Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC men's tournament coverage

Comments

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11
    Agreed...we have no guard height....the recruit coming in could be a 6-7 225# in a year (Curtis Harrison).

Ames shows some promise....no idea what we have in Eller (6-7 225)?  Seems like a slower, thicker Etzler.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

Final tally: 0-9 against teams 1 through 5; 9-0 against teams 6 through 12. One of the most aggressively average teams I can remember.

This team will go down in MAC trivia history...
    edited March 11
    Eh, take the winning season and go home...Spring Break, whatever...not worth it, nor worthy.

Jalen Adaway will be dancing likely.....Marcus Weathers, Nike not.
  • NWORedhawkNWORedhawk Summer Orientee
    Owens is a joke of a coach. Let's get rid of him.
    aba222
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum
    I thought we played really hard and competed.  We didn't go away like we did in the first 2 meetings.  We forced 15 turnovers and made some things happen defensively.  

Offensively, we didn't move the ball well in the 2nd half.  Grant was 5/18 with a lot of bad shots.  In the last 4:30, we were outscored 15-5, and 3 of those points were by Grant in garbage time.

We played well defensively despite not guarding them smartly for a good part of the game, including the last 4 minutes.  There was no need to trail Graves around the pick and roll.  Go under the pick and roll, attach to Mballa and make Graves shoot the ball.  Some poor scouting.

We may be a good post guy or 2 away from seriously contending for a MAC championship.  We have good shooters.  Having someone to dump the ball into should get our guards better shots.  

But even if that happens, the coaching, sadly, doesn't give me the confidence that we'll get there.  Still too inconsistent and some of the lineups (Jovic for so long today?) are a head scratcher.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Blame me, I wasn't able to listen until we were down by just 1 and they immediately fell apart after that.
    Besides having some good shooters, we need a slasher that is not 5-8, as much as I like Mekhi....he's great.

But need a 6-4 to 6-6 guy that can slash as well....hope Harrison can contribute...maybe Eller is an every other year scholarship deal....
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Besides having some good shooters, we need a slasher that is not 5-8, as much as I like Mekhi....he's great.

But need a 6-4 to 6-6 guy that can slash as well....hope Harrison can contribute...maybe Eller is an every other year scholarship deal....
    I believe Ron Harper has graduated.
    MUHawk84
    That's problem...no one told Miami
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12
    mz343 said:

I thought we played really hard and competed.  We didn't go away like we did in the first 2 meetings.  We forced 15 turnovers and made some things happen defensively.  

This is the problem. We gave Buffalo something resembling our best shot and still lost by 11. Haven't been past the final 8 since 2010.
    MowchRe6H5wkredhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12
    We competed and actually had a chance to win late in the game. That was huge improvement from the previous two times we played UB. Coach Owens seems to have the program on a similar course to what Chuck Martin has done with foootball. Look for us to move closer to the top of the MAC the next few years.

One thing that has changed this year is something I was a big believer in when I coached Our team’s bench was really engaged and loud and spirited. Every good team that I coached was that way and
    MowchFraggleHawk
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

We competed and actually had a chance to win late in the game. That was huge improvement from the previous two times we played UB. Coach Owens seems to have the program on a similar course to what Chuck Martin has done with foootball. Look for us to move closer to the top of the MAC the next few years.

One thing that has changed this year is something I was a big believer in when I coached Our team’s bench was really engaged and loud and spirited. Every good team that I coached was that way and

Oh God. Please tell me Dick didn't just keel over mid-post.
    QuinoaburgerLove_and_Honor
    Dick....you there?????
    Re6H5wk
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Dick, Dick, Dick?? Answer the roll call please.
    redhawk11
    Well there was no..................................................................or zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So hopefully Dick is just gambling....
  • aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    agc said:

skins said:

Is what it is...Miami still significantly deficient...nice effort, despite being at a disadvantage in frontcourt, we played dumb in moments down stretch.

Owens is not the answer...as he does not get it.  But I see at least some growth.

Oh well another craptastic year...but at least above 500.

Weight room at gonna help it much our guys are not built to gain that mass....ELI, Dalonte are lean...always will be.

I think Ames will be helpful...hope he see court much more next year.
    Time to create an SDS fund. Send pizzas to these kids every day. Put them to hit the gym 2h a day
    Umm...Pizza ain’t gonna do it.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    How bout Bruno’s? With all that grease there’s gotta be a few more calories there to be found!
    MUHawk84
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    12 games in 3 days including a couple of overtime’s, but I am still going. Easy day tomorrow, only two games.
    redhawk11
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    Sorry, off thread and doesn’t merit its own: just watched the SWAC championship game, Texas Southern knocked off favored Prairie View, and they and Michael Weathers will be dancing.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 13
    Blackbird said:

Sorry, off thread and doesn’t merit its own: just watched the SWAC championship game, Texas Southern knocked off favored Prairie View, and they and Michael Weathers will be dancing.

Weather effed up multiple times. Glad he got one more chance and is making it count.
    Ohio drubbing Buffalo
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

I believe that he prefers to be called Dwain these days.
    USA Today projects OU as 14 seed playing Kansas. Ouch..pretty bad seed for the MAC...usually 13 is worst case scenario most years.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

USA Today projects OU as 14 seed playing Kansas. Ouch..pretty bad seed for the MAC...usually 13 is worst case scenario most years.

It's tough for the league when the champion is a team that finished fifth place and had more than a quarter of their games canceled.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum

Cincykid3 said:

It's tough for the league when the champion is a team that finished fifth place and had more than a quarter of their games canceled.
    The wins by Georgetown and Oregon St. bumped everyone down as well.  
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

Cincykid3 said:

The wins by Georgetown and Oregon St. bumped everyone down as well.  
    You will have to explain that math to me. Wouldnt they just be bumping the last at larges out who would be 11 and 12 seeds.
    ESPN project OU as a 13 seed playing Purdue.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Meanwhile, UC is in the AAC Championship against Houston. Lose and they'll miss the tourney for the first time since 2010 (not counting last season).
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Cincykid3 said:

*And are also giant bags of shit
    grumpy1
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly

Meanwhile, UC is in the AAC Championship against Houston. Lose and they'll miss the tourney for the first time since 2010 (not counting last season).

UC had a very odd season in an odd season for everyone.   Had a 25 day layoff due to covid cancellations.  5 players opted out, 2 of them then opted back in a few weeks after leaving.   They have twin freshman on the roster, one of them opted out.  In yesterday's game Senior Keith Williams unexpectedly walked off in the second half with an unidentified injury that hasn't been explained at all and was back starting in today's game.