Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2020

1234568

Comments

  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    EDDIE said:

    Pretty happy with the pick. Freakish numbers. I thought Dobbins would be the pick. Steelers will now see Dobbins at least twice every year. Not good.

    The Ravens appear to be really having a nice draft... not good indeed.

    I like it. Juju is not a #1 imo, so they needed another WR to help carry the load. He fits nicely with juju and Johnson who had a promising rookie season.

    Pretty sure Juju won’t sign long term after this year. I was kind of hoping those rumors of trading him to get into the first round were true.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited April 25
    Reading the screaming on Twitter, I must be the only Steelers fan who likes the Chase Claypool pick. I was never a big Dobbins fan as he isn't much of a recieving threat. Of the RB left, I liked Akers better. At WR, to me, it was between Mims and Claypool. The reason I don't mind Claypool is he serves almost 2 positions, WR speed with near TE size. So can fill 2 holes. I am less happy about the 3rd round pick, but we will see, as the Steelers have done well with these undersized DE, convert to LB hybrids. Ravens are having a great draft. Bengals and Browns, nothing that worries me beyond Burrow I suppose. Steelers only have 6 picks, their lowest since 2003. But everyone needs to remember when grading the Steelers draft, the first round pick in this draft was Minkah Fitzpatrick. So our draft so far is Fitzpatrick, Claypool, Highsmith. 
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Fournette may be an interesting pickup if the price is right (5th-round pick) and they can finagle a way to eat the $4 million cap hit. Might only be for one year though. Worth it if it leads to a SB win.

    Re Dobbins, he was a very good receiver out of the backfield (20+ receptions) per year. But the OSU scheme has such great receivers, they didn't need to throw much to him.

    And yea, Ravens having great draft. Players just seem to fall in their laps.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

    Fournette may be an interesting pickup if the price is right (5th-round pick) and they can finagle a way to eat the $4 million cap hit. Might only be for one year though. Worth it if it leads to a SB win.

    Re Dobbins, he was a very good receiver out of the backfield (20+ receptions) per year. But the OSU scheme has such great receivers, they didn't need to throw much to him.

    And yea, Ravens having great draft. Players just seem to fall in their laps.
    The Ravens always draft well.

    I did my research but I could not tell if John Harbaugh had a Little John Harbaugh statue in his office.
    DICK
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Steelers add RB Anthony Mcfarland Jr. out of Maryland. 4.4 speed guy who could compliment Conner. I'm good with it.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Check out his first two runs. Nice hole, but heck of a run(s). Ran for about 290 vs. OSU that day.

  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:
    Thanks for posting that.
    EDDIE
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    11-5 (10-6 with Indy loss)

    Sept. 14: at NY Giants, Win

    Sept: 20: vs. Denver, Win

    Sept. 27: vs. Houston, Win

    Oct. 4: at Tennessee, Loss

    Oct. 11: vs. Philadelphia, Win

    Oct. 18: vs. Cleveland, Win

    Oct. 25: vs. Baltimore, Loss

    Nov. 1: Bye

    Nov. 8: at Dallas, Loss

    Nov. 15: vs. Cincinnati, Win

    Nov. 22: at Jacksonville, Win

    Nov. 26: vs. Baltimore, Loss

    Dec. 6: vs. Washington, Win

    Dec. 13: at Buffalo, Loss

    Dec. 21: at Cincinnati, Win

    Dec. 27: vs. Indianapolis, Win

    Jan. 3: at Cleveland, Win
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    We lose to Dallas? I’ll wait til after camp to make any predictions...
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I think Conner is "back."  Keep him at 15 carries per game and 1,100-1,200 rushing yards is very possible.

    image
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

    I think Conner is "back."  Keep him at 15 carries per game and 1,100-1,200 rushing yards is very possible.

    image
    A guy who has never played a full season is going to average 5 yards per carry for 16 games?
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    4.59 yards per carry (1100)...or more.  Very possible (and yes...optimistic).
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited June 7
    I will put this here because we have talked about Kapernick quite a bit in this thread....The NFL has done a 180 on protest about police brutality and the lack of "liberty and justice for all".  NFL is now encouraging protest.  I wonder if this includes dropping the informal "blackball" of Kapernick.  Among others, both the Steelers and Bengals could use a good veteran backup QB.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    For better or worse, Kaepernick has probably been away from the game long enough that his time has passed. It was one thing when he was being blackballed in 2017 or 2018. It’s another when he’s been away for four years.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Thanks Dad!

    James Connor gives his Dad a truck!

    thechuck_2112DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

    For better or worse, Kaepernick has probably been away from the game long enough that his time has passed. It was one thing when he was being blackballed in 2017 or 2018. It’s another when he’s been away for four years.

    Yet he received high praise for his performance in workouts last year, and his age says he should still be effective.  I do not agree with your evaluation.  He did receive a settlement from a lawsuit against the NFL last year.  The amount or terms were never made public, but the NFL did set up the public workouts last year.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

    I will put this here because we have talked about Kapernick quite a bit in this thread....The NFL has done a 180 on protest about police brutality and the lack of "liberty and justice for all".  NFL is now encouraging protest.  I wonder if this includes dropping the informal "blackball" of Kapernick.  Among others, both the Steelers and Bengals could use a good veteran backup QB.

    Why would any team take Kapernick when Cam Newton is available. Steelers don’t need that kind of drama coming off AB
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Muhammed Ali announced he was not going to Vietnam.  He willingly went to jail for refusing to go kill people " I have no fight with".  It was a truly stupid war.  John Carlos and Tommie Smith had their Olympic medals stripped from them.  Martin Luthur King was absolutely hated by many, and eventually murdered.  There were people spewing hate at all of them at the time.  Yet those men all ended up on the right side of history. People who opposed them then just look backwards and stupid now.  

