little trivia for you all.

The next season the MAC was re-certified as a IA conference.

Yes, I believe the reclassification was due primarily to stadium capacity and home attendance.  IIRC, this new requirement was one of the reasons why Yager was built, even though the initial capacity was around 25,000.  In order to remain DI, schools (or a certain % of a conference) had to meet a certain # of criteria.  Some of them pertained to either avg. attendance, stadium capacity.  Here's a post I found on another message board about the criteria that was hastily established in 1982.  I believe you just had to meet one of them to remain DI:

1. Have 17K average home attendance every year for the past 4 years

2. Have 17K average home attendance in 1 of the past 4 years AND play in a 30K stadium

3. Have 20K average home AND away attendance for the past 4 years if your stadium is less than 30K OR 1 in the past 4 years if your stadium is 30K or greater

4. Play in a minimum of a 6 team conference where at least half the members meet 1-a classification guidelines

Several MAC schools didn't meet this criteria, but I believe the conference was reinstated due to #4.
  • redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
    Nescacdad said:

I’ll take Yager in 2003 as the poster child for the Miami football experience.

Just an awesome time. It was also cool to remember BG was really good that year and were nationally ranked when they rolled into Oxford for a nightcap. My parents came in for that game and I’ll always remember the packed house and sitting in the bleachers with them on a colder night.

I never saw Miami field and don’t know where it was at, but Yager is a pretty good stadium. There is one thing that I wish in particular were done differently in all the changes since I graduated, but I’m not going to bring it up. On a side note, maybe we’ll get some basketball magic in Millett this year if Buffalo comes in nationally ranked, especially if they’re undefeated. That game is Saturday, March 2nd at 2:00 p.m. and I’ll be there +1. March Madness baby!

• muredhawks22muredhawks22 Havighurstite
    redbear18 said:

Nescacdad said:

I’ll take Yager in 2003 as the poster child for the Miami football experience.

Just an awesome time. It was also cool to remember BG was really good that year and were nationally ranked when they rolled into Oxford for a nightcap. My parents came in for that game and I’ll always remember the packed house and sitting in the bleachers with them on a colder night.

I never saw Miami field and don’t know where it was at, but Yager is a pretty good stadium. There is one thing that I wish in particular were done differently in all the changes since I graduated, but I’m not going to bring it up. On a side note, maybe we’ll get some basketball magic in Millett this year if Buffalo comes in nationally ranked, especially if they’re undefeated. That game is Saturday, March 2nd at 2:00 p.m. and I’ll be there +1. March Madness baby!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Miami Field used to be where Pearson Hall is now.
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Correct -The ticket windows & gates fronted High Street at the corner of Patterson.
  • D_Day said:

Correct -The ticket windows & gates fronted High Street at the corner of Patterson.

I loved going to games at Old Miami Field. Students sitting on the roof of Reid Hall, students leaning out the windows. Man, that place was so much fun.
    FormerTownie: Yes, your info on the attendance and stadium capacities is all correct...thanks! The 30K capacity provision was the reason MAC schools like Miami crammed extra bleachers into the corners of Yager for a few years to get to the 30K capacity (on paper).

Later the NCAA tweaked the guidelines to the current 15K attendance requirement so all those temp bleachers came out. Stadium capacity is now irrelevant plus no one seems to be enforcing the 15K requirement anyway.
    My favorite game of all time at Miami Field was the win against Kent State in 1974. Kent and Miami were vying for the league title and Kent drove the field scored at TD (by Larry Poole as I recall) with about a minute to play.

Miami did a flea flicker kind of play and got in FG position. Dave Draught (sp?) our FG kicker, had an inconsistent year but banged a 39 yarder through to maintain our undefeated record and propel us to another Tangerine Bowl where we handled Georgia pretty easily.

Anyway, the place was packed and we rushed the field after the game...it was crazy. I am sure some of the posters here were at that game...it was my freshman year at Miami.
    edited December 2018
    Cincykid3 said:

My favorite game of all time at Miami Field was the win against Kent State in 1974. Kent and Miami were vying for the league title and Kent drove the field scored at TD (by Larry Poole as I recall) with about a minute to play.

Miami did a flea flicker kind of play and got in FG position. Dave Draught (sp?) our FG kicker, had an inconsistent year but banged a 39 yarder through to maintain our undefeated record and propel us to another Tangerine Bowl where we handled Georgia pretty easily.

Anyway, the place was packed and we rushed the field after the game...it was crazy. I am sure some of the posters here were at that game...it was my freshman year at Miami.

I was there, too. Awesome game.

I also remember a game with Western when we fell way behind prior to halftime. I recall a huge rainstorm hit and soaked everyone. A lot of people left and some changed into dry clothes - including me - and returned for the third quarter. Miami mounted a furious comeback and won it late in the fourth quarter. I watched it with a prof on the home side. We had a great time helping that comeback!