Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The Defense is Offensive

Through 8 D1 games, Miami’s defense is ranked 289th nationally, according to KenPom.com.

This defense, as currently ranked, is easily the worst ever for a Miami basketball team, at least in my 36 years alive. If any older fans can remember a more dreadful team, please let me know.

Completely unacceptable. Will it get better?

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Get behind me, Satan. Today, we are MAC champs.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Welcome to the board Dandy Randy! But dude chill!! You are bringing major clouds to our sunny happy day!!
    agc
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    There was a bball game?
    skins said:

There was a bball game?

I know. Seems no one told our players, either.
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Update: after today’s “effort” against MVSU, Miami’s team defense ranks 306th nationally per KenPom.com. That’s likely the worst it’s ever been, definitely in my memory (1993-present). Yay!!
    MowchagcFraggleHawk
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    Randy said:

Update: after today’s “effort” against MVSU, Miami’s team defense ranks 306th nationally per KenPom.com. That’s likely the worst it’s ever been, definitely in my memory (1993-present). Yay!!

True
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Our inside defense is not good.  Inside players either need to be shot blockers on take charges.  Other than Ayah, we do neither.
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Update: After the better effort against Bradley, Miami is up to 259th nationally. Their game against Wilberforce will not count at KenPom because it’s not a D1 game.
    edited December 2019
    259.... watch out Youngstown State/IUPUI, we're coming for you!

btw:  I think we are 208 in KenPom, maybe we can be as good as Limpscomb some day.
    ;)
    grumpy1
    Randy said:

Update: After the better effort against Bradley, Miami is up to 259th nationally. Their game against Wilberforce will not count at KenPom because it’s not a D1 game.

Yeah, but our FT defense is in the top 10 nationally! Our opponents are only shooting 61.8% from the line.
    skin66
  • Re6H5wk said:

Randy said:

Yeah, but our FT defense is in the top 10 nationally! Our opponents are only shooting 61.8% from the line.
    So what you're saying is that the curtain works?
    Bash_RiprockskinsLove_and_HonorRe6H5wk
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Maybe NAIA D2 Wilberforce wasn’t such a good MAC warmup. Miami gives up 93 to CMU and their defense ranks 294th nationally, the worst it’s ever been in my lifetime.
    Randy said:

Maybe NAIA D2 Wilberforce wasn’t such a good MAC warmup. Miami gives up 93 to CMU and their defense ranks 294th nationally, the worst it’s ever been in my lifetime.

I remember when giving up 70 was a lot for us. With our style of play, we're going to give up more points than we did playing "Charlie Ball," and I'm ok with that. But this level of poor defense is unacceptable.
    Mowch
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Your post brings up an important point of clarification—the defensive ratings on KenPom.com are per 100 possessions, which normalizes pace across all teams.

There are good defenses that give up more points per game due simply to playing faster. Miami is not one of those defenses. They’re just bad.
    agcRe6H5wkBash_Riprock
    edited January 2020
    It's a shame our D is so bad, because we actually do several things well. We take care of the ball, with only 12 TOs per game. Our 76 ppg is well within the top 100 in D1. We are 24th in the country in FT shooting (76.6%), and we're actually slightly above average in 3-point shooting (34.0%).
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    edited January 2020
    Sooooooo, someone on the board of trustees just said "who's Jack Owens" at a Mobile restaurant. Yanksalex can confirm.
    Re6H5wkBash_RiprockMowchAORedHawk33redhawk11

Sooooooo, someone on the board of trustees just said "who's Jack Owens" at a restaurant. Yanksalex can confirm.

This upsets me.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum

Sooooooo, someone on the board of trustees just said "who's Jack Owens" at a restaurant. Yanksalex can confirm.

Classic
    Mowch
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    It happened. It wasn’t great.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Sooooooo, someone on the board of trustees just said "who's Jack Owens" at a Mobile restaurant. Yanksalex can confirm.

Sounds like a Board member really engaged in discharging his duties....probably never been to Millett.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

Oh my god
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

What was your response?

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

Not sure if  I'm more shocked at that person's ignorance, or that people on this board are really surprised about it......
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

Not sure if  I'm more shocked at that person's ignorance, or that people on this board are really surprised about it......
    I understand there are Board members who want nothing to do with athletics and do not understand the value that it adds to a school.

The shocking part to me is that this particular board member is in Mobile supporting the football program, yet doesn’t know the leader of the next most important collegiate sport at Miami.
    redhawk11
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    I apparently missed witnessing that comment by about 2 minutes. That is probably for the better.

MUHawk84 said:

I understand there are Board members who want nothing to do with athletics and do not understand the value that it adds to a school.

The shocking part to me is that this particular board member is in Mobile supporting the football program, yet doesn’t know the leader of the next most important collegiate sport at Miami.
    To be fair, I never asked if he knew the Synchro coach’s name.
    muhawkRenmancoskin66Love_and_Honor
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    Update! 

Miami is 7-9, 0-3 in the MAC. Defensively, they are ranked 293rd nationally by KenPom. It remains the worst defense of my lifetime. Bradley (without their best player) is looking more and more like an anomaly. 
    agc
    edited January 2020
    Sweet!...wonder what the worst start in bball conference play is in the recent history?

Next up Kent, Ball State, Akron?

Ouch..that's a tough stretch.
    Randy said:

Update! 

Miami is 7-9, 0-3 in the MAC. Defensively, they are ranked 293rd nationally by KenPom. It remains the worst defense of my lifetime. Bradley (without their best player) is looking more and more like an anomaly. 
    Yikes. I think it generally understood and appreciated the defensive schemes in the college game are generally more complex and take a longer time to pick up on than offensive schemes for the average player. That said, we're starting 2 juniors, 1 senior, and giving major run off the bench to another junior (all of whom are in their third year with Jack). There really is no excuse for giving up 80 like it's going out of style.
    Bash_Riprock
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I noticed a lot of standing around on defense last night, particularly in the second half when guys were getting tired. Gave up a lot of easy buckets to UB with lax defense.