    Kapernick said quite clearly he was protesting the treatment of black people by police.   He stuck to his principles and his job was taken from him.  He invested over a million of his own money in inner city programs in the first year after his protest.  He was right at the time, and he invested his own time and money to try to help.  Those of you rigidly opposing him are going to end up on the wrong side of history too.  Just like the others, he deserves better.
    gentbaseball12grumpy1
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

    DICK said:

    I will put this here because we have talked about Kapernick quite a bit in this thread....The NFL has done a 180 on protest about police brutality and the lack of "liberty and justice for all".  NFL is now encouraging protest.  I wonder if this includes dropping the informal "blackball" of Kapernick.  Among others, both the Steelers and Bengals could use a good veteran backup QB.

    Why would any team take Kapernick when Cam Newton is available. Steelers don’t need that kind of drama coming off AB
    I am certainly not opposed to picking up Cam Newton, he would surely be far better than the backups of the last two seasons.  I just keep thinking how close we were to making the playoffs both years, and a backup QB of that level would have made the difference.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited June 8
    I respect your opinion Dick, but when Kaep wore socks with pigs dressed as police officers (multiple times in off-season), he lost my respect. And not that it makes a difference (maybe it does), we have a police officer in the family (He's a good one!). Yes, I was offended.

    Anyhow, regarding backups, for some silly reason, I believe the Steelers still think Rudolph can be a good short-term starter if Ben misses a game or two. Long-term? Probably not.
    FraggleHawkaba222
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

    MUHawk84 said:

    DICK said:

    I will put this here because we have talked about Kapernick quite a bit in this thread....The NFL has done a 180 on protest about police brutality and the lack of "liberty and justice for all".  NFL is now encouraging protest.  I wonder if this includes dropping the informal "blackball" of Kapernick.  Among others, both the Steelers and Bengals could use a good veteran backup QB.

    Why would any team take Kapernick when Cam Newton is available. Steelers don’t need that kind of drama coming off AB
    I am certainly not opposed to picking up Cam Newton, he would surely be far better than the backups of the last two seasons.  I just keep thinking how close we were to making the playoffs both years, and a backup QB of that level would have made the difference.
    If they had Kaep last year, Steelers make the playoffs without a doubt. The pu-pu plater of Rudolph and Duck cost them big time.
    DICK
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

    I respect your opinion Dick, but when Kap wore socks with pigs dressed as police officers (multiple times in off-season), he lost my respect. And not that it makes a difference (maybe it does), we have a police officer in the family (He's a good one!). Yes, I was offended.

    Anyhow, regarding backups, for some silly reason, I believe the Steelers still think Rudolph can be a good short-term starter if Ben misses a game or two. Long-term? Probably not.


    Well, certainly the actions of many officers has made the wearing of such socks seem a bit more on point, eh? 

    As for backups, Rudolph is basically Landry Jones Lite.  Maybe he can be more, but the Steelers will need to luck into another 1st round QB in the next couple of years.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    No.

    And yea, Rudolph is indeed a Landry Jones Lite. In a perfect world, there would be a little more cap space. If Ben can stay healthy, of course, we won't have to worry.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    People do remember that Kapernick got beat by Blaine Gabbert BEFORE he kneeled, right?
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    MUHawk84 said:

    People do remember that Kapernick got beat by Blaine Gabbert BEFORE he kneeled, right?

    Jim Tomsula was a shit head coach. I’m going to put that one more on his stunning incompetence as a head coach. And the 49ers OC (someone named Geep Chryst) was so terrible he was also fired after 1 year (like Tomsula) and he’s been out of the NFL since 2018.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

    MUHawk84 said:

    People do remember that Kapernick got beat by Blaine Gabbert BEFORE he kneeled, right?

    Jim Tomsula was a shit head coach. I’m going to put that one more on his stunning incompetence as a head coach. And the 49ers OC (someone named Geep Chryst) was so terrible he was also fired after 1 year (like Tomsula) and he’s been out of the NFL since 2018.
    Also, he was benched after he spent a month playing with a torn labrum that wasn’t diagnosed until the 49ers team doctor finally gave him a MRI...after he’d already been benched.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

    MUHawk84 said:

    People do remember that Kapernick got beat by Blaine Gabbert BEFORE he kneeled, right?

    Jim Tomsula was a shit head coach. I’m going to put that one more on his stunning incompetence as a head coach. And the 49ers OC (someone named Geep Chryst) was so terrible he was also fired after 1 year (like Tomsula) and he’s been out of the NFL since 2018.
    Please ban this user 4 life for his rampant Tomsula slander. No one farted in a press conference better.
    gentbaseball12grumpy1DICK
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

    No.


    /shrugs
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Interesting tidbit about Hall-Of-Famer John Stallworth:

    Chuck Noll wanted to select John Stallworth in the first round of the 1974 NFL Draft.

    Art Rooney Jr., the team’s chief scout and second-eldest son of Pittsburgh Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr., convinced Noll that Stallworth would be available in the fourth round. But Rooney added this warning to director of player personnel Dick Haley: “If he’s not there, we’re going to hear some screaming,” Rooney related in his book, “Ruanaidh.”

    Noll was fearful Stallworth’s appearance in the Senior Bowl would alert other teams, but the Steelers got lucky when coaches there moved him from wide receiver to cornerback, raising questions about his potential as a pass catcher.

    Scout Bill Nunn also conveniently forgot to return Stallworth’s best game tape to his school, Alabama A&M — allowing the Steelers to draft Stallworth in the fourth round, the 82nd player overall.


    Professor_Fate
Sign In or Register to comment.