Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami vs. Louisiana Game Thread

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I thought Vaas went to USF for more money.
    I don't remember him getting fired, looking for a job, then finding a job. I remember him leaving Miami to go to USF.
    I could be wrong.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Uh oh. Why do we think he was fired. I think he got promoted to USF in 2010
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    According to this article, "Vaas joins USF from Miami of Ohio." Said nothing about him being fired. Doesn't mean he wasn't; just sharing what I could find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wftv.com/news/usf-unveils-football-coaching-staff/286666977/?outputType=amp
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    It is the same Vaas. He is also followed on Twitter by Miami Equipment. He was replaced at Miami by Morris Watts at OC when Haywood took over. This is simply unacceptable.
    Bluesman said:

It is the same Vaas. He is also followed on Twitter by Miami Equipment. He was replaced at Miami by Morris Watts at OC when Haywood took over. This is simply unacceptable.

But was he fired, or did he leave on his own?
  • Re6H5wk said:

Bluesman said:

But was he fired, or did he leave on his own?
    They cut Vaas, took out his stream of ideas

(I’m running with The Sackman’s joke, from the previous page, here)
    The_Sackman
  • Bluesman said:

Vaas was on Haywood’s original staff.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    Brown on fire
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    Sibande infiltrating, Bam playing with Brown inside. This is looking good
    redhawk11
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

This is false.

• agcagc Senior Barfly
    Damn, posting of the wrong thread ... Sorry all, don't know how to delete those
    Re6H5wk
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

Also this is a total aside, but can we stop playing bowl games in such shit holes? Ladd-Peebles is on the verge of literally being condemned and the Trop is the worst venue in all of American professional sports. Those have been the venues for 80% of our bowl games in the last 2 decades.

Yanks, you didn’t like the funnel cakes? Someone from Mobile wanted us not to eat them unless, in his words, ‘you want the ability to shit through a screen door and not make it wet’.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

yanksalex said:

Also this is a total aside, but can we stop playing bowl games in such shit holes? Ladd-Peebles is on the verge of literally being condemned and the Trop is the worst venue in all of American professional sports. Those have been the venues for 80% of our bowl games in the last 2 decades.

Yanks, you didn’t like the funnel cakes? Someone from Mobile wanted us not to eat them unless, in his words, ‘you want the ability to shit through a screen door and not make it wet’.
    I'm really just talking about the stadiums. Downtown St. Pete was cool (as was the beach area) and Mobile is...fine (I think I'd really like it if I have explored more than Dauphin Street). But the Trop and Ladd-Peebles are, objectively, vile places.
  • cajunmancajunman Summer Orientee
    This pic says it all

bpatRedsea
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Peter vass not our friend in that game....blame Brad Bates. If the guy wasn't underpaid at Miami, he might not have left for "greener" pastures.
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockRe6H5wk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 2020
    cajunman said:

This pic says it all

You are right. The ball is clearly in Besters arms as he is a mere centimeter away from his shoulder hitting the ground.

Bash_Riprockmuhawkagcskin66
  • ZoomZoomZoomZoom Summer Orientee
    cajunman said:

This pic says it all

You are right. The ball is clearly in Besters arms as he is a mere centimeter away from his shoulder hitting the ground.

Bester's left hand is on the Cajun player's left arm.  Bester's right arm is hidden against his body.  Ball is out against his belly.  Which is why the ball flew out, his momentum tossed it.  Cajun's DB (16) hit the ball loose with his helment initially.  You can confirm the right arm by viewing the replay from the sideline, Bester's right arm was away from his body as he rotated and was yet to hit the ground.  I originally thought Miami got hosed, but I was wrong.

Bester, to his credit, was the only player on the field that knew it was a fumble.  Bester was the only one that went after the ball once he hit the ground because he knew the ball was out.  Ball just happened to land in front of a Cajun player who did what he was taught to do...fall on the ball.

