Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Too early for bowl projection thread?

Comments

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

yanksalex said:

Nescacdad said:

Today, Brett Murphy’s well researched site has us in Boise vs Wyoming. I noticed BYU - an Independent - has already accepted a bid to play Hawaii in Honolulu. I would have taken that, too. I’m wondering what the earliest date is that we could know where we’re going. I see the earliest point being this Friday afternoon and the latest being Sunday, December 8. The December 8 date is less than two weeks before the first three MAC Bowl games so I’m guessing we will know sometime before the MACC. Any other clues?

I think the MACC actually hamstrings us a bit because the champion is usually tied to a certain game or there is at least a game that gets first pick (Mobile?).

I also think in 2016 we found out on championship Saturday night that we were heading to St. Pete.
    This is true.... it’s also the night I got engaged to my wife.

About 15 minutes after I proposed, the game was announced and Alex and I were on the phone discussing flight plans. #priorities
    I love this. But more importantly, you didn't have a fall wedding, did you?
    AO's wedding was in the middle of the summer and ended at approximately 4am with me face planted on South Street in Philly, clutching onto a cheesesteak for dear life.
    AORedHawk33FraggleHawkredhawk11dave67Re6H5wkDICK
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

yanksalex said:

Nescacdad said:

Today, Brett Murphy’s well researched site has us in Boise vs Wyoming. I noticed BYU - an Independent - has already accepted a bid to play Hawaii in Honolulu. I would have taken that, too. I’m wondering what the earliest date is that we could know where we’re going. I see the earliest point being this Friday afternoon and the latest being Sunday, December 8. The December 8 date is less than two weeks before the first three MAC Bowl games so I’m guessing we will know sometime before the MACC. Any other clues?

I think the MACC actually hamstrings us a bit because the champion is usually tied to a certain game or there is at least a game that gets first pick (Mobile?).

I also think in 2016 we found out on championship Saturday night that we were heading to St. Pete.

About 15 minutes after I proposed, the game was announced and Alex and I were on the phone discussing flight plans. #priorities
    AO's wedding was in the middle of the summer and ended at approximately 4am with me face planted on South Street in Philly, clutching onto a cheesesteak for dear life.
    For the record, this is no exaggeration
    dave67
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Nescacdad said:

Right.But that game wasn’t until the day after Christmas..

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

yanksalex said:

Nescacdad said:

As it should be.
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite
    edited November 2019
    How does WMU loss shake up the bowl projections?
    Too early to tell about WMU. If Central beats Toledo, Western will be just another 7-5 team in the mix. If Toledo wins WMU will be - at worst - the conference runner-up and would presumably be a higher value bowl selection target.
    Footbalhead
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite
    Latest bowl projection by Sports Illustrated has us in the Quick Lane Bowl vs Michigan State....
    JHVMUFBAlumJCook32MHT_Meme_Team

Latest bowl projection by Sports Illustrated has us in the Quick Lane Bowl vs Michigan State....

Im all in on playing name brand, big conference opponents (like Miss St). So I’m very into this.
    FootbalheadmuhawkSpanks004Redhawks16cwRedhawksJHVMUFBAlumJCook32redhawk11MHT_Meme_TeamChiefPanic
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Not sunny enough. Try again.
    Not excited at all about doing back-to-backs in Detroit.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Doubt the players would be excited, either.
    I am still guessing Mobile Bowl if we win MACC, and Camellia if we lose.
    Spanks004
    Cincykid3 said:

As a general principle, maybe. But if we don’t get up for a B10 opponent in a bowl game, that would be very sad.
    thechuck_2112redhawk11
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Cincykid3 said:

As a general principle, maybe. But if we don’t get up for a B10 opponent in a bowl game, that would be very sad.
    True. I feel like players want a big time opponent
    Better chance of beating Michigan State than either of the Sun Belt two but it’s basically a home game for MSU. And Miami alumni and fans from outside the area probably won’t flock to Detroit for a Christmas week game. I’m hoping for Mobile, Montgomery, Annapolis, Boca, Frisco or Boise in that order.
    Need sunshine.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Stewart Mandel from The Athletic has us in Armed Forces Bowl vs SD State.

This feels like best case scenario for a few reasons:
    -Not a P5 team, but not Sun Belt either
    -Fort Worth, Texas- amazing city
    - Game in January 4th gives us a lot of extra practice time
    Love_and_Honor
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Im all in on playing name brand, big conference opponents (like Miss St). So I’m very into this.
    Another opportunity to "pay back" Tread....whatever his name is.
    yanksalex
    I guess with all the years of Miami relative futility I am not up to snuff on college football like I used to be...I didn’t even know SD State was a FBS team.
    Quinoaburger
  • Cincykid3 said:

I guess with all the years of Miami relative futility I am not up to snuff on college football like I used to be...I didn’t even know SD State was a FBS team.

I just looked and they've been D1/FBS since 1969...
    redhawk11ChiefPanic

Cincykid3 said:

Nice.
    redhawk11QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33JCook32
  • Cincykid3 said:

To be clear they're talking about San Diego State, not South Dakota State.
    skinsNescacdad
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

Cincykid3 said:

The Rock fought their mascot during a brawl in the early 90s.

Why hasn’t that been included in any “College Football 150” special?
  • Cincykid3 said:

Ohio University last won the MAC before San Diego State was 1-A.
    QuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorAORedHawk33redhawk11DICK
    Not sure how it happened but OU shut out the Aztecs 27-0 in last year’s bowl game.
    Maybe a good performance in Detroit will lift my gloom, but after watching the last two games my enthusiasm for our bowl game has been greatly diluted....now it’s more about finding an easy opponent we can hang with....
    I thought they were referring to South Dakota. Yeah, San Diego State.
    edited November 2019
    The best fit for us is Florida International from CUSA. They’re the lowest ranked non-MAC bowl-eligible tesm. More importantly, they’re only averaging 23 points per game - 83rd in the nation. Since they upset the other Miami last week, it would create an interesting story line. Probably would have to catch them in the Boca Bowl, which I think is in their own stadium..
    Yes, we could use an opponent with an underwhelming offense (like ours).
    Nescacdad
    But, don't we seem to play to the level of the competition, e.g. last two weeks. Need to play a higher opponent than a lower one.