Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

When is FB back on campus?

DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
edited July 1 in Football
When are football players going to start reporting back to campus? 

Have great nephew at UC and they're headed back---https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2020/06/08/university-cincinnati-football-players-start-heading-campus/5319961002/ ---

and his younger brother is at OU and they're coming back somewhere around 23rd I was told.

Comments

• Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    I was under the impression the MAC had to approve a date for all schools. Since some states are still “closed” would be unfair to say have Ohio schools let players start working out while schools in Michigan could not. Again this just based on the fact other conferences have told their members when players could come back.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    OSU has given the date of July 13 where they are starting team practices.  I think the NCAA has given that as the date for start of practice for all D-1 teams.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    UCLA players are asking for an independent third-party monitor for football activities because the team doesn't trust Chip Kelly to follow COVID protocols.

Quinoaburger
    Kansas State announces 14 football players have tested positive. Workouts are suspended.

LSU announces 30 football players are quarantined, some positive, others known to have had contact with positives, after multiple players contracted the disease at a Baton Rouge nightclub.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Kansas State announces 14 football players have tested positive. Workouts are suspended.

LSU announces 30 football players are quarantined, some positive, others known to have had contact with positives, after multiple players contracted the disease at a Baton Rouge nightclub.

Geaux tig-uhs.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Geaux tig-uhs.
    This conduct is going to be problematical for actually having college football this fall.  Young men by nature are aggressive and often have some feeling of invincibility.  Keeping them locked down from now through Thanksgiving is probably not going to work.
    DICK said:

Geaux tig-uhs.
    This conduct is going to be problematical for actually having college football this fall.  Young men by nature are aggressive and often have some feeling of invincibility.  Keeping them locked down from now through Thanksgiving is probably not going to work.
    There are apparently over 100 cases traced to the student bars in Baton Rouge in the pay few weeks. I will see if I can find a link.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Odds a football season happens in 2020?
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    How many deaths of college players will people accept before deciding it’s no longer viable to continue?
    grumpy1 said:

How many deaths of college players will people accept before deciding it’s no longer viable to continue?

bpatredhawk11JiveHawkthechuck_2112ChiefPanic
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    edited June 20
    grumpy1 said:

If there are any deaths it would be shocking in looking at the demographic data in the USA thus far. 

Latest data from CDC that I saw showed less than 150 deaths for those under age 25 due to Covid-19 since Feb 1. This age group had 20,000 deaths during the same time period for other causes. 

For additional perspective, an average of 2 NCAA( all divisions)  players die playing football each season.

For whatever the reason, the younger you are the more likely you will be asymptomatic which also seems to translate to low viral loads. In fact, I think 21 of the 23 confirmed cases with Clemson football team were asymptomatic cases.

It actually is probably positive for the season that teams may be getting the virus now. If this happens during the season it will be much more disruptive. Should coaches prepare the 5th string QB if all the other players in the QB position room test positive?

RedseaAORedHawk33MacCrackenDSnyder15
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    If a person is asymptotic they are still infected and capable of shedding the virus, maybe not at the rate of those that are visibly sick, but still spreaders. How is that supposed to make us feel better?
    DICK
    grumpy1 said:

If a person is asymptotic they are still infected and capable of shedding the virus, maybe not at the rate of those that are visibly sick, but still spreaders. How is that supposed to make us feel better?

There is still more to know but more evidence is starting to show that those that are asymptomatic do not spread the virus very well due to those low viral loads, Very few cases have been contacted traced to asymptomatic transmission.
    Presymptomatic is a different story as are those that are exhibiting symptoms. In fact, one study indicated that those that are presymptomatic may be most contagious in the day before symptoms present as viral loads highest then before body has had a chance to start fighting the virus off.
    DSnyder15
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited June 21
    I see no way, without a vaccine, that what we see happening at Texas, Alabama, LSU etc isn't going to happen at every other school that brings players back. Bottom line is, as with most things, bringing back football is being driven by, well, the bottom line. If there was ever evidence that college athletics is about money and not "amateur status" it is bringing back players to play contact sports. That would include basketball, wrestling, soccer, etc. If the NCAA were placing student athlete health at the forefront, these sports would not be brought back yet. I am not trying to be critical, but rather give an honest assessment.

I am on the re-opening committee of three different institutions in St. Louis, and these are the types of questions we are addressing and have been for weeks. How do you move back to normalcy?

Personally, I can't wait to see college football again. But many factors to be considered. 
    Renmancogrumpy1DICK
    Nice article in The Athletic about us!
    redhawk11QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    This is tough call for administrator, campus health care professionals and coaches. 

We all want football, as well as other sports and classes back. The big question is at what cost?

But if you're the first administrator, campus health care professional or coach that was the first school and first team that had the first young athlete to die from Covid 19 how the hell do you ever get over that?
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

grumpy1 said:

If there are any deaths it would be shocking in looking at the demographic data in the USA thus far. 

Latest data from CDC that I saw showed less than 150 deaths for those under age 25 due to Covid-19 since Feb 1. This age group had 20,000 deaths during the same time period for other causes. 

For additional perspective, an average of 2 NCAA( all divisions)  players die playing football each season.

