Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Mitchell Miller

BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
edited October 2020 in Rogue Boosters
If you guys haven't heard, here's the story on NoDak's Mitchell Miller:

It's horrible, no doubt. Really hard to read, actually.

The story said the Arizona Republic acquired a police report...does that mean he was definitely charged as an adult as a 14-year-old? I thought juvenile records were sealed.

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    No, not charged as an adult. Ugly, but if everyone in life was canceled for what they did when they were 14 there wouldn’t be many functioning adults.
    skin66Maz
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    JohnnyMac said:

No, not charged as an adult. Ugly, but if everyone in life was canceled for what they did when they were 14 there wouldn’t be many functioning adults.

I'd still be around.  Most of you probably too. 

It shows that Miller is a turd.  Anyone who beats on and abuses a special ed kid, regardless of race, has a hardcoded streak of shit in his backbone. 

That being said, he was charged, convicted (I didn't know this was a thing for bullying - or is it only called bullying because they were minors?  simple assault would have worked), and completed his punishment.  That's how it works. 
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

I mean, I drank and maybe smoked pot when I was 14, but I wasn't walking around beating up kids, especially special needs kids. This is horrible. He should be canceled for that. Drinking/weed, not so much.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

I think what's telling is this went on stove second grade and when the court ordered him to stop being a douchebag, Miller would rollerblade in front of the kid's house to intimidate him. I can give some sort of a, "we've all done stupid stuff when we were young" if he made any sort of progress, but it sounds like he started off as a douche and continued down that path with no remorse or intent to change.
    So, he shouldn't be allowed to play pro hockey for what he did in 8th grade?
    Who is saying he shouldn't be allowed?  We're just saying he's a dick.  And it's also par for the course with hockey culture. 
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

Who is saying he shouldn't be allowed?  We're just saying he's a dick.  And it's also par for the course with hockey culture. 

It sounded like the bullied kid's Mom was.

It is worth noting that kids who bully other kids often have psychological issues stemming from one kind of abuses or another - and bullying may be a by-product of that.  Doing that kind of thing as a 14 year old is undeniably shitty, but I don't think we - as a society - can afford to be giving up on either the bully or the bullied at that age.
  • The Arizona Republic is reporting that Miller (unlike the other kid) never apologized in person, and the victim’s mom says the family never received Miller’s court-ordered apology letter.

I wonder if he’s sorry at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/3754989001
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    We dodged a bullet when this shthead went to NoDak.
    grumpy1Bash_RiprockLove_and_HonorDICK
    Latest reports say he kept doing it up until 2 years ago and it started in 2nd grade. He still hasn't apologized to the classmate even though it was court ordered (not that a court order should need to be made for him to apologize for what he did). He was a douche, was told he was a douche, had an opportunity to not be a douche, then proceeded to continue being a douche. I could maybe say he's changed if he said he hit rock bottom and learned and maybe spent time volunteering at a place for disabled children or anything. Instead he doubled down.
    edited October 2020
    JiveHawk said:

Latest reports say he kept doing it up until 2 years ago and it started in 2nd grade. He still hasn't apologized to the classmate even though it was court ordered (not that a court order should need to be made for him to apologize for what he did). He was a douche, was told he was a douche, had an opportunity to not be a douche, then proceeded to continue being a douche. I could maybe say he's changed if he said he hit rock bottom and learned and maybe spent time volunteering at a place for disabled children or anything. Instead he doubled down.
    I practice in Lucas County Juvenile Court where Miller was prosecuted.  It is common practice to have children who are found delinquent of a crime ordered to write a letter of apology and turn it in to the probation office.  If probation does not forward it to the victim, that is not on the child who wrote it.  Certainly Miller may have been able to go beyond that and apologized directly, but he probably was under some sort of no contact order directing him to stay away from the victim, meaning the victim's family is asking for something he is not allowed to do.
    DICK
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

This is an interesting comment. I am not a hockey player or fan and my son isnt either- but I didnt know of a bad hockey culture.

Did Miami have some bad experiences with the hockey players? I know Miami football just had an issue. Going back in time Miami basketball had the player kicked off for theft and I think in the sendek era we had a couple kids off for sexual assualt.
    par for overall hockey culture, not Miami specifically. 
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2020
    Arizona Coyotes are renouncing the rights of 2020 fourth-round draft pick Mitchell Miller.

