Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Spring Practice is starting!

NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
Miami launched its spring session last Thursday evening!

Comments

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    CM’s presser after practice #1: https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2021/3/18/football-redhawks-open-spring-practice.aspx

Glad to hear Bester is back and that Homer & Shelton will be good to go for the fall. Sounds like coach Patton has some work to do up front. CM hinted that essentially all 5 spots on the OL could be open.
    DanRedhawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

CM’s presser after practice #1: https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2021/3/18/football-redhawks-open-spring-practice.aspx

Glad to hear Bester is back and that Homer & Shelton will be good to go for the fall. Sounds like coach Patton has some work to do up front. CM hinted that essentially all 5 spots on the OL could be open.

The good thing is we have numbers and quality depth now on the OL. Patton is an excellent coach and will get this sorted out. 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Sure be great to have that breakaway speed back in our backfield!
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

Sure be great to have that breakaway speed back in our backfield!

Hopefully they still have it and are fully healed....can stay healthy
    Mowch
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

Shaffer shouldn't have his spot open...if so, we have major issues
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

I know but I heard Martin say the same thing that all 5 spots were open.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

Spanks004 said:

I know but I heard Martin say the same thing that all 5 spots were open.
    That could just mean that some starters might be switching positions.  So most of the names would be the same but their roles might be different.  Somebody switching to center perhaps?
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    it's also something a coach says just to boost competition.
    QuinoaburgerMowchFraggleHawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited March 23
    Spanks004 said:

I look at this much differently. I look at is as CM, rightly, telling his players take nothing for granted, you are guaranteed nothing, and you need to work every day to keep your spot. And to those below, work hard as you can move up. Competition fights against complacency. 
    Bash_RiprockNescacdadScalper
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    Shaffer played the Akron game at tackle, maybe they are thinking about moving him permanently. Who knows, a new OL coach may have different idea about how he wants the OL looks.
    We lost a lot on the OL, could be tough, but Martin has recruited big guys, so hoping we are ok. Losing Godlevske to transfer was a major blow and obviously Doyle to the draft.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Coach talk...they'll be fine.
  • GeneGene Off-Campus Slummer
    Is spring practice over?  Is there going to be a Red White game? Is there going to be a season with people in the seats?  So many questions and very little news and discussion. I’m from the Dayton area, so all the newspaper coverage here is UD and of course, Ohio State.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Other than the initial press conference with CM, and the occasional Twitter video, I haven’t heard a peep about spring ball. I believe practices are still occurring. Doubt there will be a spring game. I get the feeling that perhaps the athletic department is being run on a skeleton crew due to budget constraints.
    redhawk11DICK
    There will not be a spring game this year.
    Redskin89 said:

There will not be a spring game this year.

Do you know if the lack of information is a Martin mandate or just a lack of resources due to Covid impacts?
    My guess is resources.  However, since Coach Martin has been here though they have never had a spring game, just a practice with activities for fans.  

Other than the initial press conference with CM, and the occasional Twitter video, I haven’t heard a peep about spring ball. I believe practices are still occurring. Doubt there will be a spring game. I get the feeling that perhaps the athletic department is being run on a skeleton crew due to budget constraints.

I think this is tragic. How can one maintain interest in a program without some kind of feedback to the fans and season ticket holders. Personally, I feel our athletic program for men is going to hell in a hand basket. 
    digitalhawk
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    This should be easy. Just post a few still photos with minimal captions. Headline reads Things are going well. See you in the fall. Or perhaps We do still have football. Maybe a spot commercial on a softball broadcast.

Not a good thing to abandon your fan base in the off season.
    Gene
    skin66 said:

This should be easy. Just post a few still photos with minimal captions. Headline reads Things are going well. See you in the fall. Or perhaps We do still have football. Maybe a spot commercial on a softball broadcast.

Not a good thing to abandon your fan base in the off season.

Amen!
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Sadly, Miami has a very small "fan base" and I would also imagine they sell very few season tickets for FB............or BB for that matter.
    They do post updates on the Football twitter account. Now I know a lot of people don’t use social media a lot, myself included, but that is one site I do check for updates.
    This staff was "laid off" last year before the MAC season was saved and like half the athletic department was furloughed as well. I assume most are still not back. Let's give them a break and understand not everyone may be as lucky as you are right now if you are still holding your job and income is stable.
    Bash_Riprockthechuck_2112Quinoaburgerredhawk11Love_and_HonorFraggleHawkDICKvmijohn
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Must admit since the first FB post on the Athletic Dept website I keep checking back and am surprised by lack of anything on football. I think Spanks 004 is correct. Athletic department is probably running really, really lean. With what's left looks like they're concentrating whatever resources they have left on spring sports which is only right. How 'bout that Women's Softball Team!!! 
    We'll all get our FB fix soon as they can get around to it. In meantime you know they're having spring practice. They manage to stretch out 15 practices forever...
    Spanks004 said:

This staff was "laid off" last year before the MAC season was saved and like half the athletic department was furloughed as well. I assume most are still not back. Let's give them a break and understand not everyone may be as lucky as you are right now if you are still holding your job and income is stable.

That could very well be the problem. If so, it should be easy to post” the lack of staff equals lack of communication but we will be back. Please continue to support us in these ever changing times. “ One post in several places. Throw out an explanation and all reasonable people will understand.
    digitalhawk
  • When COVID first hit they eliminated basically Athletic department media position besides Bake and the SID and a couple others. So it’s literally one person running everything for all sports. The resources aren’t there. I took over football social media while I was there but there’s only so much you can do. Now that I’m gone it’s new people running it and they are still getting a hang of things while also taking on all the other duties that come with Spring Ball. People aren’t bad at their jobs they just have 100 jobs each and allocate their time to things that keep the org running.
    MowchBash_RiprockRedseaagcQuinoaburger
    skin66 said:

Spanks004 said:

That could very well be the problem. If so, it should be easy to post” the lack of staff equals lack of communication but we will be back. Please continue to support us in these ever changing times. “ One post in several places. Throw out an explanation and all reasonable people will understand.
    I would like that info- but I could see how a public statement like that could hurt the football team and recruiting
    Renmanco said:

Sadly, Miami has a very small "fan base" and I would also imagine they sell very few season tickets for FB............or BB for that matter.

And it will only get smaller without marketing the program and generating excitement. Good grief, we are supposed to be a major college program.
    digitalhawk
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    edited April 22

When COVID first hit they eliminated basically Athletic department media position besides Bake and the SID and a couple others. So it’s literally one person running everything for all sports. The resources aren’t there. I took over football social media while I was there but there’s only so much you can do. Now that I’m gone it’s new people running it and they are still getting a hang of things while also taking on all the other duties that come with Spring Ball. People aren’t bad at their jobs they just have 100 jobs each and allocate their time to things that keep the org running.

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder whether the university could hire some students to help with less technical/more mundane tasks. This shouldn't be expensive — my daughter said that Miami pays student-workers about $8.50 an hour (she was a teaching assistant). 
    Redsea said:

skin66 said:

Spanks004 said:

I would like that info- but I could see how a public statement like that could hurt the football team and recruiting

More than a complete blackout where people’s imaginations are allowed to wonder? I certainly hope we are still actively recruiting and being in contact with recruits when it is legal to do so. I can’t see why an honest statement wouldn’t be better than nothing.
    JiveHawk