Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Invisible Man

skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
This is spooky. A few things disappearing at a time. Just like the book/movie. First a hand, then an arm. For us the responses are going away - next the whole body ( of work). Our days are numbered. The board will be invisible soon

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

• skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

Well pl

• profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I'm melting.....
    ....melting.....
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Apparently we have failed the test...
    Re6H5wk said:

Apparently we have failed the test...

I couldn’t read half of it and the multiple choice part had no answers.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Server Knome is going Thanos on Hawk Talk.
  • skin66 said:

This is spooky. A few things disappearing at a time. Just like the book/movie. First a hand, then an arm. For us the responses are going away - next the whole body ( of work). Our days are numbered. The board will be invisible soon

Considering the owner of this website is perpetually MIA, some of the admins have taken upon themselves to do some things that will prolong the life of this message board and site. Yes, some features (that were basically worthless) have been removed.

I am not speaking for said admins, but now you know what is going on. We are doing what we can, when we can.
    Communication is key in most things. The current state of the board, the .reasoning behind changes, the possibility of more changes communicated to the members would stop most bitching. Not all, but most. Somebody (s) is doing a fantastic job keeping things going.

skin66 said:

Considering the owner of this website is perpetually MIA, some of the admins have taken upon themselves to do some things that will prolong the life of this message board and site. Yes, some features (that were basically worthless) have been removed.

I am not speaking for said admins, but now you know what is going on. We are doing what we can, when we can.
    I'm just happy we have a place to talk Miami sports. Curious- how does removing those features prolong the life of the board?
  • Server_GnomeServer_Gnome Wealthy Alum
    The site owner is not maintaining the site software.

The moderators have no access to the backend of the site to view error logs, apply updates, or add new features, but the moderators have limited access to some settings of the site software as it exists now.

As this site software becomes more outdated, extra items (plugins) that were added to the base software can pose potential security and stability risks. Without access to the logs, the moderators do not have any leading indicators of failure due to obsolete software.

In order to reduce the risk of third-party "feature" plugins breaking and taking the site down permanently, the moderators are removing extraneous "features" that were never fully implemented so that the site stays alive for as long as possible.

The site owner is not maintaining the site software.

The moderators have no access to the backend of the site to view error logs, apply updates, or add new features, but the moderators have limited access to some settings of the site software as it exists now.

As this site software becomes more outdated, extra items (plugins) that were added to the base software can pose potential security and stability risks. Without access to the logs, the moderators do not have any leading indicators of failure due to obsolete software.

In order to reduce the risk of third-party "feature" plugins breaking and taking the site down permanently, the moderators are removing extraneous "features" that were never fully implemented so that the site stays alive for as long as possible.
    Yep
    Thanks for the info, gnome! The work of all the mods is certainly appreciated.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    People seem to forget we are still in the testing phase that we must endure before the unveiling of the NEW MHT.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    edited October 17
    A2 hosting with tons of pre-installed state-of-the-art forum software: $2.99 per month

Domain hawktalk.us: $1.99 a month.

Using a website that is perpetually in test phase prone to all kinds of security problems : priceless

“There are some things money can’t buy. For everything else there’s Mastercard.”
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Wealthy Alum
    Can we still access the Ricky Stanzi thread?
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

People seem to forget we are still in the testing phase that we must endure before the unveiling of the NEW MHT.

Insightful.
    We need to prepare for a tomorrow without MHT. Essentially the CSN site, unless someone else is willing to host one.

We need to prepare for a tomorrow without MHT. Essentially the CSN site, unless someone else is willing to host one.

Insightful

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Where is Redsteve?
    Cincykid3 said:

Where is Redsteve?

Under there

• redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

Where is Redsteve?

Under there

Seriously though, he's living his life. He has other priorities besides this website.

redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

Where is Redsteve?

