Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Game Week - BSU

Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
edited October 2020 in Football
As CM said last night during HawkTalk, it doesn't quite feel like how week 1 normally does, but here we are. I'm looking forward to finally watching some Miami football. The Game Notes were just posted, I've provided the link below. No real surprises that I noticed, although zach kahn is listed as the #2 at RB. Not sure what that means in terms of availability for guys like Ontario Russell or any of the freshman. Also, Mac Hippenhammer (PSU transfer) is not listed on the two deep. I couldn't remember if he was a grad transfer or if he has to sit this year.

https://miamiredhawks.com/documents/2020/10/29//Game_Notes_2020.pdf

Comments

• Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    That's a pretty young 2-deep on the interior DL. The 2-deep OL is definitely bluesman-certified!
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Losing Robinson at WR eliminates our lob potential. Our WRs are short. Bester obviously still injured, but where is Shelton? He was our #2 last year behind Bester
  • Sprint513Sprint513 Summer Orientee
    edited October 2020
    Andrew Homer, Andrew Sharp, and Josh Maize are all missing from the 2-deep. Camden Rogers, Kevin Davis, and Dom Dzioban are the three true freshman to make it. Dzioban is the outright starting punter but has an OR designation with respect to kicker. Maybe Martin is dividing the kickoff and field goal duties like he did when Sloman was a freshman. By my count 14 redshirt freshman made it. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    What's the deal with redshirting this year? Is it the same number of games? Someone could play half this season and still redshirt, right?
    I am guessing this two deep will not be exactly who we see on the field for majority of game. Maybe to start the game, but vets will definitely be swapped in throughout.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    Spanks004 said:

Losing Robinson at WR eliminates our lob potential. Our WRs are short. Bester obviously still injured, but where is Shelton? He was our #2 last year behind Bester

CM mentioned last week that Shelton was out. Didn't sound like he expects Shelton or Bester to play this season. Also mentioned losing Homer, again, likely for the season.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    Spanks004 said:

Losing Robinson at WR eliminates our lob potential. Our WRs are short.

I think that might just be a matter of us having different style QBs now. Ragland, for all his virtues, didn't have a ton of arm strength, so we needed receivers who could box out defenders and go up to get floating balls. Since Gabbert and Mayer don't have that issue, it makes sense to lean more heavily on receivers who are deep threats and who can be dangerous on quick passes into space.

Also, this means no more goal line fades, which is fantastic.
    edited October 2020

That's a pretty young 2-deep on the interior DL.

Replacing Costin is definitely going to be a big challenge for this defense. He was essentially the Aaron Donald of the MAC last season in that he was great against the run and could rush the QB. A rare combo for interior DL. If the new guys can just be effective stopping the run, I think that'll be a big positive for the defense.

Spanks004 said:

Losing Robinson at WR eliminates our lob potential. Our WRs are short.

I think that might just be a matter of us having different style QBs now. Ragland, for all his virtues, didn't have a ton of arm strength, so we needed receivers who could box out defenders and go up to get floating balls. Since Gabbert and Mayer don't have that issue, it makes sense to lean more heavily on receivers who are deep threats and who can be dangerous on quick passes into space.

Also, this means no more goal line fades, which is fantastic.
    True Fr. Kevin Davis, who is most likely the fastest guy on the team, is listed on the 2-deep at WR. Makes me wonder if his playing time will simply make use of his speed to help stretch the field?
    Some notable redshirt Fr. absences from the 2-deep, at least in my mind... Ontario Russell at RB and D-Mac in the secondary, though the secondary is loaded with experienced upperclassmen, so getting PT is going to be tough for an underclassmen.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

What's the deal with redshirting this year? Is it the same number of games? Someone could play half this season and still redshirt, right?

