Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Major League Baseball

Comments

• elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

Hal McCoy says there is a strong rumor that there are 8 team owners which do not want to play and the commissioner needs 75% of the votes to approve a settlement.  8 is enough to block any settlement.

That's more than a rumor. That has been going around for a week. I've seen it reported as fact by a few different reporters.

But, hey, it's the players' fault, right?

As seen above, some folks will always side against the labor. 
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

Hal McCoy says there is a strong rumor that there are 8 team owners which do not want to play and the commissioner needs 75% of the votes to approve a settlement.  8 is enough to block any settlement.

That's more than a rumor. That has been going around for a week. I've seen it reported as fact by a few different reporters.

There is "labor" and then there are "athletes". The major league minimum this year is $563,500. They'll be just fine...
    AORedHawk33mollautt
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    It's kind of like Charles Ponzi arguing with Bernie Madoff!
    dave67
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

elpalito said:

redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

There is "labor" and then there are "athletes". The major league minimum this year is $563,500. They'll be just fine...
    LOLZ what a garbage take. 
    JCook32mollautt
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

MUHawk84 said:

elpalito said:

redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

That’s your opinion. Forgive Americans for not caring about rich dudes not paying each other during this period...
    mollautt
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

MUHawk84 said:

elpalito said:

redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

That’s your opinion. Forgive Americans for not caring about rich dudes not paying each other during this period...
    Your previous post made it look like you care.

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

MUHawk84 said:

MUHawk84 said:

elpalito said:

redhawk11 said:

DICK said:

Your previous post made it look like you care.

It's bullshit that the employee wants to work for the agreed amount with his employer while not factoring in world hunger or feline AIDS.

Let's also hurry up and get our full playoff schedule so that the owners can rake in every cent of that network money (one billion from Turner should keep them out of the breadlines for a day or two)! But don't even THINK about playing one inning in November or off to the gallows you go.
    redhawk11DICK
  • JCook32JCook32 Dodds God
    How much money does a person need to make before they waive their right to want to continue to make that same amount of money (or more)?
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Not feeling sorry for either party here. Just don’t care anymore really what the billionaires and multi-multi millionaires do given what else is going on in the world these days. And this coming from someone who once was a huge MLB fan.
    Bonkmollauttlevel
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    1. Players vote 33-5 against 60 game season.

2. Dave Portnoy in the group with ARod to buy the Mets. No exaggeration when I say this: this is a move that could save baseball
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    edited June 22
    Nm
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    By rejecting the proposal the players are trading short term benefits for a shot at improving their long term benefits.

DICK
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>Let baseball die. It had been dying for 20 years now. It has gone from the country's #1 sport to at least 3rd with MLS possibly to pass in the next decade. If count college sports, baseball is probably 5th in interest.

Biggest problem for baseball is those that really care about the sport are retirees. The under 30 crowd has other interests.

1. Players vote 33-5 against 60 game season.

2. Dave Portnoy in the group with ARod to buy the Mets. No exaggeration when I say this: this is a move that could save baseball

Baseball needs less shitty, faux aggrieved white guys not more.
    Interesting....
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    Not a Portnoy fan, but deleted my comment. I suppose the actual interesting question is whether MLB will approve a sale of a franchise to a group led by the owner of one of the longest PED suspensions in MLB history (I think only former Met Jerry Mejia has been suspended longer than ARod and he was a multiple offender of the PED policy).
    Bonk

Not a Portnoy fan, but deleted my comment. I suppose the actual interesting question is whether MLB will approve a sale of a franchise to a group led by the owner of one of the longest PED suspensions in MLB history (I think only former Met Jerry Mejia has been suspended longer than ARod and he was a multiple offender of the PED policy).

You might not be a fan, but you can’t deny his popularity and ability to reach younger clientele. He’s exactly what baseball needs
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    mollautt said:

=>Let baseball die. It had been dying for 20 years now. It has gone from the country's #1 sport to at least 3rd with MLS possibly to pass in the next decade. If count college sports, baseball is probably 5th in interest.