Under there

Seriously though, he's living his life. He has other priorities besides this website.
    Good for him, but he should abdicate those responsibilities to someone capable of maintaining this site.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    MattS: I wasn’t referring to administrative duties managing the site in my query about Redsteve...more so I was wondering why he doesn’t post anymore at all. I have met RS on a couple of occasions, and know his passion for Miami sports so just a little perplexed and saddened by his complete absence.
  • mattsledgemattsledge Dodds God
    edited October 21

redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

Where is Redsteve?

Under there

Good for him, but he should abdicate those responsibilities to someone capable of maintaining this site.

Steve owes none of us absolutely anything and has been paying for this domain on his own since he started this as a passion project 21 years ago. He has no need to abdicate any responsibilities since he owns the domain and website and if he wants to keep it without maintaining it in absentia, that's his call.

If you want your own Miami fan site/message board, the message is clear from Steve: Do it yourself, you're more than welcome to do so.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

redhawk11 said:

Cincykid3 said:

Where is Redsteve?

Under there

Steve owes none of us absolutely anything and has been paying for this domain on his own since he started this as a passion project 21 years ago. He has no need to abdicate any responsibilities since he owns the domain and website and if he wants to keep it without maintaining it in absentia, that's his call.

If you want your own Miami fan site/message board, the message is clear from Steve: Do it yourself, you're more than welcome to do so.
    Haven't seen any message from Steve. But if that's the message, ok, cool. Hook 'em.
    1). Didn’t we once upon a time discuss donations to keep the cite running?
    2). I would certainly donate if there were a safe and easy way.
    3). Steve is more than free to do or not do or say anything he wants with his board.
    4). People can say anything they want on this board.
    5). Steve or the moderators can ban anyone they want for saying stupid things.
    6). I will miss this board when it goes away.
    7). That’s all I have for the moment. (Unless you want to discuss beer or mustard types)
    I don't understand why Steve has decided to take this path. We are all thankful he took on this project 2 decades ago. It's a great place for all of us to discuss something we all enjoy.
    Why wouldn't he either take care of it or give it up?
    Why is he choosing to let it sit and rot while it endures a slow and agonizing death?
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    I don't know Steve personally, and cannot contact him. But if someone who can do so would let him know that we are interested in maintaining the site to keep the community alive, I would certainly be willing to put some money on it. And I would imagine that many of the wealthy alums here would also be willing to throw down as well.

The attitude of "go start your own site" is certainly his prerogative to have, but it's not exactly that simple for us because this community has been long established, and is really the only Miami athletics fan forum that I know of. It would be a shame to see it continue to waste away until it possibly disappears altogether. I'm just saying that we could get together and pony up some cash, if that is what it would take. I'd be willing to throw down and I'd bet many others here would as well.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

I don't know Steve personally, and cannot contact him. But if someone who can do so would let him know that we are interested in maintaining the site to keep the community alive, I would certainly be willing to put some money on it. And I would imagine that many of the wealthy alums here would also be willing to throw down as well.

The attitude of "go start your own site" is certainly his prerogative to have, but it's not exactly that simple for us because this community has been long established, and is really the only Miami athletics fan forum that I know of. It would be a shame to see it continue to waste away until it possibly disappears altogether. I'm just saying that we could get together and pony up some cash, if that is what it would take. I'd be willing to throw down and I'd bet many others here would as well.

There was a group of us that approached him and offered up to $10,000 during the St. Petersburg bowl. He said no because he was going to be more active with the site. Not sure he's even been around since that.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited October 22
    JiveHawk said:

There was a group of us that approached him and offered up to $10,000 during the St. Petersburg bowl. He said no because he was going to be more active with the site. Not sure he's even been around since that.
    Per his profile, his last sign on was November 2015. Trying to understand the headspace of someone who continues to pay the monthly costs to own a forum, refuses to make necessary updates to the site (causing us to lose features), hasn't posted in over 6 years, hasn't even signed on in more than 5 years, yet still turns down a 5 figure offer to sell it to active users who want to maintain the community. Just baffling.
This discussion has been closed.