Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Happy Doug Penno Day

muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
edited March 10 in Men's Basketball
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Z4_LB0eVQ

14 years ago tonight. At the time, Penno’s prayer snapped Miami’s Big Dance drought. At that point, it had been 8 years since the Sweet 16 run. Yeah, the drought then was 8 years. Our current drought is nearly twice as long as that total.

Mr. Penno, you still rock.
Re6H5wkJohnnyMac

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Always fun to watch again (and again!)
    greggie76
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited March 10
    That never gets old....that look by 50cent (Wood), is sad though...feel his pain.

PS should have beat Oregon!
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Wow, that was fun. My wife and I went onto the floor. My phone started to ring constantly. Great drive home.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Jermaime's reaction was the best.
    killgas20
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer
    That was so much fun.  I was watching at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Lebanon and was the only Miami fan in the whole place.  When he made that shot, I was hooting and hollering and people were looking at me like, 'Who is this nut?' :)

A great memory.  Too bad we haven't been back since.
    Never would have believed we be 14 years out..no NCAA.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Toledo is 41 years out.

Bowling Green is 53 years out.
    Re6H5wk
  • GeneGene Off-Campus Slummer

That was so much fun.  I was watching at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Lebanon and was the only Miami fan in the whole place.  When he made that shot, I was hooting and hollering and people were looking at me like, 'Who is this nut?' :)

A great memory.  Too bad we haven't been back since.

Sad to think that you were the only Miami fan there. We seem to have not many fans here in Warren County.
    ChrisW1980
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

skins said:

Toledo is 41 years out.

And small consultation, but Akron has never won an NCAA Tournament game.
  • RoundballfanRoundballfan Summer Orientee
    I certainly remember that day.  Today is my birthday and I told my wife all I wanted was a MAC Championship & Penno delivered it!
    Re6H5wk
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Penno (local kid) was actually a heck of a football player (first-team all-state?) and was also a walkon to the basketball team.

After his Miami career ended, he put on a bunch of weight and bulked up to around 250, hoping to get a shot at playing TE in the NFL. I'm not sure if he ever got any looks.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    Jermaine dancing toward the end is the highlight!
    killgas20
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    Big fan of the radio call of that shot — Joe Barry calling the free throw miss and Bake capping the game with a “Miami’s Dancing!!!!”

Re6H5wkkillgas20profholt82
    edited March 10
    JohnnyMac said:

skins said:

Toledo is 41 years out.

I'm aware...and certainly in BG's case understandable, LOL.

That said.... in our case....Miami avg. every three to four years nearly since 50s up to 2007, slightly different precedent.

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Still gives The Sackman chills...glad I was there that night.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

Big fan of the radio call of that shot — Joe Barry calling the free throw miss and Bake capping the game with a “Miami’s Dancing!!!!”

So epic. Always makes my day.
    Watched it another half dozen times..it never gets old!
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Off-Campus Slummer
    Cincykid3 said:

Watched it another half dozen times..it never gets old!

That NEVER gets old!!!!
    edited March 11
    ..and we gave #4 seed UNC a very good game in the NCAA first round, losing 68-63...as I recall we had a good chance to win the game until the last minute or so...
    muhoopsjunkie
  • 75_Redskins75_Redskins Senior Barfly
    Actually, we played Oregon that year. Jumped out 10 nothing as I recall and wound up losing by 2.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11

Actually, we played Oregon that year. Jumped out 10 nothing as I recall and wound up losing by 2.

Yep, I was watching at a sports bar and was wondering when they would start respecting our undersized post player.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

Still grumpy about that. I would have traveled to any first-round site east of the Mississippi, and they stuck us in freaking Spokane.
    Crap..brain dead..was thinking of 91 team after I was reading up on David Scott.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11
    Cincykid3 said:

Crap..brain dead..was thinking of 91 team after I was reading up on David Scott.

David Scott. The Will Rogers of Miami Basketball.

“He never met a shot he didn’t like!”
    At his height (6-6) he wasn’t big enough for forward or quick enough for the NBA at two guard but he had a productive pro career overseas after his Miami playing days. I seem to recall him going “coast to coast” at the end of an important game for the winning shot..was that in the MAC championship game that year?
    edited March 12
    He was Wally like at times, before his time..... in a slightly smaller package....David was pretty athletic....streaky, but fun to watch.

Look at his stats....we could use a guy like him.

NO WAY...enjoy!

• 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum
    Was it McKenna who threw the ball away against the Heels?
    edited March 12
    at the end yes....that said he and Lamar battled Montross all day....Miami was so cold to start, had we hit any early shots we would have won this one.

Look at this roster:

Oh Miami where have you gone.....fast forward to about 21:40 mark and enjoy the Mike Williams show....Dunk, put back, block....partied with him a once or twice!

Wow..Skins..you are right...that is a very impressive roster we had then...also ancient history to the newly graduated but thiS was just after we had 3 NCAA appearances in the80’s with the Harper teams...one a bad loss to Washington (I think), and the the two heart-break last second losses to Maryland and Iowa State. MAC was getting two NCAA bids about once every 3 years in the 80’s and early 90’s. Ball State had their powerhouse teams of the late 80’s as well and a sweet sixteen appearance where they lost to eventual NCAA champ UNLV by 2 points.
    We had so many open looks in this one....was a bummer, should have been a W.

Mowch