This season doesn't count towards anyone's eligibility. So our sophomore QB will be a true sophomore next season. And any seniors who play and decide to come back next season won't have their scholarship count against the allotment. There could be some teams with 7th year seniors next year.
    edited October 2020
    Spanks004 said:

He's hurt. So is Andrew Homer and it looks like Andrew Sharp as well. We sort of went away from lobs and fades last season since Burns and Walker did a better job stretching the field and it was a higher percentage play than letting Robinson or Mayock trying to out jump a DB. 
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    wonder if Mehelic or Colidron???   ...can emerge as a pass-catching option....all the better reason to use a TE in passing game.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    No Shelton? No Bester? No problem this year with the OL we have coming back. Tod Mollaun could run for 100 yards behind these guys
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020

No Shelton? No Bester? No problem this year with the OL we have coming back. Tod Mollaun could run for 100 yards behind these guys

Except he'd stop at the line of scrimmage to write a thousand word text message to the coaches espousing his theory about why running forward might not be the best idea.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

redhawk11 said:

This season doesn't count towards anyone's eligibility. So our sophomore QB will be a true sophomore next season. And any seniors who play and decide to come back next season won't have their scholarship count against the allotment. There could be some teams with 7th year seniors next year.
    How does that impact numbers moving forward, though? I know I should know this, but I don't.
    I think I've done this every season since Chuck was hired, so I'll do it again. The depth chart position grade:

QB: B
    MAC Freshman of the Year is impressive, but I'm sure he'd like to have a better then 11:8 TD:INT ratio and average a bit more than 172 ypg. I would imagine the staff is also at a crossroads since they'd love to have him develop at a reasonable pace, but with Bester and Shelton both missing time, more pressure will be put on Brett to run the offense.

OL: A
    Personally, I think this might be the best line Miami has had since the early 2000's. Only newcomer is Bennett Clark, who came in as an extra blocker in goal line and short yardage situations. I'm sure Blues is happy about the size. The starters average 6'5" and 314.6lbs. Shaffer is +15. Godlevske +13. Feth +17. Clark +7. (compared to the Bowl Game Notes from last season).

RB: C-
    With Bester and Shelton out, we return a single rusher who averaged over 3 ypc: Zach Kahn. It's a little unfair to Davion Johnson since he was used almost exclusively in short yardage situations, but we haven't seen him be the guy. Everyone else is also unproven. I think we'll see Ontario Russel (assuming his name isn't omitted due to injury) and there looks to be potential there, but again, nobody else has much game experience.

WR: B-
    There's no superstar, but I think the starting 3 will do fine. Burns is a consistent deep threat, Walker can stretch the field and uses his body well, and Sorenson is Sorenson. Behind that, I think Robinson and Manson are bigger receivers that are also athletic, and it seems like Davis will get to show off his speed. We went from playing receivers where Sorenson was the shortest, to him being the tallest. I think it'll be fine in the MAC, but I'd be more worried if we had our OOC schedule.

TE: C-
    Mehalic has done well enough mostly playing in blocking roles. Similar situation to the RBs though where everyone else is new. Coldiron seems to be in the Homer mold, where he's slightly smaller but more athletic. I believe he was a WR in high school, so he might give us some length we were missing.

DL: B-
    I wanted to separate the DE and DT grades, because I think the DEs are solid this year. Phelps went from being listed at 223 last year to 242 this year. Kimpler has gotten bigger and Kam Butler really looked good last season. I would imagine Dom Robinson will be scary to watch as the season goes on as well. Not having Sharp is a bit scary and potentially Maize again. Ertl looked the part as a freshman and he'll need to anchor the interior this year if the injuries are long term. Collier played well in limited action and Kyle Bryant seems to have a bright future too, but I would say both are fairly unproven. The backups are both RsFr as well. Only 2 SRs on the 2 deep (Kimpler, Robinson).

LB: B+
    I'm including the nickel in this group. McWood was the leading tackler and played well. Pace is Pace and I expect he won't miss much moving to LB. Cecil Singleton looks like he's ready to play the nickel. Last season he quietly had more tackles (30) than Pace, Phelps, Zed, and Kimpler, playing in 13 games. The real question mark here might be the backups, with all 3 being underclassmen.