Biggest problem for baseball is those that really care about the sport are retirees. The under 30 crowd has other interests.

The source for baseball as the 3rd most popular sport seems to be a Gallup poll where they ask what is your favorite sport to watch. The most recent results in 2017 were:

1. Football (37%)

2. Basketball (11%)

3. Baseball (9%)

4. Soccer (7%)

5. Ice Hockey (4%)

From there everything is 1% or 2%.

The better question for popularity imo is a different one they ask where they simply ask if you are a fan. There the most recent results from 2019 are:

1. Olympic Sports (68%)

2. Pro Football (59%)

3. Pro Baseball (54%)

4. College Football (52%)

5. Pro Basketball (44%)

6. College Basketball (43%)

7. Auto Racing (33%)

8. Pro Ice Hockey (32%)

9. Pro Golf (32%)

10. Pro Soccer (31%)

Not very many people's favorite sport is baseball but it's still very popular. Both polls are here: https://news.gallup.com/poll/4735/sports.aspx ;

Separately, I can't figure out you think what the fourth college sport by interest would be, assuming FB, MBB and WBB are the top three though I think baseball vs WBB could be argued. I like college hockey but considering there are only ~60 teams there isn't that much national interest. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I thought MLS was supposed to pass MLB 10 years ago.
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    Separately, I can't figure out you think what the fourth college sport by interest would be, assuming FB, MBB and WBB are the top three though I think baseball vs WBB could be argued. I like college hockey but considering there are only ~60 teams there isn't that much national interest.

I'd put baseball, softball, and women's volleyball ahead of hockey
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

I'd put baseball, softball, and women's volleyball ahead of hockey
    You analysis may be correct, but when discussing the overall popularity of a sport, I think it is important to recognize that some college sports are the only option for the top college-aged athletes (football, volleyball, softball) while other sports (men’s ice hockey, baseball) have competition for their athletes and the audience is fractured.

=>Report: MLBPA, owners reach agreement, players to report to training camp by July 1

https://www.wlwt.com/article/report-mlbpa-owners-reach-agreement-players-to-report-to-training-camp-by-july-1/32951480
    MooreHawk said:

mollautt said:

=>I don't mean 5th in college. I mean 5th overall with college and pro basketball and football being ahead of MLB.

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    David Price (now of the Dodgers) and Felix Hernandez (now of the Braves) have opted out of the 2020 season. Mike Trout is reportedly waiting on the advice of his wife’s OB, as she is pregnant and thus high-risk.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly

David Price (now of the Dodgers) and Felix Hernandez (now of the Braves) have opted out of the 2020 season. Mike Trout is reportedly waiting on the advice of his wife’s OB, as she is pregnant and thus high-risk.

When you say "high-risk"  how do you mean it?  Is there data that suggests that pregnant women are more likely to contract the virus, display symptoms, or be more likely to die from it? Or, do you mean that being pregnant makes the risks higher because there's a baby involved?  (Either is understandable ... but they tell me 2 completely different things.)

• MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Sorry about the quote screw up above ... I've never been able to figure out how to get the cursor out of a quote, once I make a bad keystroke/mouseclick and it winds up in the quoted box.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    All I know is that Trout is telling the media his wife’s doctor says she is considered high risk due to her pregnancy.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

All I know is that Trout is telling the media his wife’s doctor says she is considered high risk due to her pregnancy.

That's a whole nuther problem not well thought out by the capitalists running baseball.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly

Latest CDC data shows that 25% of women admitted to hospital for birth of their baby test positive for Covid-19. Indicates A lot of people have it and don’t even know it.
    redhawk11

When he sits out, it’ll be the most marketing he’s ever received
    redhawk11Mowch
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    laxdaddy said:

Latest CDC data shows that 25% of women admitted to hospital for birth of their baby test positive for Covid-19. Indicates A lot of people have it and don’t even know it.
    Wow. That's a crazy stat.