Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Not a terribly charitable review of Miami recruiting

miamialummiamialum Summer Orientee
Bill Landis has a comprehensive review of recruiting in Ohio that was published in the Athletic. They interviewed nine high school trainers and coaches from throughout the state. It was mainly about Ohio State (and Cincinnati and Kentucky) but they did ask the coaches who should be doing better. Miami was mentioned prominently but not kindly. I am not suggesting that the coaching staff isn't doing well and getting good players so I thought these reviews were a bit startling.

Coach 2: Bowling Green has been terrible, just
because they’ve brought in some guys who aren’t from Ohio and have no
idea how things work. Miami (Ohio) is the best academically, great
facilities and we’ve had kids pick other MAC schools over them. Myself,
I’d rather go to Miami (Ohio). Them and Toledo should be elite every
year.

Coach 3: If I were at Miami University, we would own
the state of Ohio and the city of Cincinnati. I think they do an
unbelievably shitty job of recruiting kids, and they’re right down the
road from us. I’ve got six guys who would go to Miami and end up being
starters for them, and they haven’t offered any of them.

I'm just curious what others think about the state of Miami recruiting.

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Pretty damning assessment, but keep in mind it’s only one coach’s perspective.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    if one high school team has 6 guys who would all be starters... that's a pretty loaded program.  lol
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Burner account for the dad of that guy who transferred? ;)
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    I won’t argue we are lighting the world on fire but Coach 3 in particular really sounds like sour grapes…
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited July 12
    elpalito said:

if one high school team has 6 guys who would all be starters... that's a pretty loaded program.  lol

Don't laugh, could be Colerain, or X both 25 miles, "straight down the road" per say.....probably Colerain (but we've recruited them well over the years I think).....so maybe X?

Anyway, sounds like someone with an agenda!
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Senior Barfly
    edited July 12
    Coach #3 maybe correct using athletic ability, and possibly grades, as the only criteria to receive an offer.

Being able to start for Miami, versus ticking off the boxes our staff looks for when they evaluate talent, are on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes down to recruiting. From watching out coaches recruit they place as much weight on athletic ability as they do character, winning attitude from a winning program, being unselfish, mental maturity, doing what is best for the team versus the individual, developing young men into adults who can make a difference in society, recruiting men who enjoy being part of a family/team and playing their role no matter how small or large, having the ability to learn academically and within the sport, willing to follow rules even if they disagree, willingness to be a leader when it is time to be a leader, willingness to be a positive example for their family, school, sport, friends and community. I’m certain I’ve missed some but high school coaches feelings are bruised when one of their players gets overlooked. HS coaches should know the “intangibles l” each college coach looks for and the priorities of them as well. Hopefully our coaching staff explains what they look for in players in hopes of decreasing unnecessary misunderstanding while keeping communication open. It is not an easy job.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Probably fewer of Coach #3's players we have the better.  Given the kind of leadership they've been under for the last four years.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    I have a different view of Coach 3: He knows what a great place Miami is and realizes that it isn't fully utilizing the local schools.  He believes that Miami has a ton to offer and should be at the top of most of the Ohio kids list (of similarly situated schools).

I recall the coaching staff at Miami when Shane was the coach.  They recruited the heck out of Ohio and competed all the time with the likes of Cincinnati and very rarely got beat out by any other MAC school. 
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Coach 3 is probably the coach at Linebacker HS.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    edited July 12
    I sort of agree with Nick. Love that coaches think Miami has a ton of potential even if they are pissed at the current coaching staff. I would love to see the same article on basketball.

Also I love that Miami was mentioned in a lot of the reader comments. For an article that included Ohio State and UC the number of Miami comments and % of Miami comments was fascinating to me
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    I’ve never really understood the angst about Miami recruiting Ohio players, but it comes up on this message board pretty much every year. Mostly from people reminiscing about the old days when Miami basically only recruited Ohio. I think we get good players and the proof is in the pudding (in conference). I don’t see why it really matters if they’re from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, etc. A lot of the kids we have from the tri state come from top level HS programs. We just got a commit from the defending state champion in Ohio (St. X). Tom Bolden, one of the best coaches in Ohio, sent his son here and has sent a couple others as well. I’m ok with our recruiting strategy.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

I’ve never really understood the angst about Miami recruiting Ohio players, but it comes up on this message board pretty much every year. Mostly from people reminiscing about the old days when Miami basically only recruited Ohio. I think we get good players and the proof is in the pudding (in conference). I don’t see why it really matters if they’re from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, etc. A lot of the kids we have from the tri state come from top level HS programs. We just got a commit from the defending state champion in Ohio (St. X). Tom Bolden, one of the best coaches in Ohio, sent his son here and has sent a couple others as well. I’m ok with our recruiting strategy.

