Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Akron Game Thread

1235»

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

any word on Gabbert's status and prognosis?

From what I have heard, he should be starting next week.
    If he's not at 100%, I don't think it makes sense to play him next week. Looking at the upcoming schedules, I don't think this one will have a huge impact in the division race. The really important games are later in the season against Buffalo, Kent St, and then hopefully the MACCG. It's better to let him rest and get fully healthy so that he's ready to go for those games. We don't want a repeat of earlier this season where he was rushed back and aggravated the injury issues, which would potentially force him to miss those important games. Mayer is a serviceable replacement when he's put in a position to succeed (as he was this week), so it's not like we'd just be conceding defeat.
    I think winning the Ball State game would probably give us the opportunity to win the East before the last game at Kent.  It is the toughest game left on our schedule.  If we don't win this game, we would almost surely have to win out, unless Kent collapses.
    The only way we could clinch before that game is if we run the table and Kent loses two. The only way we could be eliminated before that game is if Kent runs the table and we lose one, or Kent goes 3-1 and we lose two. It seems pretty likely that the Kent game will be a de facto semifinal.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    The MAC is a freaky conference. It would appear this season that almost every team could easily lose to a decent FCS team and/or either beat or come close to beating a Minnesota, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Tech, Pitt or Notre Dame. It’s complete inconsistency makes it one of the more interesting conferences to follow.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    It appears that some MAC schools relish the challenge of playing against P5 powers while others just concede before the game is even played.....at least that's my observation.
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    We use to relish playing and beating P5 powers. The times have changed
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    If nothing else, these wins by MAC teams certainly destroy Chuck’s narrative that we simply cannot compete w some P5 programs. Western’s win over Pitt looking like a real high quality win as the season progresses.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Bowling Green is 0-3 in the MAC, and beat Minnesota....

• NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Yep. And NIU’s win over GT looked a lot bigger after the Jackets rolled UNC in Atlanta..
    Cincykid3 said:

If nothing else, these wins by MAC teams certainly destroy Chuck’s narrative that we simply cannot compete w some P5 programs. Western’s win over Pitt looking like a real high quality win as the season progresses.

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

I don't know who should feel worse: Minnesota for losing to BG, or Miami for losing to Minnesota.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

skins said:

I don't know who should feel worse: Minnesota for losing to BG, or Miami for losing to Minnesota.
    Minnesota would probably be ranked right now if they hadn't lost that game. They'd also have a great shot of being 8-1 going into the Iowa game, which would give them a legit playoff path if they could pull a couple upsets.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

skins said:

Minnesota would probably be ranked right now if they hadn't lost that game. They'd also have a great shot of being 8-1 going into the Iowa game, which would give them a legit playoff path if they could pull a couple upsets.
    So... not Miami. ;D
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

any word on Gabbert's status and prognosis?

From what I have heard, he should be starting next week.
    If he's not at 100%, I don't think it makes sense to play him next week. Looking at the upcoming schedules, I don't think this one will have a huge impact in the division race. The really important games are later in the season against Buffalo, Kent St, and then hopefully the MACCG. It's better to let him rest and get fully healthy so that he's ready to go for those games. We don't want a repeat of earlier this season where he was rushed back and aggravated the injury issues, which would potentially force him to miss those important games. Mayer is a serviceable replacement when he's put in a position to succeed (as he was this week), so it's not like we'd just be conceding defeat.
    I think winning the Ball State game would probably give us the opportunity to win the East before the last game at Kent.  It is the toughest game left on our schedule.  If we don't win this game, we would almost surely have to win out, unless Kent collapses.
    The only way we could clinch before that game is if we run the table and Kent loses two. The only way we could be eliminated before that game is if Kent runs the table and we lose one, or Kent goes 3-1 and we lose two. It seems pretty likely that the Kent game will be a de facto semifinal.
    In looking at our schedule, IF we can beat Ball State in Muncie, we should be able to win our other 3 games before Kent.  In looking at Kent's schedule, their 4 games before playing us are at Ohio, NIU at home, at CMU, and at Akron. They could easily lose 2 or more of those games, IMO.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited October 18
    Re6H5wk said:

skins said:

Minnesota I'm sure embarrassed....but have gone on to beat ranked Purdue, beat Nebraska, and of course two MAC brethren, one that is 0-3 and one that is not have beaten teams on our OOC, that we cannot b/c they are too big, too tough, too fast and above the MAC, per CM.