Source: https://arizonasports.com/story/2437896/coyotes-renouncing-rights-of-2020-4th-round-draft-pick-mitchell-miller/amp/
    JohnnyMac said:

JiveHawk said:

I practice in Lucas County Juvenile Court where Miller was prosecuted.  It is common practice to have children who are found delinquent of a crime ordered to write a letter of apology and turn it in to the probation office.  If probation does not forward it to the victim, that is not on the child who wrote it.  Certainly Miller may have been able to go beyond that and apologized directly, but he probably was under some sort of no contact order directing him to stay away from the victim, meaning the victim's family is asking for something he is not allowed to do.
    He could rollerblade back and forth in front of the defendants house but submitting an apology directly was too far? Of note, the other kid that was involved with Miller did apologize directly. He's shown little remorse, and at best hasn't made an effort to show he's changed. Keep in mind as well, that he was prosecuted in 2016, but the defendant's mom claims he continued up until 2 years ago. Based on that, the only thing that stopped him was going to Cedar Rapids for juniors.

Do you have any confidence to say that if he had stayed in northern Ohio, that he wouldn't have continued to bully this kid up until now? Because from everything I've seen, he's shown that not even being prosecuted changed him. The only thing he did was send a letter ahead of the draft to teams saying he learned after team after team considered him undraftable. 
    JiveHawk said:

JohnnyMac said:

JiveHawk said:

He could rollerblade back and forth in front of the defendants house but submitting an apology directly was too far? Of note, the other kid that was involved with Miller did apologize directly. He's shown little remorse, and at best hasn't made an effort to show he's changed. Keep in mind as well, that he was prosecuted in 2016, but the defendant's mom claims he continued up until 2 years ago. Based on that, the only thing that stopped him was going to Cedar Rapids for juniors.

Do you have any confidence to say that if he had stayed in northern Ohio, that he wouldn't have continued to bully this kid up until now? Because from everything I've seen, he's shown that not even being prosecuted changed him. The only thing he did was send a letter ahead of the draft to teams saying he learned after team after team considered him undraftable. 
    I am not setting out to defend this guy, but only defend that a juvenile prosecution should not cancel an adult's chosen career path. As a society, we have purposely set up our juvenile system to treat juveniles differently than adults acknowledging that their brains are not fully developed and that punishments and results should be different and that we prioritize rehabilitation for the children involved.  And, usually we try to keep juvenile matters confidential, but somehow Mr. Miller lost that protection here.

Apologizing in person or by letter/text/email/voice mail/candygram would violate a no contact order from a court.  I don't have specific information on the case, but take that into account.  Rollerblading past a house?  Too vague to address here, too many possible scenarios.  You are believing as gospel truth everything you read in the media and from the victim's family and reaching conclusions based only on those sources, which may or may not be correct.

JiveHawk2xHawk
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    Mitchell Miller is no longer on the North Dakota Fighting Hawks hockey team. He remains a student at UND.

Source: https://twitter.com/uofnorthdakota/status/1322210429028995077?s=21
    moose
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

JiveHawk said:

JohnnyMac said:

JiveHawk said:

I am not setting out to defend this guy, but only defend that a juvenile prosecution should not cancel an adult's chosen career path.

I think that as a society we're way too punitive and unforgiving, and I've had a problem with the many instances over the past few years where some rando loses their job because of an internet outrage mob. The distinction to me is that being a pro athlete isn't just some random job. For high-profile, public facing jobs I do think there should be a higher standard of behavior.

The difference between this case and the case of Michael Vick (whose comeback I did support) is that Vick did go above and beyond to try to redeem himself. He donated a lot of money to charity and did a ton of outreach and activism work against animal cruelty. My understanding of the Miller situation is that he did the absolute bare minimum ordered by the court and allegedly continued some of the harassment even after the conviction. I don't think he should necessarily be precluded from ever having a pro hockey career, but I don't think it would be appropriate at this time.
    Bash_RiprockLove_and_HonorMowch
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    According to sources (Chuck), his sister was on Twitter last night saying that the special needs kid was the one to blame for all of this which is certainly a take.
    Love_and_Honor