For whatever the reason, the younger you are the more likely you will be asymptomatic which also seems to translate to low viral loads. In fact, I think 21 of the 23 confirmed cases with Clemson football team were asymptomatic cases.

It actually is probably positive for the season that teams may be getting the virus now. If this happens during the season it will be much more disruptive. Should coaches prepare the 5th string QB if all the other players in the QB position room test positive?

I don’t trust anyone in charge of these programs to consider athlete safety first — they are all self interested and care only to the extent it impacts winning and losing. Just ask Jordan McNair’s family at Maryland — Durkin is already back coaching in college.

The real issue will be support staff — the coaches, trainers, and other staff don’t neatly fall into the healthy young adult category and many would be in certain at risk categories. When it starts killing coaches and administrators around the program will they care? Or how about athletic trainers? I imagine this will be one giant disaster this fall.

AORedHawk33Nescacdad
  • 96Skins96Skins Dodds God
    In the conspiratorial vein, I figured there may be programs who are so concerned about winning that they would look the other way when their players may be dangerously exposing themselves to the virus early on during pre-season to ensure it doesn’t run through the team or say the QB room during the season, causing them to lose or forfeit. Get it over with now - kind of like the chicken pox parties people used to have for their kids.
    I think there is more to it than the bottom line. A lot of it is the simple desire to get back to normalcy.

The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-19 was much more lethal to the young. The Miami Student had an article in April on what was done at that time when 7 students died from the flu. That was 1% of the student body. Today that would be equal to about 200 students. Classes were never cancelled but women were sent home for a time. 

I went back and checked to see what happened to the football season that year. It appeared that only 6 games were played out of a normal schedule of 9. Money was not a big issue then but they still played most of their games even with a flu that was much more deadly to the student athletes of the time. Don't discount a desire to return to normalcy.
    RedseaMacCrackenDSnyder15
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I see no way, without a vaccine, that what we see happening at Texas, Alabama, LSU etc isn't going to happen at every other school that brings players back. Bottom line is, as with most things, bringing back football is being driven by, well, the bottom line. If there was ever evidence that college athletics is about money and not "amateur status" it is bringing back players to play contact sports. That would include basketball, wrestling, soccer, etc. If the NCAA were placing student athlete health at the forefront, these sports would not be brought back yet. I am not trying to be critical, but rather give an honest assessment.

I am on the re-opening committee of three different institutions in St. Louis, and these are the types of questions we are addressing and have been for weeks. How do you move back to normalcy?

Personally, I can't wait to see college football again. But many factors to be considered. 
    I am not sure it is all about money because the kids in my sons high school are training for sports right now too. It is mostly lifting and running.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    laxdaddy said:

I think there is more to it than the bottom line. A lot of it is the simple desire to get back to normalcy.

The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-19 was much more lethal to the young. The Miami Student had an article in April on what was done at that time when 7 students died from the flu. That was 1% of the student body. Today that would be equal to about 200 students. Classes were never cancelled but women were sent home for a time. 

I went back and checked to see what happened to the football season that year. It appeared that only 6 games were played out of a normal schedule of 9. Money was not a big issue then but they still played most of their games even with a flu that was much more deadly to the student athletes of the time. Don't discount a desire to return to normalcy.
    I’d say normalcy and the bottom line go hand in hand. If the option was “you can play again, just to return to normal, but you won’t make a dime off it,” do you really think it would come back?

I get that the death rate is low for the young, but there are anecdotal cases of young healthy people stroking out after contacting COVID. I’ve also read about cases where people continue to have respiratory deficits long after (like a month or later) testing positive. There are so many unknowns about possible longer term effects (not to mention potential vascular issues) that the return for any contact sport this year still seems far fetched and questionably worth it.
    Renmanco
    Bowdoin College has announced it won't play any sports in the fall semester.  Obviously D-III is a different beast, but it's a data point.
    Professor_Fate
    edited June 22
    UMass-Boston (D-III) and Michigan-Dearborn (NAIA) also announce no fall semester sports.
    Professor_Fate
    Boise State closes campus and suspends athletic activities (right now it’s voluntary workouts) after eight positive tests on campus.
    Professor_Fate
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Well, at least Barstool Big Cat comes to Oxford tonight as Gus Duggerton.
    ChiefPanicThe_Sackman
    Houston suspends voluntary workouts after multiple student athlete positive tests.

Florida reports 11 positive tests among student athletes, responsive action to come.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    From Karen Rovell:

Despite concern over the numbers of student-athletes testing positive for Covid-19, sports insurance litigator Richard Giller says about 2.4% of NCAA athletes are testing positive vs. 17% of the population age 18-29 who had tested positive.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    But all athletes are being tested. The only people being tested in the 18-29 age bracket are suspected of having covid.
    DICKelpalito
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

But all athletes are being tested. The only people being tested in the 18-29 age bracket are suspected of having covid.

Anecdotal, but all of my friends and myself have been tested. Only my fiance and I had concerns of having it, everyone else is getting weekly testing and their employers and monitoring results to determine return-to-work plans.
    redhawk11dave67
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

redhawk11 said:

Anecdotal, but all of my friends and myself have been tested. Only my fiance and I had concerns of having it, everyone else is getting weekly testing and their employers and monitoring results to determine return-to-work plans.
    That's interesting. I'm the exact opposite.