DB: A
    Running out of time to procrastinate work, so there's not much I can say here that nobody else thinks. Boswell, also an Iowa transfer, is the lone new starter.

ST: ?
    New punter, new kicker. Maybe the same person. New long snapper. Dzioban was hitting 40 and 50 yard field goals in high school. 
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    JiveHawk said:

Spanks004 said:

He's hurt. So is Andrew Homer and it looks like Andrew Sharp as well. We sort of went away from lobs and fades last season since Burns and Walker did a better job stretching the field and it was a higher percentage play than letting Robinson or Mayock trying to out jump a DB. 
    Well we can all thank Todd Alquist for that. Opie, dead-eyed sociopath.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I did notice that CM went out of his way to mention the progress of back up QB AJ Mayer in the last two HawkTalk shows. It sounded to me like he's nipping at Gabbert's heals in case Brett has a sophomore slump.
    skins said:

wonder if Mehelic or Colidron???   ...can emerge as a pass-catching option....all the better reason to use a TE in passing game.

My position grade touched on this, but it was sitting in my drafts for 4 hours.

Coldiron was a WR in high school. Here's his junior year film, see if you recognize the QB: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5495612/5a254132bd6abe0574dcf0b3

He has film from his senior year with touchdown receptions of 89, 70, and 68 yards if you're interested.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I did notice that CM went out of his way to mention the progress of back up QB AJ Mayer in the last two HawkTalk shows. It sounded to me like he's nipping at Gabbert's heals in case Brett has a sophomore slump.

I just watched it. I think part of it is because of everything we've seen this season. Wisconsin thought they had a legitimate QB and would be contending. Then he got COVID. Injuries are up. The way this year has gone, it's nice to know you have 2 QBs ready to go if needed.
    edited October 2020
    Exactly....CM made it sound like if you think you can punt, let me know, every try holding?...maybe you can play DE....who wants to give running back a try.

Crap shoot this year for sure.  That said it seems like from CM's comments that it maybe was starting to click with AJ.

Good to hear that Colidron might provide a passing catching target....as season progresses.
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly
    Hopefully the COVID situation is a once per hundred year event, but it does make things interesting for fans. Every team is dealing with injuries and illness. The team which has flexible, smart players, along with a creative staff that knows how to quickly adjust, will have an advantage over the ‘conventional better team’.

The silver lining for us is the staff did a nice job getting quality snaps for the underclassmen and each year recruiting has presented better athletes who have displaced upper classmen. The staff also intentionally recruits athletes who have a Swiss Army knife capability and mentality who just want to be on the field and love the game.
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Havighurstite
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy dose of Nicholson and Afari in the backfield as well. Probably will see big Rhett Williams in there at TE too. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy dose of Nicholson and Afari in the backfield as well. Probably will see big Rhett Williams in there at TE too. 

Think we see Russell at all?
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Havighurstite
    JiveHawk said:

Think we see Russell at all?
    Absolutely. 
    Never a great year to have to rely on freshman to contribute at a position, but we did just have a very good recruiting class at RB. Also curious to see what Davion Johnson looks like as the main guy now. He was highly recruited out of HS and has kinda been lost in the shuffle. Big opportunity for him.

Never a great year to have to rely on freshman to contribute at a position, but we did just have a very good recruiting class at RB. Also curious to see what Davion Johnson looks like as the main guy now. He was highly recruited out of HS and has kinda been lost in the shuffle. Big opportunity for him.

Our freshmen QB, WRs, and LB led us to a MAC title last year! If they can play, they can play!
    Agreed...looking forward to seeing what Davion can do.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

That's a pretty young 2-deep on the interior DL. The 2-deep OL is definitely bluesman-certified!

I was just going to comment about the OL. We got the beef!! Protect Gabbert, and we can pound the ball. Looking forward to the running game!!

Missing some big pieces though in Homer, Bester, Sharp. 3 starters. Hopefully Homer and Sharp don't miss much time. I think Bester may be out for the year. 

Bring on Balless State!