Yeah this notion of "building a fence around your turf" is antiquated. Chuck is getting the guys that he wants (now what he and his staff do as far as development is a different conversation) so who cares.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    The article is behind a paywall. Cut and paste it if possible.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    edited July 13
    Nickskin said:

I have a different view of Coach 3: He knows what a great place Miami is and realizes that it isn't fully utilizing the local schools.  He believes that Miami has a ton to offer and should be at the top of most of the Ohio kids list (of similarly situated schools).

I recall the coaching staff at Miami when Shane was the coach.  They recruited the heck out of Ohio and competed all the time with the likes of Cincinnati and very rarely got beat out by any other MAC school. 
    What sways me the other way is the "If I were at Miami blah blah blah" comment and the vulgarity.  This just screams someone who thinks he's the smartest one in the room when the exact opposite is the case.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    This is an interesting article.

But at the end of the day, recruiting is a crap shoot in the MAC. Always has been and always will be. The coaches should go get the guys they want and they feel comfortable with. Then, they need to develop them. MAC players are more raw than your average P5 players. And it doesn't matter where they come from.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    I will say I don't think we do as good a job of recruiting in northern Ohio, especially NE Ohio as we have in the past. 

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I look at this article this way. Some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt, for some of these coaches may be disgruntled that their players aren't getting bigger or better offers. To some extent, perhaps, that reflects on them. But on the other hand, this is the type of article the coaching staff needs to read and see, and at least consider. So hopefully someone sent it to them.  Because recruiting Ohio will always be important to Miami, and if the HS coaches don't have a positive view about Miami, that will trickle down to their players. So if there are some coaches who feel Miami needs to do a better job, even if it is just communicating, Miami coaches would be wise to spend at least a little time further cultivating these relationships. With the new NIL rules, I think recruiting is going to take yet another interesting turn. Every relationship will matter.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

So hopefully someone sent it to them. 

Blues, you've already emailed it to the whole staff haven't you? ;)
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

So hopefully someone sent it to them. 

Blues, you've already emailed it to the whole staff haven't you? ;)
    After adding numerous annotations.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum
    The article is interesting.  But keep in mind that 709 high schools in Ohio played football last year and this article surveyed 9.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

The article is interesting.  But keep in mind that 709 high schools in Ohio played football last year and this article surveyed 9.

So you're saying that there may be a sample size issue at play here?
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    mz343 said:

I wonder how many had division 1 football players. Probably less than 100 right?
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    So some argue that the staff is doing well and should continue to recruit around the country.  In the same breath are we questioning that there is *some* sentiment from *some* Ohio HS coaches that Miami doesn’t focus enough in Ohio? Sounds like “we” agree with those Ohio HS coaches but perhaps we don’t like to hear Miami being spoken about in a negative light.

• HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Havighurstite
    https://twitter.com/RedHawk_Recruit/status/1414660382237597698?s=20

We still recruit the general Midwest really well. These coaches can't expect us to have 100% of our roster from Ohio.

QB - Gabbert (MO)

RB - Bester (IL), Johnson (MI), Davis (TN)

WR - Sorenson (IL), Hippenhammer (IN), Walker (IN)

OL - Shaffer (IN), Feth (OH), Clark (IN)

DL - Butler (KY), Phelps (OH)

LB - McWood (MI), Pace (OH)

CB - Rucker-Furlow (OH), Boswell (MI)

S - Brown (MI), Weatherford (IN)
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Both Pace and Bolden (LBs) are from Colerain HS, same year.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Coach 3 is definitely Specht from St X. Dude is a pompous asshole and always has been. He still won’t even let Wisconsin coaches in the school because when they became coaches at Pitt they didn’t reoffer Brandyn Cook, who then came to Miami, which that shit happens all the time.
  • Sprint513Sprint513 Summer Orientee
    Spanks004 said:

Coach 3 is definitely Specht from St X. Dude is a pompous asshole and always has been. He still won’t even let Wisconsin coaches in the school because when they became coaches at Pitt they didn’t reoffer Brandyn Cook, who then came to Miami, which that shit happens all the time.

Grant Lyons committed to Miami in june. Brian Parker also has a listed offer. Either Specht is delusional or it's a different coach.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I want to mention this here. The Athletic did an article today in which they polled 12 current MAC players. One of the questions was, "if you could play for any MAC coach other than your own, who would it be?"
    Of the 12, 3 didn't answer. Chuck received 4 votes and no other coach received more than a single vote.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I want to mention this here. The Athletic did an article today in which they polled 12 current MAC players. One of the questions was, "if you could play for any MAC coach other than your own, who would it be?"
    Of the 12, 3 didn't answer. Chuck received 4 votes and no other coach received more than a single vote.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I know we've been frustrated with his coaching decisions at times over the years, but you can see how much the players love him as well as his genuine passion for what he does. And he's got that affable personality. I frequently see him talking to opposing players after the game. I don't know what he's saying, but he'll put his arm around a guy and say presumably some nice stuff to him, so maybe one of these guys who voted got one of those Chuck chats after a game. Ha