You guys had a good run.  The future looks bright for Miami, your freshman QB is a stud.  One play does not determine a game, otherwise, why play the other 59+ minutes.  I think some of the posters have noted other issues in the game, but is not my purpose of posting.  I'll be pulling for you next year.

Good luck next season.

grumpy1
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    I thought during live action that the ball was out and this still shot seems to confirm it. My problem is that he was called down by contact and none of the replay angles provided enough evidence to overturn that call.
    dave67redhawk11agcRe6H5wkLove_and_Honor
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

I thought during live action that the ball was out and this still shot seems to confirm it. My problem is that he was called down by contact and none of the replay angles provided enough evidence to overturn that call.

This is the correct analysis.
    grumpy1Re6H5wk
  • What grumpy said
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Three comments
    1) players always go for the ball that comes out whether they are down by contact or not
    2) The review took over 3 minutes- how is that clear
    3) we know the ball came out at some point because the ULL guy ended up with it- so a still photo with no other context doesnt really prove anything

It isnt why we lost. Our own coach didnt think we were as good as ULL that is why he ran out the clock to end the first half. But it didnt help
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33FraggleHawk
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    agc said:

Damn, posting of the wrong thread ... Sorry all, don't know how to delete those

You can’t delete. On this board, you’re condemned to live with your transgressions for eternity.
    agcRe6H5wk
    JohnnyMac said:

grumpy1 said:

Any which way, a very entertaining game.  And our coach told Mississippi State and their job offer thanks, but no thanks, and stuck to his word.  Starkvegas, where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous.

Sorry Grumpy, didn't mean to put words in your mouth.  ZZ
    grumpy1
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

yanksalex said:

I'm really just talking about the stadiums. Downtown St. Pete was cool (as was the beach area) and Mobile is...fine (I think I'd really like it if I have explored more than Dauphin Street). But the Trop and Ladd-Peebles are, objectively, vile places.

I agree, stadium aside, Mobile was fantastic. The locals were very supportive and friendly. The city was easy to get around and Mobile has things to do to keep you busy during the day. We enjoyed Dauphin Island about 30 minutes away on the gulf.

Most of the Louisiana fans were fun other than the handful rifling beads and balls at Miami fans from the float. They knocked a drink out of my friends hand with a Mini football laser strike to his hand.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    From a fan perspective, who cares about the age or condition of a stadium, only care that it is somewhere warm when Oxford has frozen over.  Sunshine baby!  B)
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    JDAD78 said:

Did Chuck snap the ball? I understand wanting to blame him for everything but come on. He had them ready and they played their asses off.

And if he would have kicked a FG from the one? Chaos on this board. Absolutely the right call.

The play call sequence was horrible given how they had run the ball earlier. When you were left with a half yard, kick the FG because miraculously he hadn’t pissed away any of his TO’s like he usually does. But if you are going to go for it from inside the one, get under fucking center!
    The video replays were horrible but I’m with JonnyMac. He’s won one significant game in 6 years.
    He won two huge games this year, at Ohio and the MACC vs Central.
    Re6H5wk
    edited January 2020
    DICK said:

JDAD78 said:

Did Chuck snap the ball? I understand wanting to blame him for everything but come on. He had them ready and they played their asses off.

And if he would have kicked a FG from the one? Chaos on this board. Absolutely the right call.

The play call sequence was horrible given how they had run the ball earlier. When you were left with a half yard, kick the FG because miraculously he hadn’t pissed away any of his TO’s like he usually does. But if you are going to go for it from inside the one, get under fucking center!
    The video replays were horrible but I’m with JonnyMac. He’s won one significant game in 6 years.
    And we stopped a big losing streak against OU last year. Ugh, now I'm defending Chuck.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

JDAD78 said:

And we stopped a big losing streak against OU last year. Ugh, now I'm defending Chuck.
    And there is nothing wrong with that. He’s a way better coach now than he was two years ago.
    Re6H5wk