Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Ben's 2003 MU vs '21 UC

Who wins?

Comments

• greggie76greggie76 Senior Barfly
    Miami
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    eh...not sure, seems that way, but Ben never ranked 3rd..did not beat Iowa....so, hard to say.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Tough to compare teams from different eras. Def advantage goes to the Miami QB, though.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited October 16
    skins said:

eh...not sure, seems that way, but Ben never ranked 3rd..did not beat Iowa....so, hard to say.

Iowa finished 6th that year? Maybe 8th? It’s not like that was some mediocre BCS (remember those letters?) conference team.

Also we could have been undefeated that year and we still probably wouldn’t have been 3rd because that is the way the system was built.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

skins said:

Iowa finished 6th that year? Maybe 8th? It’s not like that was some mediocre BCS (remember those letters?) conference team.

Also we could have been undefeated that year and we still probably wouldn’t have been 3rd because that is the way the system was built.
    Also while UC is really f'n good this year, their ranking is almost certainly boosted by being very good last season as well. They started in the Top 25 unlike us in 2003.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Miami would probably win a close one. This UC team is over ranked by about 10-15 spots…
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    UC would probably be favored, and I would think they’d win by a touchdown. If not for a muffed punt, UC might have even won that game in 2003.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    UC is very good. #3 in the country? Probably not. As others pointed out, they didn't have to climb as high to reach #3 as they were ranked pretty high coming into the season. Several top-ranked teams have already lost, also helping to boost their ranking. Their best non-conference win was at ND. Ours was probably our bowl win over UL. Edge to UC there. The MAC was pretty good in '03, though top-heavy. Our two wins over ranked BG teams were impressive, as was the blowout over Marshall. I'd say the conference that year was comparable to the AAC today.

I just looked it up, and I had no idea we finished #5 in the Sagarin ratings in '03. I don't know if those ratings are transferable across seasons, but if so, we'd be favored by 4 on a neutral field. The eye test tells me UC would be favored by maybe 5.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum
    It's hard not to be biased, but I think we'd win a high-scoring game, say 48-37 or something like that.  I think we'd move the ball every time against their defense.  UC's back end is very good, but Ben would run around and make plays, throwing it to everyone behind an offensive line that had 4 guys make NFL training camps, including a draft choice and a CFL tight end.  If our current offensive line could grind out some yards for the running game this year, think what that line could do with better running backs.

On the flip side, UC has really good backs and receivers.  Their offensive line has played well.  But Ridder, while good and may get drafted early, isn't the elite QB that Ben was.  I think we'd bend, but not totally break on defense.  It would be an entertaining game.  Plus, while I'm in the minority and I'm fine with the current coaching staff, I would take Hep, Narduzzi, and that coaching staff over Fickell and his.  
  • MightyMUMightyMU Dodds God
    edited October 16
    I think we would win. Good game, but Ben was too good. We would score--a bunch. Long drives keeps UC on the sideline.Can't score from the bench.Could the D hold Ridder and Co? Along with limiting UC's possessions, the D is also enough to win the game. I felt at the time that there were only 3-4 teams that would definitely beat us. UC would not have been on that list. And throw the Iowa game out as the outlier.
    edited October 18
    We barely held on to win against UC in 2003...

Listen Ben is a huge factor here, so could happen...but pretty tough call, given we scored almost no points versus Iowa....UC is overrated as a team...but their D is not.
  • DesertHawkDesertHawk Summer Orientee
    Whatifsports.com
    Let’s you sim the game, but only updated to 2020 teams. ‘03 MU wins at home and on neutral fields. ‘20 UC wins in Nippert.
    Sounds about right.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    If you don't remember the 2003 Miami team, it was a powerhouse. I still maintain if we played Iowa a little later in the year and not first game of the season, we win. Miami was the most complete MAC team I have ever seen. I know I am biased, but I take 2003 Miami over 2021 UC. Don't forget how tremendously well coached that Miami team was as well. And deep. 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Completely agree!