Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2021 Football Schedule is out!

2»

Comments

  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

    Dr. Faucci said today that he thinks by Christmas things will be back to our "new normal".  We have had a huge drop over the last month but the experts are seeing that the numbers are starting to plateau.  They feel that people are losing their caution and feeling that they don't need to follow the rules any more.  Other concerns are that not enough people are going to get vaccinated and that the new varieties that are developing are more contagious than the original.  Kind of discouraging to hear all that this morning.

    I just dont understand this. Dr Gottlieb thinks by April everybody that wants a vaccine will have access. Even Bidens team says by July we will have everyone vaccinated that wants it. Christmas seems like the least likely time to me- that was the highest case load this year. Fauci changes his mind a lot- so what is he not telling us now.

    I am not to continue to social distance just cause some people dont want to vaccinate. If getting vaccinated doesnt mean going back to normal wants the point. If we get the at risk population vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths should go way down. We cant prevent anyone from ever getting it that is not a fair goal. There will never be zero cases or we will be hiding for 10 years and a lot of us will be dead by then anyway
    Mowcha26daveChrisW1980MacCracken
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    From what I've been reading, it sounds like late May to early June is when we're going to hit threshold where the issue with vaccines will go from availability to willingness. At that point, I'd say just get rid of the restrictions and let the people who don't want to get vaccinated deal with the consequences of their decision.
    Redseaa26dave2xHawk
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

    DICK said:

    Dr. Faucci said today that he thinks by Christmas things will be back to our "new normal".  We have had a huge drop over the last month but the experts are seeing that the numbers are starting to plateau.  They feel that people are losing their caution and feeling that they don't need to follow the rules any more.  Other concerns are that not enough people are going to get vaccinated and that the new varieties that are developing are more contagious than the original.  Kind of discouraging to hear all that this morning.

    I just dont understand this. Dr Gottlieb thinks by April everybody that wants a vaccine will have access. Even Bidens team says by July we will have everyone vaccinated that wants it. Christmas seems like the least likely time to me- that was the highest case load this year. Fauci changes his mind a lot- so what is he not telling us now.

    I am not to continue to social distance just cause some people dont want to vaccinate. If getting vaccinated doesnt mean going back to normal wants the point. If we get the at risk population vaccinated hospitalizations and deaths should go way down. We cant prevent anyone from ever getting it that is not a fair goal. There will never be zero cases or we will be hiding for 10 years and a lot of us will be dead by then anyway
    that wants a vaccine

    You're answering your own question.  Fauci and the rest aren't being contradictory.  A lot of people aren't rushing to get the vaccine or have no intention of doing so.  This slows down the ability of a population to get to herd immunity.  And there will be a 'new normal'.  You don't go through the last 12 months without it having some impact in how people interact. 

    If you've gotten vaccinated and now feel free to stand 4 inches away from people, I suppose that's your prerogative.  I kinda like not having people all up in my biznazz. 
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    I am sitting in my wife’s hospital room waiting for her to get transported to surgery. (Renal stint). I have talked to at least three nurses who have no intention of getting the vaccine. One because of pregnancy the others just don’t want it.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum
    "Normal" has changed.  Once herd immunity is reached, a switch won't be flipped and everything won't be returned to a pre-pandemic state.  

    Drive-thru and curbside pickup of food and other retail items will expand and become permanent, eliminating some jobs.  Think of the service worker in Detroit, New York, Chicago or any other major urban area that can't go to work because of child care concerns or a shut down business that faces back rent payments once the eviction moratoria end.  There's a significant amount of shake out that will happen on the back end of this.

    At least some offices will adopt permanent hybrid models to accommodate teleworking.  We're doing that.  The City of Detroit has already included a 10% permanent drop in office occupancy rates in their future revenue models.

    The share of consumer spending that e-commerce has gained won't be given back to brick-and-mortar stores.  Speculative construction of warehouse/last mile delivery has increased exponentially in recent months and will likely not slow down for the time being.  This will align well with autonomous delivery functions that will start to come online in the next 10-20 years.

    I would imagine that the manufacturing of critical PPE will come back onshore, not having to rely on Chinese suppliers as much.

    I would guess that some kind of health screening prior to international travel will become permanent to try and avoid how COVID spread.

    Willingness to take the vaccine continues to inch higher as more people become vaccinated without complications.  Greater focus needs to be on the number of vaccinations, not the few serious complications that have occurred.

    Masking and social distancing will be required until herd immunity is reached and we have some hard proof (anecdotally and intuitively we do) that those vaccinated can't transmit COVID.  

    We have to be mindful to not put any more undue pressure on the health system.  Health care and other frontline workers are worn out, risking future worker shortages as current and potential entrants into those sectors consider whether or not to change their profession or go into it in the first place.

    IMO, Gottlieb has approached his analysis the right way and has been pretty spot on.  But, he's not in a political position.  I heard his April comment, which surprised me.  I'll be at the back end of vaccinations.  10% of Michigan's 16+ population has been fully vaccinated, more so in the northern rural counties.  With the continued distribution problems, I don't see how I'll have access to a vaccine by the end of April.  July seems more realistic, but still close to 50/50.  Merck's production of the J&J vaccine is good news.  Supply won't be an issue; it will come down to distribution.

    We plan on attending weddings we were supposed to last year, driving, not flying.  We probably won't participate in large group events, keeping our distance, but we'll be there.  I'm fortunate I'm in a job I can work from home, and while I'm tired of it, I accept it, knowing others can't.  

    Until then, I will wait patiently, mask, and social distance.  I don't think I'm high risk, but I did get double pneumonia a couple of years ago and hearing that this is much worse and knowing about COVID long haulers, I still take this very seriously.
    DICKNescacdad
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

    "Normal" has changed.  Once herd immunity is reached, a switch won't be flipped and everything won't be returned to a pre-pandemic state.  


