Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami @ Akron (predictions, thread)

Comments

• I've been disappointed this season in our offensive line when run blocking.
    Nescacdad
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Probably should throw on 3rd and 5.
    Has anyone noticed how poor our tackling has been this year? Strange. I guess blame the layoff.
    Love how disciplined this Zips offense is!! B)
    edited November 2020
    Great defensive stand. Dom blew the play up!
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Please open it up
    Ok let’s get aggressive on offense.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Run the damned ball.
    DICK
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Why do we insist on trying to win every game 24-17. They havent been within 10 yards of us when we pass on 1st and 10
    DICK
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    We may need to win this one 7-0.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    UB RB has 250 yards in first half
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Not able to run on Akron so far.
    ???
    Nescacdad
    Ok we won the first quarter With conservative play calling. Time For Chuck to open up the playbook a bit. Let Gabbert sling the ball a little.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Ok let’s get aggressive on offense.

Nescacdad said:

Run the damned ball.

I love how nobody can agree on the best way to call an offense

(I'm pro pass vs Akron)
    Love_and_HonorDSnyder15
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    We have no running backs...disappointing as last year, so far?

This team is flawed, big time....I guess we thought we'd have more RBs, but it's not like we have dynamic receivers either?
    JiveHawk
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    Just finished the official Sega prediction. Miami won, 24-7. Akron actually scored on a long catch and run on the first play of the game. Then from that point on, the Zips passing attack resulted in just 7 more completions to go along with 3 interceptions. Gabbert finished with a completion rate of 70%.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Meanwhile Kent about to go up on UB?
    Well penalties killed the drive but Clutch throw on third and 24 putting us in manageable field-goal range and we got the three points. 20-0!
    Really like what I have seen from Mac Hippie!!
  • This is a game we need to dominate so we can play backups the second half without any fear of losing. Will be nice if we have extra COVID depth.
    skins said:

We have no running backs...disappointing as last year, so far?

This team is flawed, big time....I guess we thought we'd have more RBs, but it's not like we have dynamic receivers either?

Wut? Our top 2 running backs are out... What did you expect? A MAC school to be 5 deep at RB? We have 2 short yardage backs and a freshman. And I'm not sure how you say the freshman YPC leader last year isn't dynamic? And everything we've seen from Davis?
  • We really don't have anyone who can kickoff past the 5?
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Ok, 10-0
    Gabbert’s arm looks strong today.

We really don't have anyone who can kickoff past the 5?

Dzioban had over 50% of kicks go for touchbacks last season. He's being coaches to intentionally put more loft to encourage returns. Look up the difference in points per possession based on starting field position. The difference between starting at your own 10 vs own 45 is about 1.5 points per possession. And 25 vs 45 is less than 1. Touchbacks are mathematically overrated compared to chances for fumbles.
    Great tackle by Butler! Very sure handed
    JiveHawk
    Nice solo tackle by Brown to prevent a long gain
  • JiveHawk said:

We really don't have anyone who can kickoff past the 5?

Dzioban had over 50% of kicks go for touchbacks last season. He's being coaches to intentionally put more loft to encourage returns. Look up the difference in points per possession based on starting field position. The difference between starting at your own 10 vs own 45 is about 1.5 points per possession. And 25 vs 45 is less than 1. Touchbacks are mathematically overrated compared to chances for fumbles.
    I get the analytics, but if we're gonna do that strategy then we can't kick to the 15 or 20 like we've seen quite a few times this season. Our coverage is solid but its not that good.
    Great return by Walker!! Let’s go O!!
    The Johnson run had such a huge hole and Bank just missed the second level block to spring it.

And now we've scored on 75% of possessions. Not bad.