    Drive-thru and curbside pickup of food and other retail items will expand and become permanent, eliminating some jobs.  Think of the service worker in Detroit, New York, Chicago or any other major urban area that can't go to work because of child care concerns or a shut down business that faces back rent payments once the eviction moratoria end.  There's a significant amount of shake out that will happen on the back end of this.

    At least some offices will adopt permanent hybrid models to accommodate teleworking.  We're doing that.  The City of Detroit has already included a 10% permanent drop in office occupancy rates in their future revenue models.

    The share of consumer spending that e-commerce has gained won't be given back to brick-and-mortar stores.  Speculative construction of warehouse/last mile delivery has increased exponentially in recent months and will likely not slow down for the time being.  This will align well with autonomous delivery functions that will start to come online in the next 10-20 years.

    I would imagine that the manufacturing of critical PPE will come back onshore, not having to rely on Chinese suppliers as much.

    I would guess that some kind of health screening prior to international travel will become permanent to try and avoid how COVID spread.

    Willingness to take the vaccine continues to inch higher as more people become vaccinated without complications.  Greater focus needs to be on the number of vaccinations, not the few serious complications that have occurred.

    Masking and social distancing will be required until herd immunity is reached and we have some hard proof (anecdotally and intuitively we do) that those vaccinated can't transmit COVID.  

    We have to be mindful to not put any more undue pressure on the health system.  Health care and other frontline workers are worn out, risking future worker shortages as current and potential entrants into those sectors consider whether or not to change their profession or go into it in the first place.

    IMO, Gottlieb has approached his analysis the right way and has been pretty spot on.  But, he's not in a political position.  I heard his April comment, which surprised me.  I'll be at the back end of vaccinations.  10% of Michigan's 16+ population has been fully vaccinated, more so in the northern rural counties.  With the continued distribution problems, I don't see how I'll have access to a vaccine by the end of April.  July seems more realistic, but still close to 50/50.  Merck's production of the J&J vaccine is good news.  Supply won't be an issue; it will come down to distribution.

    We plan on attending weddings we were supposed to last year, driving, not flying.  We probably won't participate in large group events, keeping our distance, but we'll be there.  I'm fortunate I'm in a job I can work from home, and while I'm tired of it, I accept it, knowing others can't.  

    Until then, I will wait patiently, mask, and social distance.  I don't think I'm high risk, but I did get double pneumonia a couple of years ago and hearing that this is

    much worse and knowing about COVID long haulers, I still take this very seriously.

    I agree with most everything you said. Well written.
    Nescacdad
  • FredFred Dodds God
    I guess if Miami is going to have a schedule like this, it is good to have it during COVID when they can't get big crowds anyway.  Probably one of, if not the least interesting schedule, dating back to my freshman year of 1982 (home games with William & Mary, EMU, BG, UT and CMU).  At least in 1982 all games were Saturday and there was the 'last season in Miami Field' angle.  
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2
    Fred, I came back for the BG game in 1982....pretty sure it was homecoming. Both teams were undefeated and the game was broadcast regionally (by CBS or ABC maybe) with Dave Diles doing the announcing. Miami Field was packed that day and we won a close game. Rest of the year was a disappointment and we ended up 7-4.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, the BG and CMU game both ended up being pretty big events and big draws.  Looking at our schedule this year, the home Saturday game vs CMU looks to be the only attractive date, since the weeknight games have lost their appeal to most.  The night game against Buffalo is likely to be very important.
    ChrisW1980
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

    Yeah, the BG and CMU game both ended up being pretty big events and big draws.  Looking at our schedule this year, the home Saturday game vs CMU looks to be the only attractive date, since the weeknight games have lost their appeal to most.  The night game against Buffalo is likely to be very important.


    Yep, about 10 or so years ago night games became television events for me. The younger self did not mind driving the 4 hour trip home. The now me can’t do it anymore.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited March 3
    My sister-in law is the head of cardiac and respiratory nursing at a large Iowa hospital that dealt with a significant outbreak last summer. She and my brother (Miami ‘73 and a Xavier MS in Hospital Administration) both got the Pfizer vaccine as soon as it became available to them.
    skin66 said:

    I am sitting in my wife’s hospital room waiting for her to get transported to surgery. (Renal stint). I have talked to at least three nurses who have no intention of getting the vaccine. One because of pregnancy the others just don’t want it.

  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

    I am sitting in my wife’s hospital room waiting for her to get transported to surgery. (Renal stint). I have talked to at least three nurses who have no intention of getting the vaccine. One because of pregnancy the others just don’t want it.

    I hear about healthcare workers not wanting to get the vaccine and all I can think is "fine I'll take your dose, please give it to me then"
    NescacdadBash_Riprock
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Off-Campus Slummer
    MU-UC game only on ESPN+?
    That seems a bit lame. No ESPN or 2 or U.
    ESPN + is still OK, but not as main stream.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly

    MU-UC game only on ESPN+?

    That seems a bit lame. No ESPN or 2 or U.
    ESPN + is still OK, but not as main stream.
    The American tv deal has them sending a lot of their games to ESPN+ so that's why. It looks like only their OOC home games against P5 teams (and UCF vs Boise) are on national TV, everything else in on ESPN+

  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

    MU-UC game only on ESPN+?

    That seems a bit lame. No ESPN or 2 or U.
    ESPN + is still OK, but not as main stream.
    Our punishment for being rivals with a mid-major.
    Bash_RiprockNescacdadRedseaLove_and_HonorQuinoaburgergrumpy1killgas20Professor_Fate90skin
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Havighurstite
    According to Ball State site, 3:30 kick in Muncie.
Sign In or Register to comment.